FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,176 Vote(s)
59.18%
Yes, kind of.

469 Vote(s)
23.60%
No, needs improvement.

342 Vote(s)
17.21%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,430 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,706

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th September 2019, 03:48 PM |#29611  
Flag N/A
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

The threads you link, all discuss (as do you in your post) the fact that the digitizer often causes this problem. Combined with the fact that this has crossed different ROM installs and existed for quite a period of time, I would tend to replace the digitizer.

You could spend some time getting a logcat through a PC. It's possible there is a conflict that will get reported in a log.

Thank you for your reply, I am planning to get my screen replaced. If I just replace the screen and not the touch display, will the digitiser be replaced? Or will I have to order a brand new screen folder?
30th September 2019, 05:50 PM |#29612  
Thanks Meter: 2,370

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodh5634

Thank you for your reply, I am planning to get my screen replaced. If I just replace the screen and not the touch display, will the digitiser be replaced? Or will I have to order a brand new screen folder?

The digitizer is technicality the "touch display". The digitizer is the part that tracks the motion of your fingers on the screen. Typically the digitizer is sandwiched above the LCD display and below a protective glass or plastic.

In my experience, trying to replace just one part of this sandwich, is very hit or miss.

You might want to get further advice in the Q/A section of your device forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
30th September 2019, 07:01 PM |#29613  
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,561

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you for your reply, I am planning to get my screen replaced.!.........

I just wanted to add to the outstanding information that @ktmom had provided.

Be aware of the differences between the 3 separate references...

Most/All android touchscreens typically has 2 parts to this (and 1 combination thereof).

1) There's the "LCD Display" that's the Actual Display of what you're seeing.

2) There's the "Touchscreen Glass" that's the combination of the Glass & Touchscreen Sensor.

The (above) #2 is a layer that fits on top of the (above) #1.

The 3rd (combination) reference is the (typically referenced) "LCD Touchscreen Digitizer Assembly". This is simply the combination of the (above) #1 & #2.

Be sure that, if you do decide to replace the display, to get the Digitizer Assembly.

I've tried to replace #2 (only) on one of my devices and it was a nightmare to separate the 2 and then clean & apply the adhesive for the replacement.

I hope that I had explained this okay via text...

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unless asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX2 Forum App on my Sanyo Juno device.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
30th September 2019, 11:25 PM |#29614  
Thanks Meter: 692

More
Quote:

Hello Guys! I am having this very odd issue on my Zuk Z2 plus. I currently am running AospExtended ROM V6.7 (Android 9, Pie) with magisk installed. But this problem persisted on previous versions on AEX and even on Resurrection Remix v6.0 Oreo.

What happens is when i unlock my phone, after a mere 2 seconds, the touch absolutely freezes. I mean the screen is on, hardware buttons (U touch, Power & Volume Rocker) work, and i can even receive notifications, which means the phone is working, but the screen doesn't respond to my touches. If I turn off the device (Not Power Off, Just a tap of the power button) and unlock again, the touch resumes, but only for 2 seconds. This can be done infinitely. Also, if I keep a finger on the screen always then the screen works perfectly, and if I remove the finger, then the touch stops working. While typing this, i got a noticed something else as well - When the touch stops working, then if I press the volume button up or down, the typing cursor moves forward or backward. Maybe the phone enters a 'dock mode' of sorts where only the power, volume and Home button works. Reboots, shutdowns, forced power off, recovery, cache clear etc all seem to go in vain. Also, if I unlock the phone and then open google in a flash and start typing anything, it sometimes works and the touch resumes. This issue also persists in Safe Mode. I read somewhere that this maybe due to a screen digitizer getting loose on the inside.

My issue is also very similar to the one seen here :
Video (Not By Me) : In the video, this issue also seems to exist on the stock Zui rom.

A similar forum : https://forum.xda-developers.com/len...issue-t3708645

My earlier forum:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/len...reeze-t3921844

I can always provide additional information if anyone wants. Please help me fix this, Gods Of XDA.

I´m not stating that ktmom & ibuprophen are not right and most probably they do but part of what you´re explaining could implicate at least two things keeping by now to a side that digitizer could be the culprit:
- Some devices specially the chinese in the same variant come with poor or if not exactly poor but uncompatible drivers/display for all the custom roms out there.
- After to a reasonable period of flashing custom roms some essential parts of the firmware get missed, I mean just to give one example; vendor, persist, etc from RR persist to a new rom that you flash over it and so on with every custom rom.

Just to be absolutely sure; if you observe the same issue after to returning completely to stock by flashing it through the official tool (or most reliable) then for sure the issue is related to hardware.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubwayChamp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SubwayChamp Ad-Free
1st October 2019, 11:55 AM |#29615  
Flag N/A
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

The digitizer is technicality the "touch display". The digitizer is the part that tracks the motion of your fingers on the screen. Typically the digitizer is sandwiched above the LCD display and below a protective glass or plastic.

In my experience, trying to replace just one part of this sandwich, is very hit or miss.

You might want to get further advice in the Q/A section of your device forum.

Thank you very much, i surely will get the entire assembly!

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

I just wanted to add to the outstanding information that @ktmom had provided.

Be aware of the differences between the 3 separate references...

Most/All android touchscreens typically has 2 parts to this (and 1 combination thereof).

1) There's the "LCD Display" that's the Actual Display of what you're seeing.

2) There's the "Touchscreen Glass" that's the combination of the Glass & Touchscreen Sensor.

The (above) #2 is a layer that fits on top of the (above) #1.

The 3rd (combination) reference is the (typically referenced) "LCD Touchscreen Digitizer Assembly". This is simply the combination of the (above) #1 & #2.

Be sure that, if you do decide to replace the display, to get the Digitizer Assembly.

I've tried to replace #2 (only) on one of my devices and it was a nightmare to separate the 2 and then clean & apply the adhesive for the replacement.

I hope that I had explained this okay via text...

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unless asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX2 Forum App on my Sanyo Juno device.

Thanks a ton for your valuable information! I surely will get the entire assembly!

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayChamp

I´m not stating that ktmom & ibuprophen are not right and most probably they do but part of what you´re explaining could implicate at least two things keeping by now to a side that digitizer could be the culprit:
- Some devices specially the chinese in the same variant come with poor or if not exactly poor but uncompatible drivers/display for all the custom roms out there.
- After to a reasonable period of flashing custom roms some essential parts of the firmware get missed, I mean just to give one example; vendor, persist, etc from RR persist to a new rom that you flash over it and so on with every custom rom.

Just to be absolutely sure; if you observe the same issue after to returning completely to stock by flashing it through the official tool (or most reliable) then for sure the issue is related to hardware.

Thank you for replying, but my device isn't the Chinese version (it's indian version), and even if it has a fault, i am going to replace the entire screen assembly.
Also, that issue persists in the stock rom in the video attached, so I believe it isn't due to a custom rom, but nonetheless i am planning to replace so it doesn't matter.
Thanks again for your help!👍
The Following User Says Thank You to Jodh5634 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jodh5634 Ad-Free
1st October 2019, 12:37 PM |#29616  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Rolling back firmware.
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've been a happy user of Android devices for some time now, but this latest update to Pie is terrible. I would like to set my phone back to the previous version that had awesome battery life and didn't look like an iPhone.

I have a Samsung S8 Active, with T-Mobile (SM-G892U)
Build number G892USQS5CSI2

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading over the past couple weeks, but the information I find where people are trying to do what I hope to do always has slight variations, such as a slightly different variant of phone, or they hope to reach a slightly different end-state, so I still have some questions.

From what I gather, the bootloader for this phone is hopelessly locked, which means all I can do is flash OEM firmware that has the appropriate signatures. No custom ROMs without proper OEM signatures - correct?

If I download the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware from SamMobile, and use ODIN 3.13.3, can I flash my phone with this firmware so I can be done with this terrible Pie business? Can this be done with a locked bootloader? Do I need to use all the files from the .zip file that I downloaded from SamMobile?

I've found several 'how-to' videos on doing this process, but I don't want to brick my phone. I'm somewhat tech-savvy, assuming I understand all the terms and 'language'. However, I haven't rooted or flashed a phone since I had an HTC Desire 4G back in 2012 or something.

On a side note, is there a version of Oreo (perhaps one directly from Samsung) that I can use that doesn't have the T-Mobile bloatware? Basically, what is the cleanest, most bloat-free version of Android 8.0 that I can put on to my phone with a locked bootloader?

I'm not looking to use custom ROMs - I just want the functionality and speed my phone used to have.

I hope that I've provided enough information here, but let me know if you need more to determine if this roll-back will work. Thank you!
1st October 2019, 06:22 PM |#29617  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatHater

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've been a happy user of Android devices for some time now, but this latest update to Pie is terrible. I would like to set my phone back to the previous version that had awesome battery life and didn't look like an iPhone.

I have a Samsung S8 Active, with T-Mobile (SM-G892U)

Build number G892USQS5CSI2

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading over the past couple weeks, but the information I find where people are trying to do what I hope to do always has slight variations, such as a slightly different variant of phone, or they hope to reach a slightly different end-state, so I still have some questions.

From what I gather, the bootloader for this phone is hopelessly locked, which means all I can do is flash OEM firmware that has the appropriate signatures. No custom ROMs without proper OEM signatures - correct?

If I download the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware from SamMobile, and use ODIN 3.13.3, can I flash my phone with this firmware so I can be done with this terrible Pie business? Can this be done with a locked bootloader? Do I need to use all the files from the .zip file that I downloaded from SamMobile?

I've found several 'how-to' videos on doing this process, but I don't want to brick my phone. I'm somewhat tech-savvy, assuming I understand all the terms and 'language'. However, I haven't rooted or flashed a phone since I had an HTC Desire 4G back in 2012 or something.

On a side note, is there a version of Oreo (perhaps one directly from Samsung) that I can use that doesn't have the T-Mobile bloatware? Basically, what is the cleanest, most bloat-free version of Android 8.0 that I can put on to my phone with a locked bootloader?

I'm not looking to use custom ROMs - I just want the functionality and speed my phone used to have.

I hope that I've provided enough information here, but let me know if you need more to determine if this roll-back will work. Thank you!

Some Samsung devices can't be downgraded to a previous version once it has been updated, some can. I don't know if your device is one that can be downgraded or not, you can try flashing the firmware via Odin, it will either fail and you'll still have what you have now or it will be successful and you'll be back to what you want.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
1st October 2019, 06:57 PM |#29618  
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,561

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been a happy user of Android devices for some time now, but this latest update to Pie is terrible..........

Just as @Droidriven had correctly stated, you cannot Downgrade your specific devices Firmware.

Since I don't have this specific device, I made a quick search and found a thread post that also point you to this as well for your device and can quickly clarify the reason for this.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...php?p=79119686

Sorry for the bad news...

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1st October 2019, 08:47 PM |#29619  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

Just as @Droidriven had correctly stated, you cannot Downgrade your specific devices Firmware.

Since I don't have this specific device, I made a quick search and found a thread post that also point you to this as well for your device and can quickly clarify the reason for this.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...php?p=79119686

After reading the posts in this link, specifically about the person with the SM-G892U, the problem there was with the bootloader and build version incompatibility. From what I understand, I have build version 5 and bootloader version 5. The stock firmware I hope to flash is version 5.

In his case, he was trying to flash either a build version or bootloader version 3 while he was currently using version 4, thus the incompatibility.

If I have a problem, it shouldn't be because of the reason listed in that link, correct?
1st October 2019, 08:59 PM |#29620  
Quote:

After reading the posts in this link, specifically about the person with the SM-G892U, the problem there was with the bootloader and build version incompatibility. From what I understand, I have build version 5 and bootloader version 5. The stock firmware I hope to flash is version 5.

In his case, he was trying to flash either a build version or bootloader version 3 while he was currently using version 4, thus the incompatibility.

If I have a problem, it shouldn't be because of the reason listed in that link, correct?

If it comes down to it, you can download a copy of your current updated firmware and a copy of the firmware that you want to go back to, then extract both of the firmware in separate folders, delete the system.img from the current updated firmware then pull the system.img from the old firmware and place the old system.img in the updated firmware, zip the firmware back up and flash it. This method may or may not work, depending on your bootloader.

There "may" be other parts of the firmware that need to be switched also due to the potential differences between how each android version handles the devices hardware/software features and functions. You would have to do some in depth research to see if there are any special conditions involved in swapping the img files between your firmware versions.
Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
1st October 2019, 09:59 PM |#29621  
Thanks Meter: 1,769

More
happy (late) 6yr. anniversary @Droidriven. helped so many users , including myself.

err on the side of kindness
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)