Remove All Ads from XDA

How To Turn Your Old Android Into A Free Home Phone

2,740 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,253

Post Reply Email Thread
24th November 2014, 10:01 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have not used the phone a lot of ministry, I want to be inflicted home phone, it must be a very good idea, it should be achievable.
28th March 2016, 02:56 AM |#52  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
I managed to repurpose an old HTC Evo for my mom in law who's elderly. She won't get a cell phone cause she doesn't want the bill. I got it from a cousin who fell on hard times and couldn't pay the bill. Sprint locked up the ESN on it. I wiped it, rooted it, then flashed a great ROM that turned it into a media player. (no phone serviceability, just wifi. It's not debloated, it's stripped!)
She gets wifi, facebook, Walkman player, MX Player, a flashlight, calculator, a good camera/camcorder w/ gallery, and a basic browser. She keeps family pics to show her friends! Good stuff!
28th March 2016, 05:23 PM |#53  
I have been thinking of utilizing my Google Voice number at home as a landline, because every time I call the wife, her cell is always dead and she forgot to charge it.
I don't just want to utilize an old phone and let it sit in one room of the house when the family could be upstairs or down and will not be able to hear it.

I came up with this possible solution:
Purchase a Bluetooth Cordless Phone system, ie: random example and connect the phone (hangouts dialer) to the base unit it via Bluetooth.
For those who don't know how Bluetooth Cordless Phones work with cell phones, check this VIDEO out.

I would place the extra handset units around the house, allowing my family to answer the Google Voice call from any room.

Possible Issues:
  • Hangouts/Google Voice Bluetooth connect issues and hands-free compatibility
  • Price for Bluetooth Cordless Phone
  • Range of each headset to the base unit
  • Range/Quality of each headset units to their respective bases
28th March 2016, 06:58 PM |#54  
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2NR

I came up with this possible solution:
Purchase a Bluetooth Cordless Phone system, ie: random example and connect the phone (hangouts dialer) to the base unit it via Bluetooth.
For those who don't know how Bluetooth Cordless Phones work with cell phones, check this VIDEO out.

I would place the extra handset units around the house, allowing my family to answer the Google Voice call from any room.

Your solution sounds needlessly complex. If you're going to buy a cordless phone system anyway and place its extra handsets around the house, the most efficient way to utilize Google Voice is simply to buy an Obihai OBi200 device (which frequently goes on sale for $30). It has an ethernet port and a standard RJ45 landline port. You just plug it into your router's spare ethernet port, plug the base unit of the cordless phone system into the OBi200 phone port, configure up to 2 "lines" of Google Voice accounts, and voila! Instant IP phone. Very simple and no added latency of a wifi connection. It also has a USB port for a USB wireless interface if you need to place the OBi200 in a different location than the router.

That solution doesn't repurpose an old smartphone, but is really the best way to go if you don't plan to use smartphones as handsets.
The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GnatGoSplat Ad-Free
28th March 2016, 07:09 PM |#55  
Flag Wellston
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Using old cellphone to replace current landline
I have a sprint galaxy S5 version 5.0 and
an inactive Optimus S and am paying att $36/m
For a landline, local calls only.
Can I still use the Optimus S to get rid of the
landline?
Raylon
29th March 2016, 07:32 PM |#56  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylonr

I have a sprint galaxy S5 version 5.0 and
an inactive Optimus S and am paying att $36/m
For a landline, local calls only.
Can I still use the Optimus S to get rid of the
landline?
Raylon

Yes, you can. And it seems that the OP is a bit dated now as all of this can be done natively through hangouts now.

1) Install Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer on your Optimus S
2) Ensure you have a valid google voice number associated with your Google account (set one up if you don't)
3) Open the Hangouts app on your phone and go to Settings -> [email protected].
4) Check the box for "Incoming Phone Calls" under the Google Voice section.

Now you can cancel your landline and give your google voice number out instead. If someone calls your google voice number, your Optimus S will ring (and if you do the same setup on your Galaxy S5, both phones will ring). To make outgoing calls, open the Hangouts app and click the tab for the dialer (assuming you've installed the Hangouts Dialer as well).
1st April 2016, 03:01 PM |#57  
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Hangouts app would seem a much better solution than the OP, but when I tried it a few months ago, my phone would either not ring at all, or ring delayed 5 or up to 15-minutes which made it pretty useless for incoming calls. I even made sure to set Wifi always on. Is there any way to make incoming calls ring more reliably?
5th April 2016, 11:42 PM |#58  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat

Hangouts app would seem a much better solution than the OP, but when I tried it a few months ago, my phone would either not ring at all, or ring delayed 5 or up to 15-minutes which made it pretty useless for incoming calls. I even made sure to set Wifi always on. Is there any way to make incoming calls ring more reliably?

I've never had this issue -- all my devices rings within 3 seconds of each other.

One thing you could try is to login to your Google Voice account on a computer, go to Settings, and make sure "Google Chat" is checked under the phones tab (this setting pre-dated Hangouts). I believe the option in the Hangouts App (step #4 in my post above) on your phone is supposed to enable the same setting on the Google Server side but you never know.

The only other thing I can think of is if you have some type of Battery Saving app running on your phone which could potentially slow this down. E.g. Greenify or something else that hibernates services.
24th October 2019, 06:16 AM |#59  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Does this work in Canada. When go to Google . com/ Voice, Google takes me to Hangout support page.
26th October 2019, 01:43 AM |#60  
Flag Canton, Ga
Thanks Meter: 531

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaplizard

Does this work in Canada. When go to Google . com/ Voice, Google takes me to Hangout support page.

Search for Google Voice and see what happens. I'm not sure if Voice is supported in Canada.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)