FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][2.2+] Velis auto brightness 4.65.231

789 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,021
 
By velis74, Senior Member on 28th September 2012, 10:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th June 2019, 03:31 PM |#2111  
velis74's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Radovljica
Thanks Meter: 1,021
 
More
Guys,

I'm seriously thinking of EOL-ing the app: it is practically impossible to make is stay alive any more, use base dropped to 13.000 total, and I am having a really hard time finding time to tweak it any more. See the first issue above for explanation on my drop in motivation: the app is just too low-level for Google / phone manufacturers to leave alone.

Over the years I have considered several methods for keeping the app alive, but I seriously doubt anything would work with any degree of reliability because battery life is simply so imperative that the OS doesn't leave anything running for a noticeable period of time. To give it some perspective: I was also considering PUSH messages... Nuts, to say the least.

Anyway, here's the thing: I invested a lot of time into this and would hate for it to go to waste just like that. So this post gets to be a couple of lines longer than it would otherwise have been.

If there's someone serious willing to give it a go, I would be willing to open source the app, help & support the developer(s) & continue publishing the app. If not, I'll edit the OP in a week or so & remove the app from play store.

Edit: sorry, the 400 figure was too low, must have been low on caffeine. It's actually 13.000.

What say you?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to velis74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift velis74 Ad-Free
26th June 2019, 05:55 PM |#2112  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by velis74

Guys,

I'm seriously thinking of EOL-ing the app: it is practically impossible to make is stay alive any more, use base dropped to 13.000 total, and I am having a really hard time finding time to tweak it any more. See the first issue above for explanation on my drop in motivation: the app is just too low-level for Google / phone manufacturers to leave alone.

Over the years I have considered several methods for keeping the app alive, but I seriously doubt anything would work with any degree of reliability because battery life is simply so imperative that the OS doesn't leave anything running for a noticeable period of time. To give it some perspective: I was also considering PUSH messages... Nuts, to say the least.

Anyway, here's the thing: I invested a lot of time into this and would hate for it to go to waste just like that. So this post gets to be a couple of lines longer than it would otherwise have been.

If there's someone serious willing to give it a go, I would be willing to open source the app, help & support the developer(s) & continue publishing the app. If not, I'll edit the OP in a week or so & remove the app from play store.

Edit: sorry, the 400 figure was too low, must have been low on caffeine. It's actually 13.000.

What say you?

It says alive fine for me. Using AICP Pie. I don't think I set it to turn off battery optimization but I would have to check.

Edit: The issue I do seem to have, if it has anything to do with this app (instead of magisk or some other issue) is that I set up a tasker command to open the app 5 minutes (if I push it earlier it sometimes freezes - I didn't do tests of all time delays) after boot because it seems to cause phone to freeze if I don't. Maybe it's because my phone is opening too many apps? Not sure, but if I wait for everything else to open prior to open this app, it opens fine and functions fine and stays open.
25th August 2019, 04:08 PM |#2113  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 84
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by velis74

Guys,

I'm seriously thinking of EOL-ing the app: it is practically impossible to make is stay alive any more, use base dropped to 13.000 total, and I am having a really hard time finding time to tweak it any more. See the first issue above for explanation on my drop in motivation: the app is just too low-level for Google / phone manufacturers to leave alone.

Over the years I have considered several methods for keeping the app alive, but I seriously doubt anything would work with any degree of reliability because battery life is simply so imperative that the OS doesn't leave anything running for a noticeable period of time. To give it some perspective: I was also considering PUSH messages... Nuts, to say the least.

Anyway, here's the thing: I invested a lot of time into this and would hate for it to go to waste just like that. So this post gets to be a couple of lines longer than it would otherwise have been.

If there's someone serious willing to give it a go, I would be willing to open source the app, help & support the developer(s) & continue publishing the app. If not, I'll edit the OP in a week or so & remove the app from play store.

Edit: sorry, the 400 figure was too low, must have been low on caffeine. It's actually 13.000.

What say you?

Sir someone referred this app in lux thread and just got to know of this app. I tested it just now. It is an excellent app. I am on OnePlus 7 Android Q and undoubtedly it works extremely well. Better than stock. I have white listed it for non optimising by Android. No killing and works all fine.

I would say not to let go so much effort in vain. It is truly phenomenal app. Kindly consider to keep developing it in your free time as hobby. Not regular updates though like nightly but yes updates every few months will be appreciated. Hope you don't give it up in despair.

Wish best of luck in your life and hope we have the spirit to fight until death. Please develop it as hobby if you could. Best wishes and Best Regards
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KapilNagpal01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KapilNagpal01 Ad-Free
30th August 2019, 04:17 AM |#2114  
Neejay's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 140
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilNagpal01

Sir someone referred this app in lux thread and just got to know of this app. I tested it just now. It is an excellent app. I am on OnePlus 7 Android Q and undoubtedly it works extremely well. Better than stock. I have white listed it for non optimising by Android. No killing and works all fine.

I would say not to let go so much effort in vain. It is truly phenomenal app. Kindly consider to keep developing it in your free time as hobby. Not regular updates though like nightly but yes updates every few months will be appreciated. Hope you don't give it up in despair.

Wish best of luck in your life and hope we have the spirit to fight until death. Please develop it as hobby if you could. Best wishes and Best Regards

I agree. At this point, it might as well be open sourced, and eventually (hopefully) someone will give it an honest shot at continuing it.

I'd prefer rare updates to EOL/closed sourced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neejay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Neejay Ad-Free
5th September 2019, 04:53 PM |#2115  
Senior Member
Flag France
Thanks Meter: 106
 
Donate to Me
More
Landed here while searching for a better brightness control on my mate 20 (non-pro)
Once excluded from huawei's "app launch" control and prevented from being "optimized", works flawlessly on my mate 20
Excellent control, best of its class
Easy on system ressource, allows a really fine control over brightness; helps me save a significant amount of power
I'm no dev so can't help here but would be a waste if EOL-ed
If opensourced, I do hope it doen't get ruined by some greedy dev ..
Thanks a lot for this genious piece of software
Wish best of luck in your life too
The Following User Says Thank You to dawabz94 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dawabz94 Ad-Free
5th September 2019, 05:56 PM |#2116  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk2000

It says alive fine for me. Using AICP Pie. I don't think I set it to turn off battery optimization but I would have to check.

Edit: The issue I do seem to have, if it has anything to do with this app (instead of magisk or some other issue) is that I set up a tasker command to open the app 5 minutes (if I push it earlier it sometimes freezes - I didn't do tests of all time delays) after boot because it seems to cause phone to freeze if I don't. Maybe it's because my phone is opening too many apps? Not sure, but if I wait for everything else to open prior to open this app, it opens fine and functions fine and stays open.

These problems all went away for me over the last few months. Must have been a rom side issue. This app works without issue.
5th September 2019, 08:01 PM |#2117  
kam333's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 430
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by velis74

Guys,

I'm seriously thinking of EOL-ing the app: it is practically impossible to make is stay alive any more, use base dropped to 13.000 total, and I am having a really hard time finding time to tweak it any more. See the first issue above for explanation on my drop in motivation: the app is just too low-level for Google / phone manufacturers to leave alone.

Over the years I have considered several methods for keeping the app alive, but I seriously doubt anything would work with any degree of reliability because battery life is simply so imperative that the OS doesn't leave anything running for a noticeable period of time. To give it some perspective: I was also considering PUSH messages... Nuts, to say the least.

Anyway, here's the thing: I invested a lot of time into this and would hate for it to go to waste just like that. So this post gets to be a couple of lines longer than it would otherwise have been.

If there's someone serious willing to give it a go, I would be willing to open source the app, help & support the developer(s) & continue publishing the app. If not, I'll edit the OP in a week or so & remove the app from play store.

Edit: sorry, the 400 figure was too low, must have been low on caffeine. It's actually 13.000.

What say you?

Haven't had any issues with this app, it works flawlessly, add on the tasker integration and I'm able to get the right brightness day & night.

If you updated the UI and re-released it, I would buy again!Hope you find a solution.
Thanks
19th October 2019, 06:54 AM |#2118  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 799
 
Donate to Me
More
One of the best apps that I have used offlate. I am just addicted to it now. The development certainly needs to continue and if possible the future updates could add profile export ans restore feature. No need for frequent updates, as it is almost bug free now. Would just wish for Android 10 support.
19th October 2019, 08:44 AM |#2119  
velis74's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Radovljica
Thanks Meter: 1,021
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhi

One of the best apps that I have used offlate. I am just addicted to it now. The development certainly needs to continue and if possible the future updates could add profile export ans restore feature. No need for frequent updates, as it is almost bug free now. Would just wish for Android 10 support.

Yeah, decided to give it anbother go. Not sure when I will find the time, though. Need to fix wizard which took some damage when I was doing support for the new Androids. Hopefully there will be something before THIS new year.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to velis74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift velis74 Ad-Free
19th October 2019, 09:07 AM |#2120  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by velis74

Yeah, decided to give it anbother go.

THANK YOU

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 3S przy użyciu Tapatalka
23rd October 2019, 11:33 PM |#2121  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I have a samsung galaxy j7 prime and it has no ambient light sensor on my phone so I use the front facing camera the problem is instead of the screen brightening when it is bright out the screen dims and when it is dark or low light the screen brightens and it inhibits me from using my phone in the day when in outside as I cant see the screen due to the app diming it under bright light this must be fixed bc that's not how auto brightness supposed to work I am in the beta aswell
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, brightness, light, screen

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes