FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL] Tickle My Android - Decompile & Recompile With Ease

6,673 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,487

By Ticklefish, Recognized Themer on 3rd May 2012, 05:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Ticklefish: Please Do NOT Use The 'Downloads' Tab - It's Not Working Properly!
13th September 2019, 02:12 AM |#7841  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklefish

Framework files, or framework APK files, are files that contain resources that are used by other APK files in the rom. The main one is "framework-res.apk" but some developers like to add their own to the mix as well. Framework files have, or should have otherwise it gets confusing, "res" in their filename.

Framework files need to be installed (via TMA, not your phone) before you decompile your APK. This will ensure that the resources in them will become available. This might be what's happening with your file. A few posts ago I shared a framework-res.apk from an Android 10 AOSP rom. Try installing that then decompiling and recompiling your file. If you still don't have any luck, could you share the file here please? I can give it a try and see what I can come up with.

Dragging and dropping here refers to a process done after recompiling. Essentially you'd open both the original and recompiled APK in 7zip or similar. Then you'd drag the changed files (like the "\res" folder, for instance) from the new APK into the old one. This ensures that the other files aren't touched.
Mainly this ensures that the META-INF folder isn't changed. This holds the key that the file is signed with and has to stay exactly the same (even down to the compression rate) or the new APK won't be installed. Apktool removes the need for this with the option I mentioned above but it seems that dragging and dropping might still be needed for Samsung.

Not the first time that Samsung has caused trouble, to be honest. Long-term subscribers of this thread may remember a few instances in the past where that company has given me a headache or two. Great hardware but not very friendly modder-friendly!

Ok. I downloaded the framework-res.apk file and installed it in TMA. No difference in results. I tried decompiling with Standard options, and recompiling with both Standard options and various Advanced options.

I've attached an apk of Speedtest that installs fine before decompiling/recompiling. Try this one and see how it goes! Thanks Ticklefish!
Attached Files
File Type: apk Speedtest by Ookla_v4.4.17_apkpure.com.apk - [Click for QR Code] (13.87 MB, 26 views)
13th September 2019, 11:03 AM |#7842  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradco

Little question how to update ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leito07

cant download

Weird. It just shows a 404 error when I click on the download button. I've uploaded it again and the download works. For now..

To update, it's normally best to delete the existing "\ticklemyandroid" folder and then download and run the EXE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7

Ok. I downloaded the framework-res.apk file and installed it in TMA. No difference in results. I tried decompiling with Standard options, and recompiling with both Standard options and various Advanced options.

I've attached an apk of Speedtest that installs fine before decompiling/recompiling. Try this one and see how it goes! Thanks Ticklefish!

Thanks, I'll check it out and get back to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
14th September 2019, 10:43 AM |#7843  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leito07

still cant ;/ please share like before on some hosting...

This is annoying. I'm having trouble as well..but there's been 28 downloads so it's working for some people. Very strange.

I've uploaded it to my Mediafire account. Try downloading from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8qgd9...v16.1.exe/file
The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
16th September 2019, 05:41 PM |#7844  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

This is annoying. I'm having trouble as well..but there's been 28 downloads so it's working for some people. Very strange.

I've uploaded it to my Mediafire account. Try downloading from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8qgd9...v16.1.exe/file

Thanks! Was also getting the 404 error trying to download from XDA but the Mediafile link worked great, thanks!
16th September 2019, 06:19 PM |#7845  
Quote:

This is annoying. I can't recompile this with apktool 2.4.0 or the recent 2.4.1 snapshot. It's not the APK's fault - I'm getting an conflict caused by the presence of 32-bit Java on my PC. Which is the work PC so I can't do anything about it. Damn.

So I had to try this with apktool_2.3.4.jar. This resulted in a new APK with a curious "/res" folder..

The original is on the left and the new APK is on the right. The suffixes denoting different version numbers (-v17, -v21,etc) has gone. Which means the "/layout-v16" folder seems to have merged with the "/layout" folder.
I wouldn't be surprised if this causes a problem in installation..but I don't know if that happens with the more recent versions of apktool. So the issue might not be related to this at all.

It's worth opening the original and recompiled APK files in 7z and just visually comparing the two. There will always be some minor size differences but the same folders and files should be in both.
19th September 2019, 12:35 AM |#7846  

More
Quote:

This is annoying. I can't recompile this with apktool 2.4.0 or the recent 2.4.1 snapshot. It's not the APK's fault - I'm getting an conflict caused by the presence of 32-bit Java on my PC. Which is the work PC so I can't do anything about it. Damn.

So I had to try this with apktool_2.3.4.jar. This resulted in a new APK with a curious "/res" folder..

The original is on the left and the new APK is on the right. The suffixes denoting different version numbers (-v17, -v21,etc) has gone. Which means the "/layout-v16" folder seems to have merged with the "/layout" folder.
I wouldn't be surprised if this causes a problem in installation..but I don't know if that happens with the more recent versions of apktool. So the issue might not be related to this at all.

It's worth opening the original and recompiled APK files in 7z and just visually comparing the two. There will always be some minor size differences but the same folders and files should be in both.

Hi Ticklefish,

Yes, I'm getting similar results. There is a definite change to the structure of the recompiled .apk. I'm definitely willing to assist you with this - just let me know what you would like to me to try.
21st September 2019, 02:14 PM |#7847  
Quote:

Hi Ticklefish,

Yes, I'm getting similar results. There is a definite change to the structure of the recompiled .apk. I'm definitely willing to assist you with this - just let me know what you would like to me to try.

What changes are there? Are we missing any files or folders?
30th September 2019, 01:01 AM |#7848  

More
Hey Ticklefish. I'm back on my feet. I've switched computers and I'm trying to download the latest version to get back to you on the difference between the files/folders but the download link isn't working. The downloads counter goes up when you attempt to download it but each time its error 404.
30th September 2019, 11:37 AM |#7849  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,544

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hey Ticklefish. I'm back on my feet. I've switched computers and I'm trying to download the latest version to get back to you on the difference between the files/folders but the download link isn't working. The downloads counter goes up when you attempt to download it but each time its error 404.

See post 7843
The Following User Says Thank You to Tulsadiver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tulsadiver Ad-Free
30th September 2019, 03:09 PM |#7850  
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsadiver

See post 7843

I'm having some trouble with the download tab for some unknown reason. I've just uploaded the file again and it seems to be working. So far, anyway..
30th September 2019, 11:55 PM |#7851  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsadiver

See post 7843

That link is infected with Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote:

I'm having some trouble with the download tab for some unknown reason. I've just uploaded the file again and it seems to be working. So far, anyway..

The counter has reset but still error 404. Also, the other version you uploaded to the other site is being flagged as having Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apktool, decompile, recompile, smali, xml

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)