Originally Posted by Akomack
I can't seem to get Adaway to request root on android 10. Every other app will request root, but for some reason I can't get Adawy 4.2.9 to request it. 3.3 will request but won't apply hosts file. I have systemless module enabled, core only mode is disabled.
I'm at a loss, this is driving me nuts as I really can't function without adaway working. I keep trying, only to end up going back to pie due to it not working. Any help would be appreciated.
Pixel 1 XL
LOS 10 unofficial.
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx
I'm having the exact same issue on official Android 10 rom on OnePlus 7 Pro. Any help is greatly appreciated!
It looks like there is some sort of issue, or at least, not as stable as expected in Android 10...
Originally Posted by martyfender
I have one of my Android 6.0.1 devices I have Adaway 4.26 installed. My other, same model devices have v3.3 installed with no problems.
Just out of curiosity about your problem, I went into Magisk Manager superuser page and clicked on the trash can icon to remove it from superuser permissions. Then when I launch v4.2.6, just like you, it does not ask for superuser permissions, even if I click on check for updates. However, if I click on disable ad blocking, I almost immediately get a new superuser request popup, which I approve, then I re-enable ad blocking and it works normally again. I'm not sure if this will help on your Android 10 device, but it is worth a try. To me this appears to be a bug, as I don't see this kind of behaviour on v3.3 on my other Nextbook Ares 8A's, x86, Android 6.0.1 tablets when su is revoked. When revoked in v3.3, I get an immediate su request when the app is relaunched. Please let us know if this works for you, or not.
The only major thing that is different on that v4.26 device is that I run SElinux switch app at boot to make the kernel permissive so that a modifed version of adbd insecure will run properly, to allow adb root access.
UPDATE: I thought I had updated this to the latest v4.2.9, but it was one of my other devices I did it on. I will download and do the same test on v4.2.9.
V4.2.9 has the same behavior on that device where it does not ask for su permission unless I click on the disable ad blocking button.
@PerfectSlayer what kind of logs would be useful to troubleshoot this for you?
Actually, it should be enough for me to test and try to reproduce.
If I don't get the same behavior, I will ask for more logs
Originally Posted by ktmom
Looking for help for @PerfectSlayer.
Here's the deal. I sent an A10 compatible phone to him so development of Adaway could continue. I paid the overseas shipping and the phone arrived. But, customs and the tax people demanded an additional 60 euro. I'm tapped out, but I hate the fact that this donation ended up costing PerfectSlayer.
If 60 people donated 1 euro, or 6 people could donate 10 euro, then the additional cost would be covered.
Donation link: https://www.paypal.me/BruceBUJON
Oh it's so nice of you! You already offer me a development device so I can't complain for taxes (it still way cheaper than buying any correct Android 10 device!).
Moreover, it shipped so long ago it finally lands few days before my birthday. Like a present! ^^'
As explained previously, I didn't own an Android 10 device to test. So it will definitely help
About donations, remember nothing is mandatory and donate only if you can afford it.
Even if donations are appreciated and help me to keep motivated about this project, I never had the goal to become rich by developing an open source application
Originally Posted by Badener95
I will donate for sure, just confirm please, that this is actually the right link: https://www.paypal.me/BruceBUJON
Edit: Yes this is right the link, it's the same like on @PerfectSlayer profile.
Yes, it is. And if you have any doubt, you can check from the source code
or at the bottom of official site
There were not a lot of news about the app development lastly but it doesn't mean nothing happened!
First, there was some changes about the website.
In the past months, we get a new website
. It now provides a way to convert AdAway backup file
(from plain text file to new json format and vice-versa).
Some of you also notice the site went down for a short period. That is because I migrated the adaway.org domain to my registrar. Now I own it, I can handle subdomains (like create a update.adaway.org for the coming built-in updater).
But the adaway domain is mainly use to serve AdAway hosts file
… and good news, it will finally be updated!
and @smed79 worked for on a big update
of this file and helped them with some tooling. So you could expect to see a better ad blocking in the coming weeks.
About the app itself, we mainly worked on the translations.
I find an issue about Transifex and GitHub integration and the Transifex support team had to fix some bugs
. It should now work better with Android projects.
also improved translations
in order to prevent the incomplete ones to wait for too long before being sync on GitHub project.
I will have a look at Android 10 in the coming weeks (I would prefer say "days" but I am quite busy those last weeks) and plan to make a release with translation updates.
Thanks again all!