FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th October 2019, 08:24 AM |#11811  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 367
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi0

... I am fed up with Google killing off adoptable storage.

Can you clarify this please?

As far as I was aware, android has supported adoptable storage natively in each version since M. (That was a bit buggy, but pretty much bug free since N).

I am unaware of Google 'killing it off' at all, although some OEMs like Samsung have curiously disabled it in their offerings. Apparently Samsung have enabled it in P. PW.
The Following User Says Thank You to pndwal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pndwal Ad-Free
27th October 2019, 08:40 AM |#11812  
Senior Member
Flag essex lad
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pndwal

Can you clarify this please?

As far as I was aware, android has supported adoptable storage natively in each version since M. (That was a bit buggy, but pretty much bug free since N).

I am unaware of Google 'killing it off' at all, although some OEMs like Samsung have curiously disabled it in their offerings. Apparently Samsung have enabled it in P. PW.

Well what I mean is that from android 7 I think adoptable storage has almost gone and I thought it was Google?. All the best tablets I know of Huawei mediapad m5, and I samsung galaxy tab 4 etc don't have this feature anymore and yet they have a memory card slot! Or I am getting this wrong? My question is which current crop of tablets have adoptable storage?
The Following User Says Thank You to marvi0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marvi0 Ad-Free
27th October 2019, 05:11 PM |#11813  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 367
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi0

Well what I mean is that from android 7 I think adoptable storage has almost gone and I thought it was Google?. All the best tablets I know of Huawei mediapad m5, and I samsung galaxy tab 4 etc don't have this feature anymore and yet they have a memory card slot! Or I am getting this wrong? My question is which current crop of tablets have adoptable storage?

Well actually, AS was just getting good with 7 (N) as I mentioned! And Google continue to improve it. - for example, FBE (file based encryption) now works with AS on android 9 (only FDE before that).
https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable

However, android is highly customisable, and OEMs often strip out (disable) features like AS for their own reasons. Eg, Samsung removed AS, claiming "it can be confusing and lead to a bad experience." It seems Samsung has only come to the party with later 9.0 (P) versions. Sony was similarly slow to adopt (excuse pun 😀), stating "This feature was removed in Android 6.0 because it impacted software encoding and quality." Other OEMs have done the same.

So it seems to me it's the OEMs who have been misguided in nobbling this feature, while Google, to be fair, seems to have seen a need to provide this native solution (particularly for low end device users) to circumvent users resorting to rooting in order to use the likes of Link2SD / Apps2SD.

I think, however, that tablets are more likely to have AS enabled (as Google intended) now than in the past as Samsung and other OEMs are evidently catching up with user sentiment and changing their stance, and Google actually still supports & improves it. You'll need to check each OEM's stance however. (Apple's may all be apple's, but we've got lollipops, nougats, oreos, pies, as well as a few pears and lemons...) PW
29th October 2019, 08:41 PM |#11814  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Looking for recommendations for a sub $120 device. Used is fine.

I'm currently on a ZTE Z719DL which is absolutely awful in many ways. This is a free government subsidized phone for low income citizens and while I'm grateful I have a phone at all, it really is plauged with issues. The biggest of which are the size (I have trouble handling large devices which causes pain in my hands), speed (lack there of), touch screen problems and no community around it. Let me be clear, I'm not looking for a blazing fast top of the line phone (by today's standards) but this pos can't even play 480p video smoothly. My older Nexus 5 would be nearly perfect for my use case, aside from not having an SD slot, but sadly it suffers from the "calls aren't detected on LTE/Wifi" issue which makes it not worth fixing (loose usb port, dead battery and sticking power button). Damned shame.

So what do I "need" from a phone? In order from most to least important:
  • Easily replaceable battery. I'm not shy to dismantling phones but some are intentionally difficult to service.
  • No bigger than 5 inches / ~127mm.
  • Works on TMobile (What tracphone uses in my state). Unlocked preferable.
  • Has root/roms available.
  • Similar (or better) performance to the Nexus 5.
  • NOT OLED (This is proving almost impossible these days).
  • SD card support. This is not crucial but would be nice.
  • OIS would be a nice thing to have due to my shakey hands. Not crucial though as I rarely take photos.

Some devices that I have looked at that are a no go: Google Pixel normal + XL (battery is nigh impossible to replace without damaging the display), OnePlus 3T (difficult battery replacement also prone to screen damage and from what I've seen on XDA, is a major pain to swap roms on), pretty much all Samsung devices are massive these days with AMOLED displays and Nexus 5 obviously since I won't know if it suffers from the "no calls recieved" issue until after having it in hand.

If you're wondering as to why not OLED, because most devices in this price range are 4+ years and are going to have noticeable screen burn. Not only that, I really dislike the over staturation that most manufacturers emphasize. Looking on ebay, there are so many devices with either a pink screen or tons of notification icons burned in. Hell, there were some phones that had the boot logo burned in (how do you even manage that?).

Thanks for any and all recommendations!
29th October 2019, 09:36 PM |#11815  
CamoGeko's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,052
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorphoneguy

Looking for recommendations for a sub $120 device. Used is fine.

I'm currently on a ZTE Z719DL which is absolutely awful in many ways. This is a free government subsidized phone for low income citizens and while I'm grateful I have a phone at all, it really is plauged with issues. The biggest of which are the size (I have trouble handling large devices which causes pain in my hands), speed (lack there of), touch screen problems and no community around it. Let me be clear, I'm not looking for a blazing fast top of the line phone (by today's standards) but this pos can't even play 480p video smoothly. My older Nexus 5 would be nearly perfect for my use case, aside from not having an SD slot, but sadly it suffers from the "calls aren't detected on LTE/Wifi" issue which makes it not worth fixing (loose usb port, dead battery and sticking power button). Damned shame.

So what do I "need" from a phone? In order from most to least important:

  • Easily replaceable battery. I'm not shy to dismantling phones but some are intentionally difficult to service.
  • No bigger than 5 inches / ~127mm.
  • Works on TMobile (What tracphone uses in my state). Unlocked preferable.
  • Has root/roms available.
  • Similar (or better) performance to the Nexus 5.
  • NOT OLED (This is proving almost impossible these days).
  • SD card support. This is not crucial but would be nice.
  • OIS would be a nice thing to have due to my shakey hands. Not crucial though as I rarely take photos.

Some devices that I have looked at that are a no go: Google Pixel normal + XL (battery is nigh impossible to replace without damaging the display), OnePlus 3T (difficult battery replacement also prone to screen damage and from what I've seen on XDA, is a major pain to swap roms on), pretty much all Samsung devices are massive these days with AMOLED displays and Nexus 5 obviously since I won't know if it suffers from the "no calls recieved" issue until after having it in hand.

If you're wondering as to why not OLED, because most devices in this price range are 4+ years and are going to have noticeable screen burn. Not only that, I really dislike the over staturation that most manufacturers emphasize. Looking on ebay, there are so many devices with either a pink screen or tons of notification icons burned in. Hell, there were some phones that had the boot logo burned in (how do you even manage that?).

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

OnePlus X would be my suggestion (even though the battery isnt easily replaceable and it has AMOLED, albeit a very good panel). I used it perfectly well for 3 years non-stop and it has no burn in whatsoever, plus the battery life has remained decent!! Also there are still a few ROMs about for it, so you should be all good to flash Pie or whatever you want.

Honestly, your criteria sounds more like you giving a challenge to yourself rather than anything thats actually readily available on the market.

I would also say, some of those requirements automatically mean that the price will have to go up at least to $200 or something. If I was you I'd just save up more so you can actually get what you want!
30th October 2019, 01:21 AM |#11816  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 367
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi0

Well what I mean is that from android 7 I think adoptable storage has almost gone and I thought it was Google?. All the best tablets I know of Huawei mediapad m5, and I samsung galaxy tab 4 etc don't have this feature anymore and yet they have a memory card slot! Or I am getting this wrong? My question is which current crop of tablets have adoptable storage?

Sorry last post was more on Google's Adoptable Storage implementation than on recommendations, but I did highlight the fact that some OEMS, like Samsung and Sony (also Huawei), have highly customised versions of android with the downside that some Google features, like AS, are often missing (and missed), even if they do offer some unique features of their own. (Google is not at fault here).

For these reasons I suggest looking at manufacturers who offer a fairly pure Android experience. Those offering 'Android One' for example. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

All our family's Lenovo tablets have had AS working beautifully, and I believe you'll have no problem here with their later crops. Their tablets are robust, bright screens, good volume etc, and they have some very cheap offerings. I recommend you avoid their low end range as they have been pretty sluggish even if otherwise good value.

Further reference:

OEMs offering Android One phones:
Nokia
Motorola (owned by Lenovo)
Xiaomi
LG
Sharp
Mara
BQ

Others offering stock Android:
Google (pixel)
ZTE
Asus

(I know nothing about the tablets offered by the OEMs listed)

Hope it helps, PW
30th October 2019, 05:34 PM |#11817  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
I would like recomendations for a smartphone with these features:

-Must have good battery backup, at least 4000 mah
-Amoled display
-Mid range Snapdragon processor
-Less than 260 dlls

Thanks
4th November 2019, 07:58 AM |#11818  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Please recommend me a tablet with the below features:

-Android OS
-Rootable or something that can have its bloatware removed.
-Durable for babies or cases available that makes them durable for babies.
-Case available that allows you to stand the tablet up on a table horizontally.
-I'm new to parenting, so if there is other baby/kid stuff I should be considering, please add that to the list.
-Cheap is ideal but not a requirement. I have plenty of money, I just feel spending it on a tablet for a baby is a waste, but again, new to parenting, so maybe I'm wrong.

I was going to purchase the Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) with 32GB of storage as it seemed to meet all of the above requirements, but I couldn't find a case that was durable and also allowed the tablet to be propped up on a table. If anybody knows of a universal case for the Nexus 7, then that'll work too.

Thanks for any suggestions.
4th November 2019, 06:40 PM |#11819  
Senior Member
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Hey guys!

So, I'm currently looking for a new device as I'm not satisfied with my Huawei P20 Lite. Security patches get pushed out way too slow, EMUI is a hassle and Android Q availability is questionable - plus, Dev support on the forums has pretty much died for this phone as Huawei is making it increasingly hard to unlock the phones' bootloaders.

What I'm looking for specifically:
  • Android 9 or 10 (as close to stock as possible)
  • 6.4"+ screen
  • Adequate Dev Support on XDA
  • Pref. MicroSD Support
  • Pref. Headphone Jack
  • Pref. Wireless Charging Support
  • Price should be around 400-500USD max

The "pref." points aren't a must, but would be nice to have.
I'm not a newcomer to smartphones in general, Android or XDA, but I have lost overview in the middle class segment as it's way too crowded with great options.
I've been looking at Samsungs' Galaxy A70, Nokias' 8.1 as well as Xiaomis' Mi 9, of which the Mi 9 seemingly has the best specs - I'm not sure about Xiaomi though, as I've never used one of their phones.

Some enlightenment, reviews and maybe some more options would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
4th November 2019, 09:37 PM |#11820  
CamoGeko's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,052
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -WP7User-

Hey guys!

So, I'm currently looking for a new device as I'm not satisfied with my Huawei P20 Lite. Security patches get pushed out way too slow, EMUI is a hassle and Android Q availability is questionable - plus, Dev support on the forums has pretty much died for this phone as Huawei is making it increasingly hard to unlock the phones' bootloaders.

What I'm looking for specifically:

  • Android 9 or 10 (as close to stock as possible)
  • 6.4"+ screen
  • Adequate Dev Support on XDA
  • Pref. MicroSD Support
  • Pref. Headphone Jack
  • Pref. Wireless Charging Support
  • Price should be around 400-500USD max

The "pref." points aren't a must, but would be nice to have.
I'm not a newcomer to smartphones in general, Android or XDA, but I have lost overview in the middle class segment as it's way too crowded with great options.
I've been looking at Samsungs' Galaxy A70, Nokias' 8.1 as well as Xiaomis' Mi 9, of which the Mi 9 seemingly has the best specs - I'm not sure about Xiaomi though, as I've never used one of their phones.

Some enlightenment, reviews and maybe some more options would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Might be an easy one but ... Have you looked at OnePlus yet??

I think you'd be pretty happy with one of their devices.
4th November 2019, 10:47 PM |#11821  
Senior Member
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Might be an easy one but ... Have you looked at OnePlus yet??

I think you'd be pretty happy with one of their devices.

Those are quite expensive in Switzerland, unfortunately. I've been sticking to A70, Mi 9T and the likes in terms of pricing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes