[APP][Root][OFFICIAL] AdAway v4.3.0 :: [2019-11-01]

595 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,829

Post Reply Email Thread
10th October 2019, 03:49 PM |#13931  
Thanks Meter: 2,372

More
Looking for help for @PerfectSlayer.

Here's the deal. I sent an A10 compatible phone to him so development of Adaway could continue. I paid the overseas shipping and the phone arrived. But, customs and the tax people demanded an additional 60 euro. I'm tapped out, but I hate the fact that this donation ended up costing PerfectSlayer.

If 60 people donated 1 euro, or 6 people could donate 10 euro, then the additional cost would be covered.

Donation link: https://www.paypal.me/BruceBUJON
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 04:25 PM |#13932  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Here's the deal. I sent an A10 compatible phone to him so development of Adaway could continue. I paid the overseas shipping and the phone arrived. But, customs and the tax people demanded an additional 60 euro. I'm tapped out, but I hate the fact that this donation ended up costing PerfectSlayer.

If 60 people donated 1 euro, or 6 people could donate 10 euro, then the additional cost would be covered.

Donation link: https://www.paypal.com/BruceBUJON

I will donate for sure, just confirm please, that this is actually the right link: https://www.paypal.me/BruceBUJON
Edit: Yes this is right the link, it's the same like on @PerfectSlayer profile.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Badener95 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Badener95 Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 04:44 PM |#13933  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Just a quick question: since a few days is see Google ads on all browsers. Also in Samsung browser with ad blocker addon.

Is it me or did I miss something?
10th October 2019, 05:26 PM |#13934  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,262

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraWater

Just a quick question: since a few days is see Google ads on all browsers. Also in Samsung browser with ad blocker addon.

Is it me or did I miss something?

It is you. Have a look at your APN settings. Probably a proxy defined there...
10th October 2019, 05:37 PM |#13935  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,829

Donate to Me
More
Hi all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akomack

I can't seem to get Adaway to request root on android 10. Every other app will request root, but for some reason I can't get Adawy 4.2.9 to request it. 3.3 will request but won't apply hosts file. I have systemless module enabled, core only mode is disabled.

I'm at a loss, this is driving me nuts as I really can't function without adaway working. I keep trying, only to end up going back to pie due to it not working. Any help would be appreciated.

Pixel 1 XL
LOS 10 unofficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx

I'm having the exact same issue on official Android 10 rom on OnePlus 7 Pro. Any help is greatly appreciated!

It looks like there is some sort of issue, or at least, not as stable as expected in Android 10...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

I have one of my Android 6.0.1 devices I have Adaway 4.26 installed. My other, same model devices have v3.3 installed with no problems.
Just out of curiosity about your problem, I went into Magisk Manager superuser page and clicked on the trash can icon to remove it from superuser permissions. Then when I launch v4.2.6, just like you, it does not ask for superuser permissions, even if I click on check for updates. However, if I click on disable ad blocking, I almost immediately get a new superuser request popup, which I approve, then I re-enable ad blocking and it works normally again. I'm not sure if this will help on your Android 10 device, but it is worth a try. To me this appears to be a bug, as I don't see this kind of behaviour on v3.3 on my other Nextbook Ares 8A's, x86, Android 6.0.1 tablets when su is revoked. When revoked in v3.3, I get an immediate su request when the app is relaunched. Please let us know if this works for you, or not.
The only major thing that is different on that v4.26 device is that I run SElinux switch app at boot to make the kernel permissive so that a modifed version of adbd insecure will run properly, to allow adb root access.
UPDATE: I thought I had updated this to the latest v4.2.9, but it was one of my other devices I did it on. I will download and do the same test on v4.2.9.

V4.2.9 has the same behavior on that device where it does not ask for su permission unless I click on the disable ad blocking button.
@PerfectSlayer what kind of logs would be useful to troubleshoot this for you?

Actually, it should be enough for me to test and try to reproduce.
If I don't get the same behavior, I will ask for more logs

Quote:

Donation link: https://www.paypal.me/BruceBUJON

Oh it's so nice of you! You already offer me a development device so I can't complain for taxes (it still way cheaper than buying any correct Android 10 device!).
Moreover, it shipped so long ago it finally lands few days before my birthday. Like a present! ^^'
As explained previously, I didn't own an Android 10 device to test. So it will definitely help
About donations, remember nothing is mandatory and donate only if you can afford it.
Even if donations are appreciated and help me to keep motivated about this project, I never had the goal to become rich by developing an open source application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badener95

I will donate for sure, just confirm please, that this is actually the right link: https://www.paypal.me/BruceBUJON
Edit: Yes this is right the link, it's the same like on @PerfectSlayer profile.

Yes, it is. And if you have any doubt, you can check from the source code or at the bottom of official site.

News:

There were not a lot of news about the app development lastly but it doesn't mean nothing happened!

First, there was some changes about the website.
In the past months, we get a new website. It now provides a way to convert AdAway backup file (from plain text file to new json format and vice-versa).
Some of you also notice the site went down for a short period. That is because I migrated the adaway.org domain to my registrar. Now I own it, I can handle subdomains (like create a update.adaway.org for the coming built-in updater).

But the adaway domain is mainly use to serve AdAway hosts file… and good news, it will finally be updated!
@jawz101 and @smed79 worked for on a big update of this file and helped them with some tooling. So you could expect to see a better ad blocking in the coming weeks.

About the app itself, we mainly worked on the translations.
I find an issue about Transifex and GitHub integration and the Transifex support team had to fix some bugs. It should now work better with Android projects.
@Vankog also improved translations in order to prevent the incomplete ones to wait for too long before being sync on GitHub project.

I will have a look at Android 10 in the coming weeks (I would prefer say "days" but I am quite busy those last weeks) and plan to make a release with translation updates.
Thanks again all!
The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 05:40 PM |#13936  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4711

It is you. Have a look at your APN settings. Probably a proxy defined there...

Thanks. I checked it. Nothing as like a proxy configured. The weird thing also my other phone shows google ads. The phone which I actually only use as music player.
10th October 2019, 06:21 PM |#13937  

More
Quote:

Thanks. I checked it. Nothing as like a proxy configured. The weird thing also my other phone shows google ads. The phone which I actually only use as music player.

Double check that the hosts file really is applied. Look in /etc/hosts that the file is larger than just a few bytes. If it doesn't seem to be applied, double check that the systemless hosts module is active in Magisk Manger.
10th October 2019, 06:49 PM |#13938  

More
Quote:

Double check that the hosts file really is applied. Look in /etc/hosts that the file is larger than just a few bytes. If it doesn't seem to be applied, double check that the systemless hosts module is active in Magisk Manger.

hosts are updated, applied and phone restarted
hosts file is 4mb big.
Systemless hosts module in magisk Manager is active

Because you mentioned proxys, I configured a VPN connection to the UK. And, no more Google ads.

But I'm not sure what that means. Might it be that the issue is related to my location? Central Europe.

It seems only browsers are affected. In apps there aren't any ads. Actually it's only Google search. Intrusive ads are not allowed within the addons on Samsung. Internet browser.

Edit: VPN to Canada shows ads. Only UK not.
10th October 2019, 07:40 PM |#13939  

More
Quote:

hosts are updated, applied and phone restarted
hosts file is 4mb big.
Systemless hosts module in magisk Manager is active

Because you mentioned proxys, I configured a VPN connection to the UK. And, no more Google ads.

But I'm not sure what that means. Might it be that the issue is related to my location? Central Europe.

It seems only browsers are affected. In apps there aren't any ads. Actually it's only Google search. Intrusive ads are not allowed within the addons on Samsung. Internet browser.

Edit: VPN to Canada shows ads. Only UK not.

Without specifics, this is a general explanation.

Controlling how ads are served within browsers is not always in your control through DNS redirection. A website might embed the direct link that your device processes and makes a DNS request for. In this case, DNS reflect on the device will work to "block" the ad.

Or, a website might use scripting and handle the requests directly, serving the resultant ads directly to your browser without your device ever making a DNS call. Finally, any time a domain is called via an IP address, it will never go through DNS.

IMHO, the best way to deal with browsers is to use the uBlock origin plugin. I use it with Firefox, but I believe it's been discussed in this thread that there are now plugins available for other browsers.

As far as why you get differing results using a VPN, without knowing what website(s) are involved, my guess is the website behaves differently depending on where it thinks the user is located.
10th October 2019, 07:48 PM |#13940  

More
Quote:

Without specifics, this is a general explanation.

Controlling how ads are served within browsers is not always in your control through DNS redirection. A website might embed the direct link that your device processes and makes a DNS request for. In this case, DNS reflect on the device will work to "block" the ad.

Or, a website might use scripting and handle the requests directly, serving the resultant ads directly to your browser without your device ever making a DNS call. Finally, any time a domain is called via an IP address, it will never go through DNS.

IMHO, the best way to deal with browsers is to use the uBlock origin plugin. I use it with Firefox, but I believe it's been discussed in this thread that there are now plugins available for other browsers.

As far as why you get differing results using a VPN, without knowing what website(s) are involved, my guess is the website behaves differently depending on where it thinks the user is located.

It's only about Google.com
At the top of the search results I get one or two Google ads. That's the only place.
10th October 2019, 07:48 PM |#13941  
Thanks Meter: 368

More
Firefox is the best

(09-09-18)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)