Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
6th October 2019, 08:30 PM |#13921  
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 692

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Since Adaway is working on Android 10 for others, my best guess is the following:

Twrp actually isn't working on my phone right now, installing magisk broke it and I haven't had a chance to fix it. Maybe it's related. I'll give this a shot, really appreciate the help!

Edit: tried it, all that did was cause me to loose root. Still getting the same error message that root access was denied yet nothing in the magisk logs. I bet the people who have it working on 10 also used it on 9. I'm thinking there may be an issue with the app requesting root for the first time on Android 10, but if root was previously granted, no problem
6th October 2019, 09:37 PM |#13922  
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 692

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx

Twrp actually isn't working on my phone right now, installing magisk broke it and I haven't had a chance to fix it. Maybe it's related. I'll give this a shot, really appreciate the help!

Edit: tried it, all that did was cause me to loose root. Still getting the same error message that root access was denied yet nothing in the magisk logs. I bet the people who have it working on 10 also used it on 9. I'm thinking there may be an issue with the app requesting root for the first time on Android 10, but if root was previously granted, no problem

Figured it out! If anyone has the same problem, here's the answer: there's a "Hide Magisk" option in settings. If you click on it, it renames Magisk Manager app to just "Manager". It also seems to prevent apps not installed through Magisk itself from requesting root since the root checker app I downloaded also didn't work. The fix: uninstall Magisk Manager and reflash the zip through TWRP. Then you should be all set, just don't hit that "hide Magisk" button in settings or you'll need to repeat the steps above.
6th October 2019, 10:24 PM |#13923  
Thanks Meter: 2,434

More
Quote:

Figured it out! If anyone has the same problem, here's the answer: there's a "Hide Magisk" option in settings. If you click on it, it renames Magisk Manager app to just "Manager". It also seems to prevent apps not installed through Magisk itself from requesting root since the root checker app I downloaded also didn't work. The fix: uninstall Magisk Manager and reflash the zip through TWRP. Then you should be all set, just don't hit that "hide Magisk" button in settings or you'll need to repeat the steps above.

From didgeridoohan's Magisk and MagiskHide Installation and Troubleshooting guide*:*MagiskHide

Quote:

Unhiding the Magisk Manager

Go to the Manager settings and choose "Restore Magisk Manager".

You can also unhide the Manager by uninstalling the repackaged Manager and manually install the apk. Get it from the (release thread*or*GitHub)

The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
7th October 2019, 03:31 AM |#13924  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Quote:

You got Adaway to request root after this? I never had hide magisk checked. I'm still not having any luck getting Adaway to request root.
7th October 2019, 02:53 PM |#13925  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,572

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akomack

You got Adaway to request root after this? I never had hide magisk checked. I'm still not having any luck getting Adaway to request root.

I have one of my Android 6.0.1 devices I have Adaway 4.26 installed. My other, same model devices have v3.3 installed with no problems.
Just out of curiosity about your problem, I went into Magisk Manager superuser page and clicked on the trash can icon to remove it from superuser permissions. Then when I launch v4.2.6, just like you, it does not ask for superuser permissions, even if I click on check for updates. However, if I click on disable ad blocking, I almost immediately get a new superuser request popup, which I approve, then I re-enable ad blocking and it works normally again. I'm not sure if this will help on your Android 10 device, but it is worth a try. To me this appears to be a bug, as I don't see this kind of behaviour on v3.3 on my other Nextbook Ares 8A's, x86, Android 6.0.1 tablets when su is revoked. When revoked in v3.3, I get an immediate su request when the app is relaunched. Please let us know if this works for you, or not.
The only major thing that is different on that v4.26 device is that I run SElinux switch app at boot to make the kernel permissive so that a modifed version of adbd insecure will run properly, to allow adb root access.
UPDATE: I thought I had updated this to the latest v4.2.9, but it was one of my other devices I did it on. I will download and do the same test on v4.2.9.

V4.2.9 has the same behavior on that device where it does not ask for su permission unless I click on the disable ad blocking button.
@PerfectSlayer what kind of logs would be useful to troubleshoot this for you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
8th October 2019, 08:57 AM |#13926  
Flag Salisbury
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Can i use adguard with adaway together or there is no need and i should stick to one or another ?
8th October 2019, 11:19 AM |#13927  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123

Can i use adguard with adaway together or there is no need and i should stick to one or another ?

Regarding your first question:

Yes technically you can use both. AdAway uses the host file whereas Adguard uses the local VPN feature.
Both ways are independent from another.

Regarding your second questions:

Personally i would use only one of them because the end function of both apps is same. Probably the blocking result are more or less the same if you use many filter lists in general.
But i don't know exactly the filter lists from Adguard so take my answer to your second questions with precaution.
8th October 2019, 11:29 AM |#13928  
Flag Salisbury
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacke

Regarding your first question:

Yes technically you can use both. AdAway uses the host file whereas Adguard uses the local VPN feature.
Both ways are independent from another.

Regarding your second questions:

Personally i would use only one of them because the end function of both apps is same. Probably the blocking result are more or less the same if you use many filter lists in general.
But i don't know exactly the filter lists from Adguard so take my answer to your second questions with precaution.

Thing is I don't use Adguard with VPN option on, I use http filtering mode though.

Adaway I use with Steven Black hosts
8th October 2019, 03:49 PM |#13929  
Senior Moderator / Can I get a Salty Semper Gumby Yut!?!
Flag Land of the Endless Ride. USMC on my arm, .45 on my hip, O-H on my license plate!
Thanks Meter: 13,962

More
I searched for this in the thread and didn't get any hits related to Android 10.

I just flashed the October 10 factory image (clean install), latest EX kernel and latest Magisk.

Installing the AdAway apk goes normal.

When "Enabling Ad-Blocking" I get this error message.

Remount Failed
Remounting he partition as read/write failed!

Anyone have anything on this?

SOLUTION:
Click "systemless hosts" in Magisk > reboot > enable Ad-blocking
8th October 2019, 05:00 PM |#13930  
Thanks Meter: 654

More
Yeah cause A10 no no longer allows mounting system as r/w. Due to filesystem afaik (system as ext4_ro I think). It's recommended to use systemless since when now, Android 8?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ch3vr0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ch3vr0n Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 03:49 PM |#13931  
Thanks Meter: 2,434

More
Looking for help for @PerfectSlayer.

Here's the deal. I sent an A10 compatible phone to him so development of Adaway could continue. I paid the overseas shipping and the phone arrived. But, customs and the tax people demanded an additional 60 euro. I'm tapped out, but I hate the fact that this donation ended up costing PerfectSlayer.

If 60 people donated 1 euro, or 6 people could donate 10 euro, then the additional cost would be covered.

Donation link: https://www.paypal.me/BruceBUJON
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)