FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,176 Vote(s)
59.18%
Yes, kind of.

469 Vote(s)
23.60%
No, needs improvement.

342 Vote(s)
17.21%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,430 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,706

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th October 2019, 05:14 AM |#29661  
Thanks Meter: 295

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

What device and android version is this? I don't recognize that screen. Do you get that when you select accounts in the contacts app's settings?

If you try to set the "default account for new contacts" in the contacts app's settings, that's when you get the device only option?

And if you go to "restore contacts", again in the contacts app's settings, do you get the option to use the Google account?

Thanks for trying to help.

The phone is a Moto G7 running stock android pie.

The screenshot is from a different contacts app to demonstrate that the problem is only in Google contacts. In Google contacts app I cannot demonstrate that there do exist contacts in both the Google account and the local phone account.

When I select the default account in the Google contacts app I only have a choice of the 'Device' not my google account. It is not offered as a choice. That is precisely what the problem is. The choice appears in other contacts apps which is why I'm stumped.

"If you try to set the "default account for new contacts" in the contacts app's settings, that's when you get the device only option?"

Correct. That's what I don't understand and want to fix.

"And if you go to "restore contacts", again in the contacts app's settings, do you get the option to use the Google account?"

I don't get asked at all. It just restores. I've stopped restoring because I get duplicates. I've used android for years but this is really confusing.

Here are some informative screenshots to illustrate the dilemma.

1st from Google contacts app
2 - 4 from other apps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google contacts app.png
Views:	88
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	4841673   Click image for larger version

Name:	a different app showing 2 contacts lists.png
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	4841675   Click image for larger version

Name:	a different contacts app showing 2 contact lists.png
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	4841677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Google acct exists in Google app.png
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	4841679  
12th October 2019, 05:31 AM |#29662  
Thanks Meter: 2,370

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

Thanks for trying to help.

The phone is a Moto G7 running stock android pie.

The screenshot is from a different contacts app to demonstrate that the problem is only in Google contacts. In Google contacts app I cannot demonstrate that there do exist contacts in both the Google account and the local phone account.

When I select the default account in the Google contacts app I only have a choice of the 'Device' not my google account. It is not offered as a choice. That is precisely what the problem is. The choice appears in other contacts apps which is why I'm stumped.

"If you try to set the "default account for new contacts" in the contacts app's settings, that's when you get the device only option?"

Correct. That's what I don't understand and want to fix.

"And if you go to "restore contacts", again in the contacts app's settings, do you get the option to use the Google account?"

I don't get asked at all. It just restores. I've stopped restoring because I get duplicates. I've used android for years but this is really confusing.

Here are some informative screenshots to illustrate the dilemma.

Have you tried wiping cache/dalvik in recovery? Do you have a custom recovery?

Removing the Google account from the device, then wiping the contacts app data and cache again before installing the Google account might be another approach.

Is it possible that the other contacts app is interfering?

There is always reboot to safe mode and see if things work. That's always know on my list since it will reset settings back to default.
12th October 2019, 05:42 AM |#29663  

More
Quote:

Removing the Google account from the device, then wiping the contacts app data and cache again before installing the Google account might be another approach.

There is always reboot to safe mode and see if things work. That's always know on my list since it will reset settings back to default.

"Have you tried wiping cache/dalvik in recovery? Do you have a custom recovery?"

No I haven't tried that. Not sure what data I would lose if I did that.
Yes I have twrp nandroid backups.

"Removing the Google account from the device, then wiping the contacts app data and cache again before installing the Google account might be another approach."

Scary. Won't that destroy all my installed apps?

"There is always reboot to safe mode and see if things work. That's always know on my list since it will reset settings back to default"

How do I do safe mode?
Won't that make me lose data?

Going to sleep now. Thanks for helping. Really appreciate it.
12th October 2019, 11:09 AM |#29664  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Black Diamond Rom bug
Hey guys. I have a problem with my FingerPrint.
I just installed the BlackDiamond (Note8 port to S7edge - Android 9) and everythings works fine but my fingerprint. I tried to flash ThunderStorms kenel or Moro Kernel but nothing works.
I have flash so may customs roms and this is the first time that this happens.
Basically, when I try to add a FingerPrint, it says 'Verify that the sensor is clean and dry and try again'.

Can anyone help?
I though about gathering all the fingerprint sensor apps in apk format and flash them individually but It would take too much time with no guarantee that that it works and it is hard to find these files
12th October 2019, 04:04 PM |#29665  

More
Quote:

I think I will just freeze Google's Contacts app and use the much superior 'True Phone' app instead. Works like a charm.
12th October 2019, 05:52 PM |#29666  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

I think I will just freeze Google's Contacts app and use the much superior 'True Phone' app instead. Works like a charm.

Sounds like a plan

Quote:

"Have you tried wiping cache/dalvik in recovery? Do you have a custom recovery?"

No I haven't tried that. Not sure what data I would lose if I did that.

No data loss. It's always the basic, "kick the tires" solution to odd issues.

Quote:

"Removing the Google account from the device, then wiping the contacts app data and cache again before installing the Google account might be another approach."

Scary. Won't that destroy all my installed apps?

No. Again, this is the basic approach to Google account issues.

Quote:

"There is always reboot to safe mode and see if things work. That's always know on my list since it will reset settings back to default"

How do I do safe mode?
Won't that make me lose data?

Most devices reboot to safe mode by long pressing the power off entry in the power menu - the menu that comes up when you press the device's power button.

I want to make some constructive criticism. Please don't take this personally, just to help you.

You started all of this by indicating that you are experienced and a long time android user. In this forum, that statement comes with some assumption that there is more familiarity with Android than just as a user. However, the questions above indicate little familiarity. You did your efforts a disservice when the people trying to help you are assuming a higher level of understanding.

One of the things I skipped over is the idea that your Google account (in settings) is actually enabled to sync contacts. I believe if that is turned off, the only option is to save to device.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xv_Parox

Hey guys. I have a problem with my FingerPrint.
I just installed the BlackDiamond (Note8 port to S7edge - Android 9) and everythings works fine but my fingerprint. I tried to flash ThunderStorms kenel or Moro Kernel but nothing works.
I have flash so may customs roms and this is the first time that this happens.
Basically, when I try to add a FingerPrint, it says 'Verify that the sensor is clean and dry and try again'.

Can anyone help?
I though about gathering all the fingerprint sensor apps in apk format and flash them individually but It would take too much time with no guarantee that that it works and it is hard to find these files

I see that you posted in the BlackDiamond NFE Port thread at about the same time you posted here. You also have gotten several responses in that thread. Those are the users who are most familiar with that ROM on that device.

By posting in both locations, you have cross-posted which is a no-no on this forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
12th October 2019, 06:04 PM |#29667  

More
I appreciate all your help and advice. No offense taken at all. You are a kind person.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maybeme2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maybeme2 Ad-Free
14th October 2019, 04:51 AM |#29668  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 34

Donate to Me
More
I was to try build kernel on ubuntu 16 lts
I have already source code for my samsung A705gm
And also configured toolchain

But got some error when compiling
Please help where I am wrong
Attached Files
File Type: txt error.txt - [Click for QR Code] (4.8 KB, 4 views)
14th October 2019, 05:07 AM |#29669  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbs4u

I was to try build kernel on ubuntu 16 lts
I have already source code for my samsung A705gm
And also configured toolchain

But got some error when compiling
Please help where I am wrong

I'm going to suggest the same thing that DiamondJohn suggested to a similar question earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

You may get more responses in the following threads
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ernel-t3627297
https://forum.xda-developers.com/che...pment-t2814763

16th October 2019, 05:09 AM |#29670  

More
android-x86 fetch error
I'm trying to build android 10 for Qubes OS (xen). This is the guide I've followed:

Code:
1. Install packages in whonix-14-ws template:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-dev-i386 lib32ncurses5-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libxml2-utils xsltproc unzip gettext python-pip libyaml-dev dosfstools syslinux syslinux-utils xorriso mtools makebootfat lunzip

2. Create builder AppVM based on whonix-14-ws in which you'll build android-x86:
qvm-volume extend android-builder:private 300g

Add 30GB swap in builder VM:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/rw/swapfile bs=1024 count=31457280
sudo chown root:root /rw/swapfile
sudo chmod 0600 /rw/swapfile
sudo mkswap /rw/swapfile
sudo swapon /rw/swapfile

In builder VM run:

sudo ln -s /sbin/mkdosfs /usr/local/bin/mkdosfs
sudo pip install prettytable Mako pyaml dateutils --upgrade
export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx8G"
echo 'export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx8G"' >> ~/.profile
echo "sudo swapon /rw/swapfile" >> /rw/config/rc.local

Download android-x86 sources:

mkdir android-x86
cd android-x86
curl https://storage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > repo
chmod a+x repo
sudo install repo /usr/local/bin
rm repo
git config --global user.name "Your Name"
git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
repo init -u git://git.osdn.net/gitroot/android-x86/manifest -b q-x86

Download sources:
repo sync --no-tags --no-clone-bundle --force-sync -j$( nproc --all )

Edit android-x86 sources for XEN compatibility:
sed -i -e 's|/sys/block/\[shv\]d\[a-z\]|/sys/block/\[shv\]d\[a-z\] /sys/block/xvd\[a-z\]|g' bootable/newinstaller/install/scripts/1-install
sed -i -e 's|/sys/block/\[shv\]d\$h/\$1|/sys/block/\[shv\]d\$h/\$1 /sys/block/xvd\$h/\$1|g' bootable/newinstaller/install/scripts/1-install
sed -i -e 's|hmnsv|hmnsvx|g' bootable/newinstaller/initrd/init

Edit android-x86 sources for Debian build environment:
sed -i -e 's|genisoimage|xorriso -as mkisofs|g' bootable/newinstaller/Android.mk

Configure build target:
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch android_x86_64-userdebug

Configure kernel:
/usr/bin/make -C kernel O=$OUT/obj/kernel ARCH=x86 menuconfig
You need to edit these parameters:
XEN=yes
XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=yes
XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=yes
XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=no
XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=no
SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM=yes
SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM_VALUE=1
SECURITY_SELINUX_DISABLE=yes
DEFAULT_SECURITY_SELINUX=yes

The kernel config will be in out/target/product/x86_64/obj/kernel/.config

Also, you can edit the config to set the device type from tablet to phone.
Edit device/generic/common/device.mk and change PRODUCT_CHARACTERISTICS from tablet to default:
PRODUCT_CHARACTERISTICS := default

Start the build:
m -j$( nproc --all ) iso_img

After you got the iso, create the android network VM. If you choose the android VM's netvm as sys-whonix directly, the network won't work. You need to have intermediate netvm between android VM and sys-whonix. Create new AppVM sys-android based on fedora template with netvm sys-whonix and set "provides network".

Create android VM in dom0:
qvm-create --class StandaloneVM --label green --property virt_mode=hvm android
qvm-prefs android kernel ''
qvm-prefs android 'sys-android'
qvm-prefs android memory '2048'
qvm-prefs android maxmem '2048'
qvm-volume extend android:root 20g

Start the android VM with iso:
qvm-start android --cdrom=android-builder:/home/user/android-x86/out/target/product/x86_64/android_x86_64.iso

Install android-x86 on xvda and reboot.

Start android VM without iso:
qvm-start android
When it'll start, kill the VM and wait for it to halt.
Configure android VM to use the mouse in dom0:
sudo mkdir -p /etc/qubes/templates/libvirt/xen/by-name/
sudo cp /etc/libvirt/libxl/android.xml /etc/qubes/templates/libvirt/xen/by-name/android.xml
sudo sed -i -e 's/tablet/mouse/g' /etc/qubes/templates/libvirt/xen/by-name/android.xml

Start android VM without iso and it should work fine:
qvm-start android
From this error when fetching the the projects,

Code:
Fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported:
, does that mean I have no access to this branch and there is nothing I can do right now? I've succeeded building the ROM for pie branch, so I want to try to build the q-x86 branch.
16th October 2019, 07:17 AM |#29671  

More
Which phone should I buy for custom rom development support?
I'm planning on buying a OnePlus phone; either a 7 Pro, 7T or 7T Pro. Which one should be going forward with for custom rom development support?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)