General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
I actually have a note 10 plus. These phones are for my parents so they can play movies on their car stereos, like I can with my rooted note 4.

Im in the us. They can be second hand. I'm not gonna spend 1000 for a phone that will literally never be used or come out of the car. All I need to do is be able to circumvent android auto blocking Plex playing videos, so they can stream movies on long road trips. More than anything I just want to see if I can do it.

My mom has a verizon note 8, my dad has a verizon note 5. Neither one seems to be rootable. I didn't
want to spend much, maybe 100 max. Was hoping I could just get a prepaid android phone and be able to root it.

I would prefer samsung, just cuz I like samsung but it doesn't really matter.

Also, the title of the thread is literally "not sure what phone to buy? Ask here!" I guess I was mistaken when I took that literally.

where did you searched mate ? i literally searched 5 minutes and found forums on xda on how to root note 8 and note 5 with success. gives the preference for samsung and the price tag, you could go with a ex flagship, between the samsung s3 - s6. they have custom roms with pie. learn to search better. dont be lazy and do your homework !!

lu99ke

Aug 20, 2014
Newcastle
I actually have a note 10 plus. These phones are for my parents so they can play movies on their car stereos, like I can with my rooted note 4.

Im in the us. They can be second hand. I'm not gonna spend 1000 for a phone that will literally never be used or come out of the car. All I need to do is be able to circumvent android auto blocking Plex playing videos, so they can stream movies on long road trips. More than anything I just want to see if I can do it.

My mom has a verizon note 8, my dad has a verizon note 5. Neither one seems to be rootable. I didn't
want to spend much, maybe 100 max. Was hoping I could just get a prepaid android phone and be able to root it.

I would prefer samsung, just cuz I like samsung but it doesn't really matter.

Also, the title of the thread is literally "not sure what phone to buy? Ask here!" I guess I was mistaken when I took that literally.

Try moto C or E series .... Cheap and generally good d be support as they are very popular in Brazil.

Alternatively, Nokia 2 or 3 series. Same thing.

Reactions: terky69

OhioYJ

Feb 25, 2011
When I went to upgrade from my Nexus 7 tablets a while back the only acceptable replacement I could find was the Samsung Tab S2 (T813 or T713 different screen sizes). Both are unlockable and have good custom ROM support and have official LOS16 support. No SIM card though, just WIFI only. I was able to easily find 4 new ones a couple years ago. Not sure what you'll find now. I looked recently and didn't see support for any newer tablets.

faaramin

Aug 18, 2019
www.rahkarenovin.net
My current phone is Lenovo Zuk Z2 Plus, 4GB 64GB version.
My friend has a OnePlus 6T, 8GB 128GB phone with original screen guard and cover. The phone is still in warranty period and in a very good condition.
I can buy this phone for ₹ 24,000 (~334 USD) from him and my budget is around that.
I'm also a fan of ROM developments, tweaking, and so on. I also found that the development of OnePlus 6T is still there with strong base in XDA.
Please let me know if this deal is a good one or not.
Also please tell if any other phone is there at this range with support in XDA.

midtempo

Jan 6, 2014
https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/oneplus-6t/unlocked

As you can see, $334 is a bit high for a OnePlus 6t in good or excellent condition. If you buy used on Swappa you also gain the ability to buy damage insurance. A claim for damage can be used at certain local repair shops.

The Google Pixel series also has good developer support. Unlike OnePlus, Google Pixels other than the bargain Pixel 3a actually have published waterproofing ratings. Keep in mind that there are 3 likely ways that you will kill your phone:

1. Display damage
2. Water damage
3. Battery life reduction

#1 should be prevented by using a screen protector and a quality rugged case. Even if you do that, #2 is quite likely. Having a waterproof-rated phone like the Pixels will guard against that. If you own the phone for many years then #3 will get you instead. If #3 gets you then you've got the most money out of your phone.

OnePlus 5 and above are rumored to have some waterproofing but without an official rating, who really knows?

Reactions: juanq214

OhioYJ

Feb 25, 2011
I know its not the 6t, but what's the best tablet with root support and good ROM development. It does NOT have to have T-Mobile capability but would like TMobile sim support. I have issues with someone emulators on my 6t so looking to play in tablets

Found this post in the T813 LOS thread. Looks like you might keep an eye on the Tab S5 section. I maybe upgrading my tablets soon as well.

juanq214

Jan 8, 2013
My current phone is Lenovo Zuk Z2 Plus, 4GB 64GB version.

My friend has a OnePlus 6T, 8GB 128GB phone with original screen guard and cover. The phone is still in warranty period and in a very good condition.

I can buy this phone for ₹ 24,000 (~334 USD) from him and my budget is around that.

I'm also a fan of ROM developments, tweaking, and so on. I also found that the development of OnePlus 6T is still there with strong base in XDA.

Please let me know if this deal is a good one or not.

Also please tell if any other phone is there at this range with support in XDA.
Seems like a fair deal. You can also consider a brand new Xiaomi Mi9t Pro at a similar price and with latest Snapdragon chip

Sent from my Redmi K20 using Tapatalk

Badoolo

Oct 6, 2019
So, after using my Samsung S5 Mini for years now it seems to die more and more. Buying a new battery is which was not on stock for years before if about 30€. Also it's getting slower and slower. I am already using crDroid with Android Pie on it, custom kernel settings and tweaks here and there.
I also have a Huawai P8 Lite 2017 here and it's horrible. EMUI, horrible. Also I don't like this company anymore since I've read that they removec the possibility to get free bootloader unlocked codes due to "better user experience". Ah ok ... better for the user to deny this free possibility :good:

So, I would like to buy a new one now. One which is working fine. When the screen is off and I click the "wake up power button" I want the screen to be on in, let's say, less than 1 to 2 seconds like on my S5 Mini.
I don't play on a phone. I use it for reading news in the train and ... for calling. Discord I use too, nothing else. I don't watch movies on it and I also don't listen to music.

Would you recommend the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It's only 89€ here. If not, what other phones with a similar price you recommend?
Important to me is that I can install TWRP and a custom ROM later as I don't like stock roms. Ah, and Root with Magisk would be fine too.

Thank you!

Last edited:

mario24601

Oct 1, 2008
So, after using my Samsung S5 Mini for years now it seems to die more and more. Buying a new battery is which was not on stock for years before if about 30€. Also it's getting slower and slower. I am already using crDroid with Android Pie on it, custom kernel settings and tweaks here and there.
I also have a Huawai P8 Lite 2017 here and it's horrible. EMUI, horrible. Also I don't like this company anymore since I've read that they removec the possibility to get free bootloader unlocked codes due to "better user experience". Ah ok ... better for the user to deny this free possibility :good:

So, I would like to buy a new one now. One which is working fine. When the screen is off and I click the "wake up power button" I want the screen to be on in, let's say, less than 1 to 2 seconds like on my S5 Mini.
I don't play on a phone. I use it for reading news in the train and ... for calling. Discord I use too, nothing else. I don't watch movies on it and I also don't listen to music.

Would you recommend the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It's only 89€ here. If not, what other phones with a similar price you recommend?
Important to me is that I can install TWRP and a custom ROM later as I don't like stock roms. Ah, and Root with Magisk would be fine too.

Thank you!
If want older device, try S7. Good rom community and good performance. If want new, get OnePlus 6. I have both and they are both great.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

Badoolo

Oct 6, 2019
Sorry, both way too expensive. I don't need high end hardware.
Just wanted to know about the Xiaomi if it's recommended, not other phones.

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Sorry, both way too expensive. I don't need high end hardware.
Just wanted to know about the Xiaomi if it's recommended, not other phones.

Well, my Samsung S6 from 2015 has almost the same specs, just the screen a bit smaller. The phone is adequate, given if you buy the 3gb of ram version. The ones with just 2gb of ram, you are going to have problem with the memory. The S7, as suggested in the previous post, is the flagship from 2016. Still supported by Samsung. If you want something more inclined towards battery, you could go with the Samsung M20 or M30. They have been recently launched in India, for some moderate prices. Word of advice, buy something more expensive than 90$ and popular. That would ensure the device is getting updates from the mother company and custom rom from the community. Take my s6 for example. Samsung supported it from lollipop (Android 5.0) till Nougat (Android 7.0). The community supported it till Pie (Android 9.0). I can bet some day i will be running Android 10.

Badoolo

Oct 6, 2019
What about the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It has Android 9.0 when buying already.

The Xiaomi Redmi 7 (the one with 32 GB of memory) even has 3 GB of RAM instead of 2 like the 7A and is also has Android 9.0.

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
What about the Xiaomi Redmi 7A? It has Android 9.0 when buying already.

Have you considered all your alternatives ? I mean the phone is somewhat good. It kind of has some lower specs for 2019. I sometime struggle with my s6, with the same specifications. Struggle meaning i cant run one social app, one news app and youtube at the same time without freezing.

Badoolo

Oct 6, 2019
Have you considered all your alternatives ? I mean the phone is somewhat good. It kind of has some lower specs for 2019. I sometime struggle with my s6, with the same specifications. Struggle meaning i cant run one social app, one news app and youtube at the same time without freezing.

If it's faster than my old Samsung S5 Mini which takes 1+ second for unlocking the screen everything is fine. Opening the Discord app takes 6 to 7 seconds, opening the phone app 2 seconds etc.

Last edited:

Nick87298

Oct 16, 2019
Gamer Phone Advice

Hello i would like to know which of the following is the best in your opinion:

1- Honor View 20
2- Honor Mate 20
3- Pocophone F1
4- Honor Play

Btw if you have some other options feel free to tell me (budget not more than 350euro)

Cheers

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
Tablet or Phone with MHL or HDMI

Hi there,
I'm looking for a device with at least Android 8.1 that has a physical Video output like MHL or HDMI.
It don't need to play games, but it should play HD videos without lag.

Any guesses?
Cheers

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Hi there,
I'm looking for a device with at least Android 8.1 that has a physical Video output like MHL or HDMI.
It don't need to play games, but it should play HD videos without lag.

Any guesses?
Cheers

Well, since you didn't add any preference for price range, for how new a device should be, I suggest the Samsung S5. It has MHL support, Android 9 custom rom.

Reactions: snoerme

Frustrated_modder85

Oct 19, 2019
I have the sms727vl j7 sky pro, just cant get it rooted. Im a galaxy fan but i really want to get into modding, gaining SU access and just seeing where it leads. Im on a budget though so,where would i start when looking for a low cost, with the best modifacation platforms. Kinda wanna split the difference since im stil learning. Thanx 4 the help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)