FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th September 2019, 06:11 PM |#11781  
Thanks Meter: 381

More
When I went to upgrade from my Nexus 7 tablets a while back the only acceptable replacement I could find was the Samsung Tab S2 (T813 or T713 different screen sizes). Both are unlockable and have good custom ROM support and have official LOS16 support. No SIM card though, just WIFI only. I was able to easily find 4 new ones a couple years ago. Not sure what you'll find now. I looked recently and didn't see support for any newer tablets.
30th September 2019, 11:08 AM |#11782  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
My current phone is Lenovo Zuk Z2 Plus, 4GB 64GB version.
My friend has a OnePlus 6T, 8GB 128GB phone with original screen guard and cover. The phone is still in warranty period and in a very good condition.
I can buy this phone for ₹ 24,000 (~334 USD) from him and my budget is around that.
I'm also a fan of ROM developments, tweaking, and so on. I also found that the development of OnePlus 6T is still there with strong base in XDA.
Please let me know if this deal is a good one or not.
Also please tell if any other phone is there at this range with support in XDA.
1st October 2019, 01:03 PM |#11783  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/oneplus-6t/unlocked

As you can see, $334 is a bit high for a OnePlus 6t in good or excellent condition. If you buy used on Swappa you also gain the ability to buy damage insurance. A claim for damage can be used at certain local repair shops.

The Google Pixel series also has good developer support. Unlike OnePlus, Google Pixels other than the bargain Pixel 3a actually have published waterproofing ratings. Keep in mind that there are 3 likely ways that you will kill your phone:

1. Display damage
2. Water damage
3. Battery life reduction

#1 should be prevented by using a screen protector and a quality rugged case. Even if you do that, #2 is quite likely. Having a waterproof-rated phone like the Pixels will guard against that. If you own the phone for many years then #3 will get you instead. If #3 gets you then you've got the most money out of your phone.

OnePlus 5 and above are rumored to have some waterproofing but without an official rating, who really knows?
The Following User Says Thank You to midtempo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift midtempo Ad-Free
4th October 2019, 03:07 AM |#11784  
Thanks Meter: 381

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescable

I know its not the 6t, but what's the best tablet with root support and good ROM development. It does NOT have to have T-Mobile capability but would like TMobile sim support. I have issues with someone emulators on my 6t so looking to play in tablets

Found this post in the T813 LOS thread. Looks like you might keep an eye on the Tab S5 section. I maybe upgrading my tablets soon as well.
5th October 2019, 12:58 PM |#11785  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by faaramin

My current phone is Lenovo Zuk Z2 Plus, 4GB 64GB version.

My friend has a OnePlus 6T, 8GB 128GB phone with original screen guard and cover. The phone is still in warranty period and in a very good condition.

I can buy this phone for ₹ 24,000 (~334 USD) from him and my budget is around that.

I'm also a fan of ROM developments, tweaking, and so on. I also found that the development of OnePlus 6T is still there with strong base in XDA.

Please let me know if this deal is a good one or not.

Also please tell if any other phone is there at this range with support in XDA.

Seems like a fair deal. You can also consider a brand new Xiaomi Mi9t Pro at a similar price and with latest Snapdragon chip

Sent from my Redmi K20 using Tapatalk
7th October 2019, 10:50 PM |#11786  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So, after using my Samsung S5 Mini for years now it seems to die more and more. Buying a new battery is which was not on stock for years before if about 30€. Also it's getting slower and slower. I am already using crDroid with Android Pie on it, custom kernel settings and tweaks here and there.
I also have a Huawai P8 Lite 2017 here and it's horrible. EMUI, horrible. Also I don't like this company anymore since I've read that they removec the possibility to get free bootloader unlocked codes due to "better user experience". Ah ok ... better for the user to deny this free possibility

So, I would like to buy a new one now. One which is working fine. When the screen is off and I click the "wake up power button" I want the screen to be on in, let's say, less than 1 to 2 seconds like on my S5 Mini.
I don't play on a phone. I use it for reading news in the train and ... for calling. Discord I use too, nothing else. I don't watch movies on it and I also don't listen to music.

Would you recommend the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It's only 89€ here. If not, what other phones with a similar price you recommend?
Important to me is that I can install TWRP and a custom ROM later as I don't like stock roms. Ah, and Root with Magisk would be fine too.

Thank you!
8th October 2019, 04:48 AM |#11787  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badoolo

So, after using my Samsung S5 Mini for years now it seems to die more and more. Buying a new battery is which was not on stock for years before if about 30€. Also it's getting slower and slower. I am already using crDroid with Android Pie on it, custom kernel settings and tweaks here and there.
I also have a Huawai P8 Lite 2017 here and it's horrible. EMUI, horrible. Also I don't like this company anymore since I've read that they removec the possibility to get free bootloader unlocked codes due to "better user experience". Ah ok ... better for the user to deny this free possibility

So, I would like to buy a new one now. One which is working fine. When the screen is off and I click the "wake up power button" I want the screen to be on in, let's say, less than 1 to 2 seconds like on my S5 Mini.
I don't play on a phone. I use it for reading news in the train and ... for calling. Discord I use too, nothing else. I don't watch movies on it and I also don't listen to music.

Would you recommend the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It's only 89€ here. If not, what other phones with a similar price you recommend?
Important to me is that I can install TWRP and a custom ROM later as I don't like stock roms. Ah, and Root with Magisk would be fine too.

Thank you!

If want older device, try S7. Good rom community and good performance. If want new, get OnePlus 6. I have both and they are both great.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
8th October 2019, 06:54 AM |#11788  

More
Sorry, both way too expensive. I don't need high end hardware.
Just wanted to know about the Xiaomi if it's recommended, not other phones.
8th October 2019, 09:19 PM |#11789  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:

Sorry, both way too expensive. I don't need high end hardware.
Just wanted to know about the Xiaomi if it's recommended, not other phones.

Well, my Samsung S6 from 2015 has almost the same specs, just the screen a bit smaller. The phone is adequate, given if you buy the 3gb of ram version. The ones with just 2gb of ram, you are going to have problem with the memory. The S7, as suggested in the previous post, is the flagship from 2016. Still supported by Samsung. If you want something more inclined towards battery, you could go with the Samsung M20 or M30. They have been recently launched in India, for some moderate prices. Word of advice, buy something more expensive than 90$ and popular. That would ensure the device is getting updates from the mother company and custom rom from the community. Take my s6 for example. Samsung supported it from lollipop (Android 5.0) till Nougat (Android 7.0). The community supported it till Pie (Android 9.0). I can bet some day i will be running Android 10.
8th October 2019, 09:34 PM |#11790  

More
What about the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It has Android 9.0 when buying already.

The Xiaomi Redmi 7 (the one with 32 GB of memory) even has 3 GB of RAM instead of 2 like the 7A and is also has Android 9.0.
8th October 2019, 09:39 PM |#11791  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:

What about the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It has Android 9.0 when buying already.

Have you considered all your alternatives ? I mean the phone is somewhat good. It kind of has some lower specs for 2019. I sometime struggle with my s6, with the same specifications. Struggle meaning i cant run one social app, one news app and youtube at the same time without freezing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)