41 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By mr.death7, Member on 1st November 2013, 01:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th November 2013, 06:55 PM |#11  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 108

More
KK was said to be optimized for devices with 512 MB+ RAM via Project Svelte. The Legend unfortunately doesn't even have that much.

But, I ask, why would everyone ideally want to have their Legends running Android 4.x? I don't understand why because although Gingerbread is now running on less than half of all Android devices, it was the last OS on our phone to run fluidly and with stability. With JB and above, Google's cramming more and more features into Google Play services, which really brings down the space the Legend has in its internal memory for apps. KK just won't run like Google intended to on this device. I just don't understand why people want the latest and greatest on a ~4 year old device. Maybe you have your reasons, and I'll respect that, but I can't think of any reason why personally.

It hurts to say, but with the Legend nearing four years since announcement, this phone isn't worth being developed for anymore. It wasn't that huge of a hit, like the original Desire or the Sensation. Therefore, it tends to be more forgotten. It doesn't have the computing power of neither of these devices, nor does it even come close to it, so while the aforementioned devices are slowly getting the bleeding edge, we'll be getting it slower, if at all.

It's a harsh reality, but if you want the best experience in Android possible, it's time to upgrade. ~Four years, that's around two two-year contracts. For Legend owners in Canada, your contract should have been up just this past summer. :P

This phone will always be a classic, guiding HTC through its brilliant design language with the HTC One flagship and its variants. Its legacy is shown on the devices that succeeded it. Unfortunately, I don't believe it has anything more to bring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asovse1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asovse1 Ad-Free
5th November 2013, 10:19 PM |#12  
OP Member

More
Hi Asovse1,

Thank you for your opinion.

You're right when you say that 4 years are an eternity for a smartphone but personally right now I can't afford a new device that would have for example the screen quality of the Legend (which has an amoled screen while even recent phone still use LCD). If I buy a new phone around 99 $ (my budget) I would have a screen with a poor resolution so the change is not worthy.

I have a JB Rom on my Legend and I can enjoy the last version of GMail for example that has really cool stuff. And this version of gmail runs rather smoothly on my phone, so why not ?

The Legend doesn't have 512MB RAM, for this reason he wasn't supposed to support ICS, but it worked, so while it works with the new version of Android, I will hope that a talented developer will build a Rom for this fantastic phone .

Or maybe I can wait just a few days ans see what the Moto G has to offer...

Cheers.
10th November 2013, 12:28 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Hear hear, someone in the same boat as myself. Still using my Legend for daily use. I am on CM7.2 stable. Only GPS is not reliable. Tried a lot higher roms, never worked out well.

I am looking into importing a Chinese phone. Nice specs and an affordable price. Only risk is a broken phone within 2 years...

Sent from my Legend using xda app-developers app
15th November 2013, 05:02 PM |#14  
OP Member

More
Hi Wim,

Have you ever tried the Baked one as I mentioned earlier?
I have it on my Legend and use it daily without any problem. And the GPS works too, even if sometimes it needs some time to find itself, once it's done, it works perfectly.
30th November 2013, 07:42 PM |#15  
OP Member

More
Hello there,

I have great news for all the fans of the Legend: it might get KitKat !

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...905588&page=28

Let's cross our fingers !

Cheers!
17th September 2019, 11:33 PM |#16  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 454

More
It's been 5 years, any news?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)