Looking for recommendations for a sub $120 device. Used is fine.
I'm currently on a ZTE Z719DL which is absolutely awful in many ways. This is a free government subsidized phone for low income citizens and while I'm grateful I have a phone at all, it really is plauged with issues. The biggest of which are the size (I have trouble handling large devices which causes pain in my hands), speed (lack there of), touch screen problems and no community around it. Let me be clear, I'm not looking for a blazing fast top of the line phone (by today's standards) but this pos can't even play 480p video smoothly. My older Nexus 5 would be nearly perfect for my use case, aside from not having an SD slot, but sadly it suffers from the "calls aren't detected on LTE/Wifi" issue which makes it not worth fixing (loose usb port, dead battery and sticking power button). Damned shame.
So what do I "need" from a phone? In order from most to least important
- Easily replaceable battery. I'm not shy to dismantling phones but some are intentionally difficult to service.
- No bigger than 5 inches / ~127mm.
- Works on TMobile (What tracphone uses in my state). Unlocked preferable.
- Has root/roms available.
- Similar (or better) performance to the Nexus 5.
- NOT OLED (This is proving almost impossible these days).
- SD card support. This is not crucial but would be nice.
- OIS would be a nice thing to have due to my shakey hands. Not crucial though as I rarely take photos.
Some devices that I have looked at that are a no go: Google Pixel normal + XL (battery is nigh impossible to replace without damaging the display), OnePlus 3T (difficult battery replacement also prone to screen damage and from what I've seen on XDA, is a major pain to swap roms on), pretty much all Samsung devices are massive these days with AMOLED displays and Nexus 5 obviously since I won't know if it suffers from the "no calls recieved" issue until after having it in hand.
If you're wondering as to why not OLED, because most devices in this price range are 4+ years and are going to have noticeable screen burn. Not only that, I really dislike the over staturation that most manufacturers emphasize. Looking on ebay, there are so many devices with either a pink screen or tons of notification icons burned in. Hell, there were some phones that had the boot logo burned in (how do you even manage that?).
Thanks for any and all recommendations!