Hidden WindowsApps folder

1,289 posts
Thanks Meter: 899

By The-Droidster, Senior Member on 27th December 2012, 08:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th December 2012, 06:52 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 901

More
After-action report: OK so after nuking the ZuneMusic folder, I made a new "Test" user. On the Start Screen (which I never use) I get IE, Store, File Explorer, and Desktop. This mirrored what I had on my main acct, so seems pretty normal. I then went and install the free MS Solitaire from Win Store. Works. I'll try nuking the rest of the Bing/Zune/Xbox crap and see what happens. (Yes, I backed up.)

AAR 2: OK I went and delete a bunch more stuff, including MS Solitaire folder I just installed. Went back out to the Start Screen and clicked on Solitaire tile. It went into a blank screen and bounced back out to the Start Screen. Right-click, Uninstall, and tile gone. No problemo. Went into Store again and install MS Mahjong. Works again.

Seems pretty cut-and-dried.
The Following User Says Thank You to e.mote For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift e.mote Ad-Free
31st December 2012, 04:45 AM |#12  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,947

More
Ah cool, thanks for testing!
4th January 2013, 03:04 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Ah cool, thanks for testing!

hi,

syntax error for me

Microsoft Windows [Versione 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. Tutti i diritti riservati.

C:\windows\system32>takeown /f "c:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /r /d y
ERRORE: Sintassi non valida. Il valore 'y' non è consentito per l'opzione '/d'.
Digitare "TAKEOWN /?" per informazioni sull'utilizzo.

C:\windows\system32>

translation : sintax error , y is not allowed for option /d

please help me i have a very small ssd...
4th January 2013, 08:45 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 901

More
It's a localization error. /r recurses on all subdirectories, and /d y (y for yes) bypasses the prompt to act on each subdir. My guess that you'd want to use /d s (for sì). Alternatively, you can leave out the /d y, and just confirm for each subdir.

To get parameter description for takeown or any command, enter at the prompt command /? > C:\command.txt, so for takeown, enter takeown /? > C:\takeown.txt. Then peruse the text file with Notepad.

If you have limited space want to minimize Win8 footprint, there are more substantive means to do so. One is to manually set a smaller pagefile with a WMIC command (subject to localization differences):

Set pagefile: wmic pagefileset where name="C:\\pagefile.sys" set initialsize=1024,maximumsize=1024
Check pagefile: wmic pagefileset

Reboot for it to take effect. The above sets pagefile to a fixed 1GB size; you can adjust to taste. You can of course adjust it via the usual GUI route.

Second is to reduce or remove the hibernate file. For a desktop, where power isn't an issue and you don't reboot often, my suggestion is to disable hibernate. When hib is disabled, fast boot is off, and booting will take slightly longer.

Disable hibernate: powercfg -h off

For laptops, you can reduce hibernate file size by up to 50%.

Set hibernate size to 50% of RAM (50% = min): powercfg -h -size 50

Personally, I also removed all the "reserved" partitions, and handle my own backup/restore with 3rd-party tools. For a tablet with SSD, this can recoup substantial space. But it's more involved, and best done during a fresh install.
4th January 2013, 09:18 PM |#15  

More
Thanks very much I 'll try your tips and I 'll tell you.
I just reduced hibernate file , I can't touch recovery partition because I have a tablet that does not boot from external usb, you understand. Therefore I need a big pagefile, I have only 2 gb ram ...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2
5th January 2013, 11:53 AM |#16  

More
Great, it worked!

I want to add, after the first two steps, you can delete-modify every single folder via explorer . No need to use command line
Thanks
Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to gaetanolip For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gaetanolip Ad-Free
27th October 2019, 10:59 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
dadad
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.mote

Here's one way using the commandline:

Press Win-X, run "Command Prompt Admin". Enter the colored text commands into the CMD console (copy-paste if you're a CLI newbie):

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f "c:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /r /d y (take ownership of folder)

C:\Windows\system32>icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant administrators:f /t (give yourself full access rights to folder)

Now you can delete stuff in the folder. Let's nuke a Zune folder. I hate those ad-ridden crap anyway.

C:\Windows\system32>cd "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" (change directory to said folder)

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps>dir/a/p (list folder content, pick a subfolder to nuke)

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps>rd /s/q Microsoft.Z<Tab>

CLI trick: Press Tab for filename completion. If more than one file fits the match, successive Tabs will cycle through the names. This shortcut is a lifesaver for CLI peeps. Anyway, so we get Microsoft.ZuneMusic_blahblah. Press Enter to kill ZuneMusic folder. (Yes, it's a dangerous command. Disclaimer of responsibility goes here.)

Suffice it to say, set a restore point beforehand.

---

i type the two first commands but it still says access denied. what should i do?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)