Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720) - Root Instructions (Release 1.0)

Search This thread

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
" Magisk Manager, if NOT set-up properly OR with root disabled, will look like this:

"

So am stuck on this part where i keep getting this. how do i enable the root or how do i set up probably? i keep holding the power + volume up till i see the MSG u referred to, it boots to the recovery mode.
Saw your PM. You're holding PWR & VOL+ before you see any logo, and UNTIL you see the red warning message?

Reactions: grävling

Coxe099

Sep 27, 2019
Correct, and also the device before it shows the red warning msg it also shows the bootloader warning msg. So am following the instructions to keep holding Untill i see the red warning msg and release the buttons. it gets me to the recovery mode every time. i dont know what to do

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
Correct, and also the device before it shows the red warning msg it also shows the bootloader warning msg. So am following the instructions to keep holding Untill i see the red warning msg and release the buttons. it gets me to the recovery mode every time. i dont know what to do

I'm not nearly as technically able as the OP (my contribution to this effort was editorial and testing), so can only say that the instructions have worked perfectly for many others. Have you tried to contact him?

Last edited:

filjusz

Damn. I've unlocked bootloader, and when i try to flash vmbeta it tells me "only official binaries are allowed". Cant flash anything except stock rom, state is prenormal. Any help would be appreciated as i never had problem like this before.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Nevermind. Fixed this by reflashing stock

Reactions: TiTiB

Solidium

Apr 9, 2012
Moto G Play
Moto G Stylus 5G
i am having a problem
i followed the original post instructions and everything went fine, until the last steps.
under section 12, after using odin to flash "magisk_patched.tar" you have to hold "VOL-" & "PWR" to soft reset then immediately switch from "VOL-" to "VOL+" in order to get to recovery.
i did this except it did not bring me to recovery
the screen i get instead says

"You are not using offical samsung firmware." with the yellow triangle

i can soft reset but cannot get into recovery or download mode, nor am i able to shut off the tablet
it also does not come up with "adb devices -l"

Last edited:

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Question about Android Stock

hi folks. This is gonna be a total newb question so brace yourselves. I haven't done any of this stuff in a couple years at this point so probably terrible question. Is the first post in this thread going to get me to stock Android 10 on my Galaxy Tab S5e? That's really all i'm looking to do at this point as I really like the tablet size/screen but hate the Sammy firmware on this thing. I just want to get stock Android installed on it if possible. Again, sorry if it's a dumb question but I didn't see a ROM file or anything going through those steps pretty carefully. If the answer is no, can someone point me in the right direction for stock Android ROM for this device? Thanks.

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Tried today and it workes.

Thank you :)

Hi there. Were you responding to my post right before yours asking if I just follow the walk through on the first post it will get me stock Android installed on the GTab S5e? If you can let me know I would really appreciate it! I just didn't see a link to download a ROM in there anywhere so I was thinking maybe it just gets me root with nothing installed. Thanks.

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
hi folks. This is gonna be a total newb question so brace yourselves. I haven't done any of this stuff in a couple years at this point so probably terrible question. Is the first post in this thread going to get me to stock Android 10 on my Galaxy Tab S5e? That's really all i'm looking to do at this point as I really like the tablet size/screen but hate the Sammy firmware on this thing. I just want to get stock Android installed on it if possible. Again, sorry if it's a dumb question but I didn't see a ROM file or anything going through those steps pretty carefully. If the answer is no, can someone point me in the right direction for stock Android ROM for this device? Thanks.
You get the 'ROM' during the 'Frija - Downloads the latest available Samsung firmware.' steps.
Kinda in a nutshell, so you can look at it from the right perspective
1. Download firmware to PC
2. Extract parts of it
3. Flash

All this happens at various points of the process and you end up with a rooted stock device.

Any other questions, please ask. I'm fairly familiar with the process because I went through it four times during testing. It might seem cinfusing, but if followed exactly you won't have any problems.

skylinesedge

Nov 7, 2013
I'm on FW: SM-T720_1_20190819132214_9o78o94z5l_fac
I followed the instructions to the letter several times, and keep getting stuck at the final reboot.
Once I flash the modified patched magisk tar to AP, I try to reboot using the key combos, and no matter what I get stuck at a blue screen with a red exclamation mark.
Error message reads:
"
partition vbmeta
Reason: Error verifying vbmeta image: 0_0_INDIVLDVMT_........
"
Why is it rejecting the modified vbmeta? Is it some issue with dm-verity?
Help would be appreciated

Reactions: Hamadvtc48

Hamadvtc48

Oct 13, 2019
I'm on FW: SM-T720_1_20190819132214_9o78o94z5l_fac
I followed the instructions to the letter several times, and keep getting stuck at the final reboot.
Once I flash the modified patched magisk tar to AP, I try to reboot using the key combos, and no matter what I get stuck at a blue screen with a red exclamation mark.
Error message reads:
"
partition vbmeta
Reason: Error verifying vbmeta image: 0_0_INDIVLDVMT_........
"
Why is it rejecting the modified vbmeta? Is it some issue with dm-verity?
Help would be appreciated

I have same problem I have tried more then 5 times
And face same thing..:crying:

https://ibb.co/z7Rjw72
https://ibb.co/CKGsxTV

CKGsxTV

z7Rjw72

Last edited:

skylinesedge

Nov 7, 2013
I suspect its an issue with magisk 20.0, as others have reported success rooting with my FW version (August security patch). How can I use a legacy version of magisk (V19.5)? The app seems to force an update even with WIFI off. A legacy ZIP doesn't help because we need to use recovery mode....

EDIT1: Found this custom update channel,
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ianmacd/MagiskBuilds/master/updates/ianmacd.json
This provides V19.5 for now. Add it in your magisk settings

EDIT2:
No luck with Magisk 19.5, getting the same error....
I will try earlier versions...

EDIT3:
I wasn't able to get this method working, so instead I'm using the following kernel
https://xdaforums.com/tab-s5e/development/kernel-luiskernel-gts4lvwifi-gts4lvlte-t3977343
Follow the instructions outlined there to install TWRP, and then flash the custom kernel. This kernel allows for traditional magisk install method (flashing zip through TWRP). Expect a few bootloops before the OS kicks in (took me three boots, YMMV).
Works beautifully this way. Using Magisk V20.
Thanks to 8224Freak for the kernel

Last edited:

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks.

You get the 'ROM' during the 'Frija - Downloads the latest available Samsung firmware.' steps.
2. Extract parts of it
3. Flash

All this happens at various points of the process and you end up with a rooted stock device.

Any other questions, please ask. I'm fairly familiar with the process because I went through it four times during testing. It might seem cinfusing, but if followed exactly you won't have any problems.

Thanks for your reply and additional help offer. Really appreciate that. Going to give this a go sometime this week I think. Thanks again!

fuzzyreets

Dec 24, 2011
Error 102

2. Extract parts of it
3. Flash

Any other questions, please ask. I'm fairly familiar with the process because I went through it four times during testing. It might seem confusing, but if followed exactly you won't have any problems.

Hello TiTiB! I'm taking you up on your offer. I didn't get very far :) I'm getting error 102 (pic attached) when I try to run this. Running as administrator. What do I do?

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 117

mingkee

I suspect its an issue with magisk 20.0, as others have reported success rooting with my FW version (August security patch). How can I use a legacy version of magisk (V19.5)? The app seems to force an update even with WIFI off. A legacy ZIP doesn't help because we need to use recovery mode....

EDIT1: Found this custom update channel,
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ianmacd/MagiskBuilds/master/updates/ianmacd.json
This provides V19.5 for now. Add it in your magisk settings

EDIT2:
No luck with Magisk 19.5, getting the same error....
I will try earlier versions...

EDIT3:
I wasn't able to get this method working, so instead I'm using the following kernel
https://xdaforums.com/tab-s5e/development/kernel-luiskernel-gts4lvwifi-gts4lvlte-t3977343
Follow the instructions outlined there to install TWRP, and then flash the custom kernel. This kernel allows for traditional magisk install method (flashing zip through TWRP). Expect a few bootloops before the OS kicks in (took me three boots, YMMV).
Works beautifully this way. Using Magisk V20.
Thanks to 8224Freak for the kernel

This Magisk update gives me headache and I had to reinstall ROM, and tried flashing with V20 and V21 (Canary) and no dice.
The method above seems to be OK (knock on wood)
All other machines got Netflix back after Magisk updated to V20. Only S5e gives me headache.

Reactions: TiTiB

Clandaries

May 9, 2013
Stapel
I think it is not possible to update Magisk via the manager.

In TWRP we can update Magisk i dit to update to Magisk 20.

Netflix seems to work for me. I have no account but the app starts without any error.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Requirements & Instructions

HARDWARE & SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

• Windows Laptop/PC with more than 25GB of available storage space
    • SM-T720 Tablet (Galaxy Tab S5e)
    • Samsung USB Type-C Cable (as found in the original packaging)
    • WIFI connection (and if necessary, login details)
    SECTION ONE - LOG-OUT & BACK-UP YOUR DATA

Log out of your Samsung and Google account(s).

Back-up ANY and ALL data as following this guide will result in COMPLETE data loss.

SECTION TWO - DOWNLOAD THE RIGHT UTILITIES

In order to root, you require several utilities.

They are as followed:

Samsung USB Drivers - Provides connectivity between Laptop/PC and your device.

7-Zip - An open-source file archiver.

Odin 3.13.1 - Used to flash original or custom Samsung firmware.

Frija - Downloads the latest available Samsung firmware.

Magisk Manager (APK) - Helps obtain/manage and extend root options. Download the latest .APK (Application Package).

Click on the UNDERLINED NAME of the above utilities to download them to your local Laptop/PC.

PRO-TIP: Create sub-directories, like pictured below, and organize your downloads accordingly:

fv1roGJh.jpg

PRO-TIP: Consider a donation to Frija, Magisk or your favorite developers as a token of goodwill and to help ensure future development efforts.

SECTION THREE - DOWNLOAD THE RIGHT FIRMWARE

In order to root or, at a later time, return to original factory settings; you MUST have a local copy of firmware.

This requires knowing our CSC; a three letter code that Samsung devices use to comply with local telecommunication standards and determine device-specific features or updates.

To locate your CSC, perform the following:

On your device, go to 'Settings'
    From 'Settings', scroll down to 'About Tablet'.
    Press on 'About Tablet' followed by a press on 'Software Information'
    Scroll downwards until you see 'Service Provider SW Ver.'
    There are three lines.
    The third line will read similar to the following:
    TUR//

8d79Pd8l.jpg

Those three characters (e.g., TUR) represent the CSC code for your region.

PRO-TIP: Your CSC may OR may not be the same as the example; that's expected and perfectly normal.

Open Frija, which you downloaded under 'Section One', and input your model and CSC.

Make sure 'Auto' is selected and click on 'Check Update'.

If the right values are inputted, Frija will look similar to the following:

dQAmwVIl.jpg

Click on 'Download' and select a location on your Laptop/PC.

When the download is complete, Frija will verify and decrypt the firmware.

Once finished, Frija will look similar to this example:

aHt9ICBl.jpg

PRO-TIP: If you can't get Frija to open or download, right click and select 'Run as administrator'.

SECTION FOUR - UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER
    THIS STEP WILL REMOVE ALL DATA FROM YOUR DEVICE. PLEASE REFER TO 'SECTION ONE' FOR MORE DETAILS.

Power off the device.

Power on your Laptop/PC and login into your Windows account.

Connect the USB cable to your Laptop/PC but NOT to your device.

On the device, hold the 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Down' keys at the SAME time.

zaMSLbnl.jpg

Connect the USB Cable from your Laptop/PC to the device.

MzWasVRl.jpg

You MUST hold BOTH keys during AND after inserting the USB Cable to receive the following warning:

75AN0JDl.jpg

PRO-TIP: In SOME cases, you may also need to hold 'POWER' as well.

To continue towards unlocking your bootloader, hold the 'Volume Up' key for approximately 4 to 5 seconds (or until the screen goes black).

After 4 to 5 seconds have passed (or if the screen went black), release the 'Volume Up' key and you will be presented with one last warning:

lEQlbhpl.jpg

4MPwQhQl.jpg

Press and click on the 'Volume Up' key to finalize your decision.

The device will factory reset and from now on, until the bootloader is re-locked, you will receive this warning:

kzR7FOIl.jpg

Leave the device to reinitialize. This will take approximately three minutes. The device will erase itself and you will notice several reboots. Afterwards the only activity you'll see is a pulsing 'SAMSUNG' logo. Eventually you will be presented with the 'Let's Go!' set-up screen. Set the device aside for now.

SECTION FIVE - INSTALLING 7-ZIP

If you correctly followed the first FOUR sections, you now have the required utilities, firmware and an unlocked bootloader.

In order to proceed, you MUST install 7-Zip to extract and manipulate key files required for root.

If you have prior experience with 7-Zip or an alternate compression manager, SKIP this step and proceed to 'SECTION SIX'.

It IS enough to double-click the EXECUTABLE and install it; you need NOT configure anything.

However, for a visual reference, follow this LINK to see 7-Zip in use.

Alternately, for technical support and assistance SPECIFIC to 7-Zip, use this LINK. Search thoroughly before posting.

SECTION SIX - EXTRACTING FIRMWARE

Like the CSC code, mentioned in 'SECTION THREE', the name of your download will differ slightly but 'SM-T720' and 'AP_T720' will be in the file name:

ZCh4LUBl.jpg

Using 7-Zip, you must extract the following file:

AP_T720XXU1ASF1_CL15813856_QB24038915_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar.md5

From the following ZIP container:

SM-T720_1_20190603182427_gegcc1ebw1_fac.zip

Right click on your ZIP container, navigate to '7-Zip' and, from the sub-menu, select 'Extract Here'.

OtP4MFul.jpg

7-Zip will begin to decompress the necessary files and will result in the following output:

2rWKOlyl.jpg

Delete ALL files except for the following:

AP_T720XXU1ASF1_CL15813856_QB24038915_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar.md5

Rename the extension of 'AP_T720XX.....tar.md5' to 'AP_T720XX.....tar' and ignore the warning provided by Windows.

When finished, your folder contents will look similar to this:

YFyHhhOl.jpg

The AP file is required for root.

PRO-TIP: Keep the ZIP container should you ever want to revert back to original factory settings. If not, delete it and download again later using Frija.

SECTION SEVEN - ENABLE WIFI, TRANSFER FILES & INSTALL MAGISK MANAGER

In 'SECTION FOUR', the device was left to reinitialize.

This means you have a device that requires set-up:

JugCu1Jl.jpg

Do NOT log into your Samsung or Google account. The ONLY thing required is WIFI:

ZkOiEMql.jpg

PRO-TIP: WIFI and Magisk work together to help achieve root access, provide updates and for module repository access.

Once you've arrived at the home screen, you need to enable 'Developer Options' to ensure the bootloader is unlocked.

To verify your bootloader is unlocked, perform the following:

On your device, go to 'Settings'.
    From 'Settings', scroll down to 'About Tablet'.
    Press on 'Software Information'.
    Scroll downwards until you see 'Build Number'.
    Tap 'Build Number' seven times to enable 'Developer Options'.
    Press the back button on the navigation bar to return to 'Settings'.
    Underneath 'About Tablet', you will now see 'Developer Options'.
    Open this and locate 'OEM Unlocking'.
    If you've followed the outlined steps, your screen should match this example:

JFcJni6l.jpg

PRO-TIP: If your screen does NOT match the example, it is possible you are NOT connected to WIFI or you did NOT successfully unlock the bootloader. If all these conditions are true, restart the device and check again. If the issue persists, create a NEW response in the thread.

Now connect the device to your Laptop/PC and, when prompted, 'Allow access to tablet data'.

b0NVc8Hl.jpg

Using Windows Explorer, copy the following files to the 'Download' folder of your device:

MagiskManager-v7.3.2.apk
    AP_T720XXU1ASF1_CL15813856_QB24038915_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar

Due to the size of the AP file, this may take several minutes on a low-end Laptop/PC.

HFesKvhl.jpg

Once the copy is complete, go to your device and double press on 'MagiskManager-v7.3.2.apk' to initiate the install process.

PRO-TIP: Due to changes introduced in Android Oreo, you MUST allow permission to install applications (APKs) not obtained from the PlayStore.

0RZaK81l.jpg

Click on 'Settings' to open the 'Install unknown apps' screen and toggle 'Allow from this source' on.

qhhBOZEl.jpg

Press the back button on the navigation bar to allow the installation:

FS39HfOl.jpg

NNK0PKTl.jpg

SECTION EIGHT - PATCH YOUR AP FILE

Open your app tray by swiping up and open Magisk Manager.

You will see a RED QUESTION MARK and the following error:

'Magisk is not installed.'

bz3mnObl.jpg

Click on 'Install' and, when prompted by Magisk, select 'Install' again:

Af4JK48l.jpg

e7XCwO8l.jpg

Magisk will provide another prompt:

DltXSHRl.jpg

Choose 'Select and Patch a File' to proceed.

Magisk will now prompt for device access:

PagsJ8Nl.jpg

Click on 'Allow' and the internal Device File Explorer will open to the 'Recent' tab:

4sKo67xl.jpg

Click on the top app bar and select 'Downloads' to find your AP file:

pNrgI3ml.jpg

And then:

rx2QxBbl.jpg

Once inside the 'Downloads' folder, select your AP file to begin the flash process.

KDr51Avl.jpg

Once the flash process is complete, the status on the top title bar will change from 'Flashing' to 'Done!':

UoCfg2il.jpg

SECTION NINE - RETRIEVAL & DISSECTION

With our AP file patched by Magisk, you must now locate and transfer it back to our Laptop/PC.

If you have not already done so, reconnect the device to your Laptop/PC:

MzWasVRl.jpg

Open Windows Explorer, double-click on 'Tab S5e', double-click again on 'Tablet' and open the 'Downloads' folder:

9P7j22Hl.jpg

Under 'Downloads', you will see THREE files:

AP_T720XXU1ASF1_CL15813856_QB24038915_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar
    magisk_patched.tar
    magisk_install_log_2019-07-10T225845Z

PRO-TIP: 'magisk_install_log' is an output of the AP file patching process. If you encountered ANY errors, keep a copy and raise a question in the thread.

Delete 'AP_T720XX.....tar' and copy 'magisk_patched.tar' back to your Laptop/PC; preferably to the 'FIRMWARE' sub-directory suggested in 'SECTION TWO'.

Due to the size of the 'magisk_patched.tar' file, this may take several minutes on a low-end Laptop/PC.

Once the transfer is complete, let's make room in our 'FIRMWARE' folder by deleting the 'AP_T720XX.....tar' file.

This should leave you with TWO files:

magisk_patched.tar

Move OR delete the 'SM-T720.....fac.zip' container so you can focus exclusively on 'magisk_patched.tar'.

With NO files left except for 'magisk_patched.tar', you must now use 7-Zip again to extract its contents.

PRO-TIP: Refer to 'SECTION FIVE' if you need a refresher on 7-Zip.

Right-click on the 'magisk_patched.tar' container, navigate to '7-Zip' and, from the sub-menu, select 'Extract Here'.

Once all files are extracted, your output will look similar to, if NOT exactly like, this:

4glKI6Pl.jpg

Now DELETE these files:

dtbo.img.lz4
    magisk_patched.tar
    modem.bin.lz4
    persist.img.ext4.lz4
    system.img.ext4.lz4
    userdata.img.ext4.lz4
    vendor.img.ext4.lz4

In order to have the following:

meta-data [FOLDER]
    boot.img
    recovery.img
    vbmeta.img

If done correctly, your folder output will look like this:

ExxEzTMl.jpg

SECTION TEN - CREATE YOUR TAR
    In 'SECTION NINE', you organized the following list of files/folder:

meta-data [FOLDER]
    boot.img
    recovery.img
    vbmeta.img

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your 'Firmware' folder (or whatever location you used).

Now, using 7-Zip, you need to compress these files into a TAR container.

This means you must select ALL files.

This can be achieved by using CRTL + A on your keyboard or simply by highlighting them all with a left-click:

N9HBwIyl.jpg

Right-click on the selected files, navigate to '7-Zip' and, from the sub-menu, select 'Add to archive...':

Rmtlfb6l.jpg

If done correctly, the following screen will present itself:

cRVRo3ll.jpg

Only THREE things MUST be done to complete our TAR:

Change the filename to 'magisk_patched' WITHOUT quotations
    Change the 'Archive format' to 'TAR'
    Click on 'OK' to confirm your decisions and begin compression:

ikRStEGl.jpg

PRO-TIP: If, for ANY reason, you don't want to keep these files, you can select 'Delete files after compression' before clicking on 'OK'.

With this step complete, you are left with the following output:

y5EVzEjl.jpg

SECTION ELEVEN - DOWNLOAD MODE
    Using the 'Power' key on your device , select 'Power off':

twjJLsYl.jpg

Disconnect the USB cable or the device will switch to 'Charging Mode':

BFYCibVl.jpg

On your device, hold 'Volume Up' and 'Power' together until the 'Android Recovery' screen appears:

c57zM9pl.jpg

'VOLUME UP' will navigate upwards, 'VOLUME DOWN' will navigate downwards, and 'POWER' will highlight and confirm your choice.

PRO-TIP: You may have to press 'POWER' twice.

Highlight and select 'Reboot to bootloader' to properly put your device into 'Download Mode':

1QQJ9Yyl.jpg

Reconnect the device back to your Laptop/PC.

SECTION TWELVE - ODIN PREPARATION AND FLASH
    Now, because recovery is unavailable, you must use Odin to flash your TAR file to introduce root.

In 'SECTION TWO', you downloaded Odin and created a folder for it.

You must now go to that folder, or whatever folder you opted to use, and decompress Odin.

Right-click on the 'Odin3_v3.13.1.zip' container, navigate to '7-Zip' and, from the sub-menu, select 'Extract Here'.

This will create a sub-directory called 'Odin3_v3.13.1'.

Double-click and you will be presented with the following output:

cxuGaeHl.jpg

Double-click on 'Odin3 v3.13.1.exe' to launch the application.

You will receive a prompt written in both English and Korean. Click 'OK' to close the warning.

With Odin open, locate and click on the second tab called 'Options' and uncheck 'Auto Reboot':

maMzpwql.jpg

When you click on the 'AP' button, Windows File Explorer will automatically launch.

As per 'SECTION NINE', and using Windows File Explorer, navigate to the location you created and saved 'magisk_patched.tar'.

Double-click 'magisk_patched.tar' (or alternatively, highlight the file and select 'Open') to have it load into the AP slot:

8pbfzuSl.jpg

With all these steps completed and your device connected, STOP and read below:

A green navigation bar on Odin, and a white bar on you device, will appear.
    This indicates that key files are being written to your device.
    Irregardless of how quick or slow the progress bar is, DO NOT disconnect the device.
    The device, no matter if the flash was successful or not, will do NOTHING because you unchecked 'Auto Reboot'.
    Wait for 'PASS!' to appear in Odin before you disconnect your device.

If everything was done correctly, Odin will look like this:

NN7SbLpl.jpg

Your device, on the other hand, will have the following bar across its screen:

Otm716yl.jpg

Now disconnect the device, STOP and read below until you feel comfortable enough to execute the instructions:

Hold 'Volume Down' and 'Power' until the screen goes black (also known as a 'Soft Reset').
    The moment the screen goes black, continue to hold down 'Power' but QUICKLY switch so now only 'Volume Up' is being held.
    Do this until you enter 'Android Recovery'.
    As outlined in 'SECTION ELEVEN', use the 'Volume Keys' & 'Power' to navigate the menu.
    First select 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset' and, upon completion, choose 'Reboot System Now'.
    Your device will reboot several times. This is expected behavior.

If everything was done correctly, your device will reinitialize and require set-up again:

JugCu1Jl.jpg

SECTION THIRTEEN - ROOT VERIFICATION
    Like 'SECTION SEVEN', you need WIFI to complete set-up but mustn't log into ANY accounts.

Also, like 'SECTION SEVEN', you will need to install Magisk Manager again.

Once the first two steps are complete, power-off the device:

twjJLsYl.jpg

With the device powered off AND disconnected, hold down 'Volume Up' and 'Power' until you see the following warning:

bjeoycEl.jpg

WARNING: From now on, on EVERY BOOT or REBOOT, you MUST do this if you want Magisk enabled.

Release all keys and allow the device to boot.

Once Android is loaded, launch Magisk from your app drawer.

If you are prompted to update, do so but select 'Direct Install (Recommended)' and remember the key sequence on reboot:

qH7RzSGl.jpg

NjFIzHHl.jpg

Magisk Manager, if set-up properly AND with root enabled, will look like this:

ezi9gBOl.jpg

Magisk Manager, if NOT set-up properly OR with root disabled, will look like this:

Zq9WJAIl.jpg

PRO-TIP: To further validate root, you can use an application like 'Root Checker' to verify:

BFzyiJol.jpg

You may now log into your accounts and finish configuring the device.
    This guide is based on the original PewPewK post.

Which, in turn, was inspired by TopJohnWu's 'Samsung (System-as-root)' Magisk Installation Guide

It is an extended walk through aimed at ALL users, meant specifically for the SM-T720 (Tab S5e) BUT specifically meant to:

UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER
    INTRODUCE ROOT
    RESTORE STOCK/RELOCK THE BOOTLOADER

Because of the community support, the options available to you have become numerous!

So if you're looking to squeeze EVERY inch out of your tablet, search the thread for suggestions or see the links below:

Go HERE if you are interested in custom recovery (e.g., TWRP).

Go HERE if you are interested in custom ROMs or kernels.

ROOT WARNING

Introducing root and further tampering may lead to unfavorable performance and/or shortened device lifespan.

In extreme circumstances, it may render your device OR specific hardware components unstable or non-functioning.

By following this guide, you ACKNOWLEDGE these risks and release AHE_XDA, XDA and its CONTRIBUTORS of ANY and ALL responsibility.

WARRANTY WARNING

In many states, countries, provinces and territories, introducing root voids device warranty (manufacturer's and/or third-party). Please consult your regional Samsung office, place of purchase or third-party warranty company to determine if these terms are applicable to you.

ALTERNATIVES TO ROOT

If you are looking to maintain warranty and continue access to Samsung-specific features, consider disabling or uninstalling unwanted applications via the Android Debugging Bridge (ADB).

TiTiB, a genius in his own right, has a thread dedicated to the Tab S5e and bloat removal without the cost of warranty.

Visit it HERE and click 'Thanks!' if it helped.
    Recognition & Sharing Policy

RECOGNITION

This guide, and the required methods and software, would NOT be possible with the efforts of the following individuals:

@topjohnwu
    @ianmacd
    @LuK1337
    @invmini
    @CrazyApe
    @eragon5779
    @PewPewK

A sincere thank you for your time, hard work and, most importantly, determination to explore.

Praise and tribute is also extended to @TiTiB for his editorial skills, testing and much needed feedback.

SHARING POLICY
    Do NOT reuse any part of this guide without first asking.
    Do NOT reuse any part of this guide without giving credit to those in the 'RECOGNITION' header.

ALL photographs, not screenshots, are the property of myself (AHE_XDA). I spent considerable time capturing and editing each posted photograph. Therefore photographs may NOT be downloaded, copied, reproduced or used anyway without consent.

If there's something you like (styling/format/text/photographs) and want to use, ask.
    Known Issues (January 31, 2020)

KNOWN ISSUES (January 31, 2020)

Where's Recovery?

Explanation: TWRP (custom recovery) is NOW available. Please visit TeamWin for instructions.

Workaround: Resolved as of August 6, 2019.

Magisk shows as 'Not Installed.'

Explanation: Magisk, due to the changes to the recovery partition in Android Pie & above, will not boot automatically. It requires user intervention.

Workaround: To enable root access, be prepared to hold 'Volume Up' and the 'Power' keys on EVERY BOOT or REBOOT.

WiFi stopped working after installing 'magisk_patched.tar' with Odin.

Explanation: Cause unknown as of January 31, 2020.

Workaround: In some cases, after introducing root ('magisk_patched.tar'), WiFi may stop working. If this happens, do the following:

From the app drawer, go to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi.
    Highlight and select your WiFi network.
    Long press the network name and select "Forget Network".
    Wait 3 to 5 seconds.
    Press and click on the network in which you asked Android to forget.
    Re-enter your password.
    If entered correctly, WiFi will resume connectivity.

"Your phone is locked because the payment service was uninstalled."

OR

Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed (vbmeta).

Explanation: To protect against various threats (e.g., compromised data, theft or root), Samsung, as of December 2017, introduced a series of low-level initiatives to LOCK the device should ANY part of Knox be compromised. These initiatives are frequently referred to as 'KG' (KnoxGuard) or 'RMM' (Remote Monitoring and Management).

Further details can be found HERE.

Workaround: A workaround now exists, thanks to @ianmacd, but requires TWRP to be installed followed by the Samsung multi-disabler file.

If you do NOT intend to install TWRP, precautions MUST be taken not to freeze, disable or remove the following files:

'Payment Services' (com.samsung.android.kgclient)
    'KnoxGuard' (knoxguard.apk)

In most circumstances, the issue will present itself immediately after the application(s) is frozen, disabled or removed. In rare circumstances, only after a device restart.

PRO-TIP: Do NOT reboot unless absolutely necessary; opt to power down the device.

Should you encounter EITHER error, you will need to boot into 'Download Mode', revert to original factory settings and verify your Google account to avoid an FRP LOCK.

To enter 'Download Mode' and recover from the error:

Connect a USB cable to your Laptop/PC.
    With power-off on the device, hold down BOTH 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Down'.
    Connect the USB cable to the device, while holding down both volume keys, and press 'Power'.
    If done correctly, the device will boot to 'Download Mode'.

My Streaming Service won't log me in, no longer provides HD viewing or doesn't allow offline downloads.

Explanation: Widevine is a digital rights management platform used by major streaming companies to prevent piracy.

Low-level details can be found HERE.

Workaround:

Resolved by @ianmacd and his 'liboemcrypto disabler' via Magisk Manager and/or Custom Recovery (e.g, TWRP) as of April 4, 2018.

NOTE: If you installed TWRP and flashed the Samsung multi-disabler file, this issue is resolved of as December 13, 2019.

If you do NOT intend to install TWRP, log-out and uninstall your streaming application(s). With root introduced and magisk enabled, download 'liboemcrypto' from 'Modules' within Magisk Manager. You will be asked to restart after installing the module. Do this and re-enable Magisk on boot. Sideload your streaming application(s) from a source OUTSIDE the Playstore. Log in and resume streaming.

Items are ADDED and UPDATED as they are discovered, solved or a workaround is introduced. Please message me directly if something is missing.
    Return To Stock Instructions

To return to stock and/or relock the bootloader, these are the best instructions available:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79698366&postcount=44

They are originally intended for the Galaxy S10 series but work perfectly for the Tab S5e (SM-T720).

Full credit to @robbo1947.