FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did this guide help you out?

Yes

1,374 Vote(s)
90.87%
No

138 Vote(s)
9.13%

[GUIDE] Want to learn how to theme?

21,305 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,774

By theimpaler747, Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer on 17th January 2011, 01:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th March 2019, 09:10 PM |#1751  
Thanks Meter: 340

Donate to Me
More
Hello Guys. Can someone help me to open bmp files in decompiled apk ?
Thanks in advanced
26th March 2019, 08:27 PM |#1752  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnys7679

Hello Guys. Can someone help me to open bmp files in decompiled apk ?
Thanks in advanced

What's the problem you're having?

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA1 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
26th March 2019, 09:37 PM |#1753  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklefish

What's the problem you're having?

I use the CarHD Rom by Carotix. I design this for myself according to my conception. All icons are supposed to be real pictures. But I do not find many pictures. So I have to open the bmp files to see what's behind it. Unfortunately, the bmp files contained in the Rom can not be opened with a single program. What can I do

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
27th March 2019, 09:26 PM |#1754  
Quote:

I use the CarHD Rom by Carotix. I design this for myself according to my conception. All icons are supposed to be real pictures. But I do not find many pictures. So I have to open the bmp files to see what's behind it. Unfortunately, the bmp files contained in the Rom can not be opened with a single program. What can I do

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Perhaps they're constructed in some unusual way. It's not common to see BMP images files in Android - it's normally PNG or some of Samsung's odd custom formats.
Can you share some of the APK files? I can take a look on my end.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
27th March 2019, 11:28 PM |#1755  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Perhaps they're constructed in some unusual way. It's not common to see BMP images files in Android - it's normally PNG or some of Samsung's odd custom formats.
Can you share some of the APK files? I can take a look on my end.

I do not know how to continue. Have tried everything. I hang an apk on. Maybe you will find a way.
Thank you in advance
https://mega.nz/#!N1wAgYjY!VhhUqMOHY...ZD1CpUdsi72cxI
29th March 2019, 05:30 PM |#1756  
Quote:

I do not know how to continue. Have tried everything. I hang an apk on. Maybe you will find a way.
Thank you in advance
https://mega.nz/#!N1wAgYjY!VhhUqMOHY...ZD1CpUdsi72cxI

Oh. I thought I'd be able to do something clever with these...but you're right. These are BMP files, but they're not encoded as normal BMP files. Samsung must have put these together in some odd way, which is not unusual for them sadly.
I can't really help much here. I've no idea what they've done. Sorry.
29th March 2019, 06:41 PM |#1757  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Oh. I thought I'd be able to do something clever with these...but you're right. These are BMP files, but they're not encoded as normal BMP files. Samsung must have put these together in some odd way, which is not unusual for them sadly.
I can't really help much here. I've no idea what they've done. Sorry.

Yes, Samsung is known for that. But no problem. Thanks anyway for your help
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunnys7679 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bunnys7679 Ad-Free
18th June 2019, 09:16 AM |#1758  
Account currently disabled
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thank you boss for tutorial!
8th September 2019, 08:16 PM |#1759  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimpaler747

I'm asked all the time how to theme; what's the best way, the best tools, etc. Well, I'm going to compile the best resources that I think will get you up and theming. It's a process, and you'll need to have time and devotion, but these tools and tips will help

This is the best guide that I know of out there for theming; it is comprehensive, and if you use it, you should give a big thanks to the makers of it.

I find both of these to be great; I have apk manager (windows and linux) on my pc, and apktool (windows, mac, and linux) on my mac. APK manager will likely be best for beginners due to its simplistic and user friendly UI, and it offers some more features then apktool, like zipaligning, optimizing, etc. Both are fantastic, and absolutely a huge help for theming and decompiling apps.

It's always helpful to know how to use the SDK for adb, zipaligning, and other tasks. Remember, even if you have other tools like apk manager to zipalign, it's always good to know how to do it by hand And you'll need tools in it like draw9patch for those pesky .9pngs

You will use this all the time. Editing files like decompiled XMLs on this is a breeze

You'll use this every time you do XML edits; you'll need these color codes to tell the XMLs what color you want to show up

Want to go all out? Go photoshop in pinoy tv. Want a great, free tool to theme with? Gimp is the way to go. Either way, you'll want to use one of these tools for png edits when theming. Paint.net is also another good free tool for edits.

For you mac users like me, Hex Fiend comes in handy if you ever need to edit binary (non readable or decompiled) XML.

Fabulous tool on windows to create and modify elements of updates zips

Want to make an ADW theme? This is a great tool to get you started on that
  • Knowledge

You'll want some general knowledge with terminal or windows cmd prompt. Because you will use it. Also, you'll need to know what to edit in a theme to change aspects of color and such correctly. Well, this is a great tool to find out what you need to edit

I'll be adding to this guide as needed. Please, feel free to ask any questions, and I'll be here to answer them Hope this helps everyone!

That's really cool. When i go to change the layout of my phone always recommend me for launcher but i hate lauchner
The Following User Says Thank You to wariaway For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wariaway Ad-Free
30th September 2019, 06:27 AM |#1760  
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
that's powerful article
12th October 2019, 06:31 PM |#1761  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
This thread is old lol
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
how to theme, theimpaler747, theme guide, themes, theming help