FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.

1,608 Vote(s)
64.01%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.

416 Vote(s)
16.56%
I don't know.

488 Vote(s)
19.43%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,428 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,928

Post Reply Email Thread
2nd October 2019, 01:42 PM |#43981  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Obi Sf1
i m having a Obi Sf1 running on android 5.0.1 3gb + 32 gb

i managed to install twrp on it

but i m unable to get a rom for it i search the whole xda found a post in which all links are broken

i got some rom which ended with the updater error code 7 and some said this rom is for so and so device your device is rio

i m so bored with the stock rom i need any other custom rom for it

if anyone is having any kind of information please do share
2nd October 2019, 03:42 PM |#43982  

More
Android 8.1 Single App Device: How to get data usage to absolute minimum
Hello All,

Summary
Got an Alcatel device running Android 8.1 on mobile data for the sole purpose of running a single app on the device. Goal is to get the device to only use the data the app needs to run and the app currently only theoretically uses 1.5MB of data a month.

I've read through various posts but haven't come across one to push it to this level and Android 8 has quite a few differences to other described posts.

What I have tried thus far
- Set device to not upgrade the OS automatically
- Set play store to not update apps automatically
- Turned data saver on and set it to only have the app and download manager allowed to use data if active (Download manager in case the app needs to be updated remotely by myself)
- Turning off background data is not that obvious in Android 8, the only method I have really found thus far is when an app downloads a bit of data, select it in data usage and toggle restrict background data.

I've made significant improvements but still a bit to go. I'm in the process of using Wireshark and hotspotting to track what is being requested but if anyone knows of anything I am missing then any help would be greatly appreciated. E.g. how to toggle off restrict all background usage in Android 8.
2nd October 2019, 06:18 PM |#43983  

More
I have a new Note 10 phone and I am finding that I can't just simply connect my phone to computer to transfer files. Apparently I have to download a windows app and create an account to do so. Call me prideful, but my prior Notes didn't require extra accounting for a simple transfer of files. Is there any way around this? Can I root or jailbreak my device to give it full access?
(I enabled USB Debugging to see if I could get around it with that, but it didn't help.)
2nd October 2019, 11:53 PM |#43984  
Thanks Meter: 1,769

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlocksox

Hello All,

Summary
Got an Alcatel device running Android 8.1 on mobile data for the sole purpose of running a single app on the device. Goal is to get the device to only use the data the app needs to run and the app currently only theoretically uses 1.5MB of data a month.

I've read through various posts but haven't come across one to push it to this level and Android 8 has quite a few differences to other described posts.

- Turned data saver on and set it to only have the app and download manager allowed to use data if active (Download manager in case the app needs to be updated remotely by myself)
- Turning off background data is not that obvious in Android 8, the only method I have really found thus far is when an app downloads a bit of data, select it in data usage and toggle restrict background data.

I've made significant improvements but still a bit to go. I'm in the process of using Wireshark and hotspotting to track what is being requested but if anyone knows of anything I am missing then any help would be greatly appreciated. E.g. how to toggle off restrict all background usage in Android 8.

may have already tried or maybe a bad idea but why not freeze/delete every app except the one you want to run?

err on the side of kindness
2nd October 2019, 11:57 PM |#43985  
Thanks Meter: 2,365

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlocksox

Hello All,

Summary

In thinking a iptables firewall would be pretty comprehensive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
3rd October 2019, 12:05 AM |#43986  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deojin

I have a new Note 10 phone and I am finding that I can't just simply connect my phone to computer to transfer files. Apparently I have to download a windows app and create an account to do so. Call me prideful, but my prior Notes didn't require extra accounting for a simple transfer of files. Is there any way around this? Can I root or jailbreak my device to give it full access?
(I enabled USB Debugging to see if I could get around it with that, but it didn't help.)

You might get a notification in status bar on device when you connect the device to PC, if you do, pull it down and set your USB protocol to "MTP".

Or, look for your USB settings on the device and set it to MTP.

Verify that you have the correct and complete USB drivers for your device installed on your PC.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
3rd October 2019, 11:02 AM |#43987  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

In thinking a iptables firewall would be pretty comprehensive.

Thank you, I think you are right iptables is probably the way to properly lock everything down.
A potential stumbling block is it uses a google cloud backend which seems to change it's IP address fairly regularly. However it may be possible to implement something based on the hostname. Will investigate to see if we can implement anything with our telephony provider.
3rd October 2019, 10:41 PM |#43988  
Flag santiago

More
Sony Prototype SE123
Sorry for my English.
A Sony Ericsson prototype came to my hands, the SE123, I had never seen this device and I searched Google but I found nothing, just something from the year 2006 of a prototype called the same name but clamshell type. The device only vibrates when you press the power button, carefully opened it and take pictures, the board is Panasonic, it is the slider type with a keyboard under the screen. Under the battery it is written that it is only a prototype and not for sale and uses a Sony Ericsson BA850 battery.
If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate your comments.
The screen is 5.7 ", the length is 7", the width 2.9 ", and 0.66" deep.

I put the links to the images hosted on Google Drive, but I don't think it shows them

Regards
4th October 2019, 12:31 AM |#43989  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaansur

Sorry for my English.
A Sony Ericsson prototype came to my hands, the SE123, I had never seen this device and I searched Google but I found nothing, just something from the year 2006 of a prototype called the same name but clamshell type. The device only vibrates when you press the power button, carefully opened it and take pictures, the board is Panasonic, it is the slider type with a keyboard under the screen. Under the battery it is written that it is only a prototype and not for sale and uses a Sony Ericsson BA850 battery.
If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate your comments.
The screen is 5.7 ", the length is 7", the width 2.9 ", and 0.66" deep.

...snip...

@Strephon Alkhalikoi, you always seem to have seen these odd devices
5th October 2019, 05:29 PM |#43990  

More
S6 edge hands free activation.
Recently updated my s6 edge sprint to android 7 via odin..
Now my network is on emergency calls only....hands free activation keeps failing.
It worked fine when i was using the stock marshmallow.
Wierdly i'm able to recieve calls n text but no data connection......my mobile network operators option is grayed out....
Ps. my device is not rooted....and i have no backup of my previous firmware.
already tried other stock roms both 6 n 7.
any suggestion?
5th October 2019, 06:01 PM |#43991  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloisis

Recently updated my s6 edge sprint to android 7 via odin..
Now my network is on emergency calls only....hands free activation keeps failing.
It worked fine when i was using the stock marshmallow.
Wierdly i'm able to recieve calls n text but no data connection......my mobile network operators option is grayed out....
Ps. my device is not rooted....and i have no backup of my previous firmware.
already tried other stock roms both 6 n 7.
any suggestion?

If it's a GSM, I would think most likely the SIM card is causing the problem. Try cleaning it. If it's a CDMA, I think you need to talk to the service provider.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)