FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,175 Vote(s)
59.16%
Yes, kind of.

469 Vote(s)
23.62%
No, needs improvement.

342 Vote(s)
17.22%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,429 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,704

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st October 2019, 09:59 PM |#29621  
Thanks Meter: 1,769

More
happy (late) 6yr. anniversary @Droidriven. helped so many users , including myself.

err on the side of kindness
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
2nd October 2019, 12:12 AM |#29622  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
New Phone Recommendation?
Hi All,
Looking at ditching my LG Stylo 4 (which I love) because I found out we haven't been able to root it and I am missing the ability to mirror my screen and a few other things. Anyway, with a budget of $200 tops, I would like: to not give my money to LG, to be able to easily root and change stuff on the phone, full access/use of an SD card as internal or external storage, and ability to update to the newest android software. Does such a unicorn exist?
2nd October 2019, 01:05 AM |#29623  
Thanks Meter: 2,365

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrumheller

Hi All,
Looking at ditching my LG Stylo 4 (which I love) because I found out we haven't been able to root it and I am missing the ability to mirror my screen and a few other things. Anyway, with a budget of $200 tops, I would like: to not give my money to LG, to be able to easily root and change stuff on the phone, full access/use of an SD card as internal or external storage, and ability to update to the newest android software. Does such a unicorn exist?

The Moto G7 might be a choice. Personally, I would go with a Pixel 2/2XL which had one more year of updates and use OTG for expanded storage. The pixels do not have a sdcard slots. A cheaper solution might be an essential PH-1, again, no sdcard but is updated to android 10.

Now, you say you want to mirror. If you mean Miracast, it's been removed from Android for several years. If that's what your looking for, that's a different problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
2nd October 2019, 01:16 AM |#29624  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

The Moto G7 might be a choice. Personally, I would go with a Pixel 2/2XL which had one more year of updates and use OTG for expanded storage. The pixels do not have a sdcard slots. A cheaper solution might be an essential PH-1, again, no sdcard but is updated to android 10.

Now, you say you want to mirror. If you mean Miracast, it's been removed from Android for several years. If that's what your looking for, that's a different problem.

Thanks for replying. I really want to get my money worth when I replace this thing. Forgive my newbness but what is OTG? I may be willing to give up the SD card thing if I could get the massive amounts of storage without a monthly subscription fee and use it for apps etc. in addition to music, photos, etc. As far as mirroring, I mean the ability to wirelessly show whatever is on my phone screen on another device. I can do without it. I was unaware it was removed from Android honestly. I thought the carriers and manufacturers were blocking that like they tend to do with other features. Again, I could do without that. Basically, I want the best phone I can get AND root and customize to the max for sub $200.
2nd October 2019, 01:32 AM |#29625  

More
Quote:

Thanks for replying. I really want to get my money worth when I replace this thing. Forgive my newbness but what is OTG? I may be willing to give up the SD card thing if I could get the massive amounts of storage without a monthly subscription fee and use it for apps etc. in addition to music, photos, etc. As far as mirroring, I mean the ability to wirelessly show whatever is on my phone screen on another device. I can do without it. I was unaware it was removed from Android honestly. I thought the carriers and manufacturers were blocking that like they tend to do with other features. Again, I could do without that. Basically, I want the best phone I can get AND root and customize to the max for sub $200.

OTG is "On The Go". It's a protocol that allows you to plug a USB thumb drive into the phone's usb port via an OTG cable and expand storage. Google accounts come with, I think, 15GB of storage for photos, app backups, document or media storage. I pay <$2/mo for 100GB.

The pixel 2/2XL are well supported. It's only 2 years old. Very easy to root using Magisk, and difficult to brick. You could find one in the near, to sub $200 range on swappa.com.

If you have Chromecast, that is well supported.

I'm sure there are other devices. My opinion is, if you've been out of the game for a bit, the Pixel line will make re-entry a little easier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
2nd October 2019, 01:51 AM |#29626  

More
Quote:

OTG is "On The Go". It's a protocol that allows you to plug a USB thumb drive into the phone's usb port via an OTG cable and expand storage. Google accounts come with, I think, 15GB of storage for photos, app backups, document or media storage. I pay <$2/mo for 100GB.

The pixel 2/2XL are well supported. It's only 2 years old. Very easy to root using Magisk, and difficult to brick. You could find one in the near, to sub $200 range on swappa.com.

I'm sure there are other devices. My opinion is, if you've been out of the game for a bit, the Pixel line will make re-entry a little easier.

No Chromecast. I'm a Fire stick side-load addict. Lol. I'll take a look at the Pixels and the Moto G7 you mentioned earlier and see what's up. I am pretty familiar with rooting and such, I just don't develop anything myself. I went away from Android for a while to iPhone and came back because I wanted to be able to root and customize. Thought I'd be able to do that with the Stylo 4 but I guess I didn't research that enough. Thanks!
2nd October 2019, 04:15 AM |#29627  

More
Quote:

So, the Pixels and G7 appear to be out of my price range for what I could find at the moment. Considering the LG V20 or V30. Thoughts?
2nd October 2019, 11:04 AM |#29628  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi, I'm a newbie
How can I root my Lg g6 H871 (at&t)? Any easy tutorial?
2nd October 2019, 02:13 PM |#29629  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

If it comes down to it, you can download a copy of your current updated firmware and a copy of the firmware that you want to go back to, then extract both of the firmware in separate folders, delete the system.img from the current updated firmware then pull the system.img from the old firmware and place the old system.img in the updated firmware, zip the firmware back up and flash it. This method may or may not work, depending on your bootloader.

There "may" be other parts of the firmware that need to be switched also due to the potential differences between how each android version handles the devices hardware/software features and functions. You would have to do some in depth research to see if there are any special conditions involved in swapping the img files between your firmware versions.
Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

I'll look further into it. I am not yet able to try all this out, but soon I'll give it a shot, hopefully no boot issues! Thank you all for the help! (Don't worry, I also used the "thanks" button)
2nd October 2019, 03:15 PM |#29630  

More
Quote:

So, the Pixels and G7 appear to be out of my price range for what I could find at the moment. Considering the LG V20 or V30. Thoughts?

I don't have an opinion on the LG brand. Haven't ever used them. The V30 has had root for awhile so that meets your needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akib.javed

Hi, I'm a newbie
How can I root my Lg g6 H871 (at&t)? Any easy tutorial?

There had been a lengthy push for root on the H87x devices. While somewhat close, development has stalled. Reading through the device forum, even if it was finalized, it appears rooting would be rather complex.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
4th October 2019, 09:51 PM |#29631  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, if i buy a phone from India through flipkark online store and shipped it to dubai directly(whithour using or unboxing the phone. Will i be able to use it here in dubai? i have doubt the network operator will lock to use sim. (Im planing to buy asus rog phone 2 512 gb model)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)