FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,176 Vote(s)
59.18%
Yes, kind of.

469 Vote(s)
23.60%
No, needs improvement.

342 Vote(s)
17.21%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,430 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,706

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th October 2019, 01:34 PM |#29651  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Dual booting and wiping system cache and factory reset
will it wipe both OS if i was to be running a dual boot phone with say Ubuntu and android and i performed a "restore to factory settings" from the boot menu?? even if they were partitioned separately??
10th October 2019, 01:44 PM |#29652  
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax84

will it wipe both OS if i was to be running a dual boot phone with say Ubuntu and android and i performed a "restore to factory settings" from the boot menu?? even if they were partitioned separately??

It wouldn't wipe your android OS but it might wipe the Ubuntu OS, depending on how you installed Ubuntu and exactly what location it was installed in on your device.

Factory reset on android devices wipes everything that is in the data partition, if your Ubuntu is installed in data partition, it will be wiped.

If the Ubuntu has it's own system partition, it "shouldn't" get wiped.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
11th October 2019, 10:21 PM |#29653  
Thanks Meter: 295

More
I hope someone is still monitoring this thread.

I have a rooted stick android pie phone. Somewhere along the line I changed the contacts app show the contacts I saved to the phone memory instead of my google account. Now I would like to change back to the google account but that option no longer exists. Can someone please help?
11th October 2019, 10:26 PM |#29654  

More
The message went out before I finished.

The only option I have as default is 'device'. If I try to add my account from the contacts app, it tells me it already has that account. 'Catch 22'

What to do?

I'm rooted if that helps.
(Sorry for the duplicate screenshot ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191011-161629.png
Views:	48
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	4841441   Click image for larger version

ID:	4841443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191011-162542.png
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	4841445  
11th October 2019, 11:45 PM |#29655  
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

The message went out before I finished.

The only option I have as default is 'device'. If I try to add my account from the contacts app, it tells me it already has that account. 'Catch 22'

What to do?

I'm rooted if that helps.
(Sorry for the duplicate screenshot ).

Go to system settings>applications>contacts, open the app info page for your contacts app, then select the storage option, then choose the clear cache and clear data options to clear the cached files and saved data that is stored/associated to the contacts app.

Then exit system settings, then reboot, you "should" have the option to choose between device and account just as you did the first time.

Warning, this will wipe the contacts that you have stored, any contacts that are on the device that have not been backed up or stored in your Google account will be lost.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
12th October 2019, 01:00 AM |#29656  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Go to system settings>applications>contacts, open the app info page for your contacts app, then select the storage option, then choose the clear cache and clear data options to clear the cached files and saved data that is stored/associated to the contacts app.

Then exit system settings, then reboot, you "should" have the option to choose between device and account just as you did the first time.

Warning, this will wipe the contacts that you have stored, any contacts that are on the device that have not been backed up or stored in your Google account will be lost.

Thank you.
Will it wipe the contacts data I have currently stored in 'device'?
I have backups made by the contacts app.
I also have titanium backups of both contacts storage app and the contacts app.
I avoid syncing with Google for privacy reasons.

Edit
I did what you said. It did wipe all the contacts. I then imported from a vcf backup. All is back but in Contacts, the only option for default account is 'device'.
Both device and my google account have the same contacts.
12th October 2019, 01:19 AM |#29657  

More
Here are some screenshots
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	38
ID:	4841523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191011-185950.png
Views:	38
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	4841525  
12th October 2019, 04:16 AM |#29658  
Thanks Meter: 2,370

More
Quote:

Thank you.
Will it wipe the contacts data I have currently stored in 'device'?
I have backups made by the contacts app.
I also have titanium backups of both contacts storage app and the contacts app.
I avoid syncing with Google for privacy reasons.

Edit
I did what you said. It did wipe all the contacts. I then imported from a vcf backup. All is back but in Contacts, the only option for default account is 'device'.
Both device and my google account have the same contacts.

Do you have a Google account registered on the phone? Settings -> accounts -> there needs to be a Google account here.

As far as I know, the only option is to save to device without a Google account on the phone.
12th October 2019, 04:35 AM |#29659  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Do you have a Google account registered on the phone? Settings -> accounts -> there needs to be a Google account here.

As far as I know, the only option is to save to device without a Google account on the phone.

But I do have a registered Google account on the phone and many apps installed from Google play on this phone. Google Play and other apps have no problem there. It's just the Contacts app that does not seem to allow me to set the Google account as the default. And within the Contacts app if I try to add my account again it won't let me and tells me I already have that account! But it does not show up in Contacts. It shows up in other apps! See screenshot.

Weird! It's some kind of bug. It persists despite updates. Since I'm rooted I thought there is somewhere in root I could correct this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20191011-223419.png
Views:	30
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	4841611  
12th October 2019, 04:51 AM |#29660  
Thanks Meter: 2,370

More
Quote:

But I do have a registered Google account on the phone and many apps installed from Google play on this phone. Google Play and other apps have no problem there. It's just the Contacts app that does not seem to allow me to set the Google account as the default. And within the Contacts app if I try to add my account again it won't let me and tells me I already have that account! But it does not show up in Contacts. It shows up in other apps! See screenshot.

Weird! It's some kind of bug. It persists despite updates. Since I'm rooted I thought there is somewhere in root I could correct this.

What device and android version is this? I don't recognize that screen. Do you get that when you select accounts in the contacts app's settings?

If you try to set the "default account for new contacts" in the contacts app's settings, that's when you get the device only option?

And if you go to "restore contacts", again in the contacts app's settings, do you get the option to use the Google account?
12th October 2019, 05:14 AM |#29661  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

What device and android version is this? I don't recognize that screen. Do you get that when you select accounts in the contacts app's settings?

If you try to set the "default account for new contacts" in the contacts app's settings, that's when you get the device only option?

And if you go to "restore contacts", again in the contacts app's settings, do you get the option to use the Google account?

Thanks for trying to help.

The phone is a Moto G7 running stock android pie.

The screenshot is from a different contacts app to demonstrate that the problem is only in Google contacts. In Google contacts app I cannot demonstrate that there do exist contacts in both the Google account and the local phone account.

When I select the default account in the Google contacts app I only have a choice of the 'Device' not my google account. It is not offered as a choice. That is precisely what the problem is. The choice appears in other contacts apps which is why I'm stumped.

"If you try to set the "default account for new contacts" in the contacts app's settings, that's when you get the device only option?"

Correct. That's what I don't understand and want to fix.

"And if you go to "restore contacts", again in the contacts app's settings, do you get the option to use the Google account?"

I don't get asked at all. It just restores. I've stopped restoring because I get duplicates. I've used android for years but this is really confusing.

Here are some informative screenshots to illustrate the dilemma.

1st from Google contacts app
2 - 4 from other apps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Google contacts app.png
Views:	88
ID:	4841673   Click image for larger version

Name:	a different app showing 2 contacts lists.png
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	4841675   Click image for larger version

Name:	a different contacts app showing 2 contact lists.png
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	4841677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Google acct exists in Google app.png
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	4841679  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)