FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.

1,610 Vote(s)
64.02%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.

416 Vote(s)
16.54%
I don't know.

489 Vote(s)
19.44%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,428 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,929

Post Reply Email Thread
1st November 2019, 05:11 AM |#44131  
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

Modern device?

The SM-S767VL/Galaxy J7 came out with Oreo I believe, and Magisk supports Oreo.

The problem isn't an old device, the problem is Samsung and Knox, and not having an S series device that @topjohnwu always tries to add support for.

For me personally, I quit Samsung after the S3 when the news about Knox came out about it being introduced on the S4. Trying to stop me from rooting? I'll find a new OEM.

Yeah, but, I didn't say I didn't have a modern device, I said "if I had a modern device that Magisk was actually an option for rooting". As in, locked bootloader, no flashing patched boot.img and no flashing TWRP. Rooting via flashing isn't an option for me, rooting via an app on android or PC is the only option and none work, lol. A dead fish as far as I'm concerned.

I broke my old phone, it was a quick, cheap, reasonable spec replacement device.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
1st November 2019, 06:08 AM |#44132  
Thanks Meter: 2,428

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

For me personally, I quit Samsung after the S3 when the news about Knox came out about it being introduced on the S4. Trying to stop me from rooting? I'll find a new OEM.

Makes 2 of us though my last Samsung was an Epic 4G. I was going to update to the S4 until a manufacture rep was proudly explaining about the new security features.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
5th November 2019, 06:25 PM |#44133  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 312

More
Not a noob but I'm not quite sure what other forum thread to post this in so here goes...

I use the default Chrome bookmarks widget in list view. Its simple and functional. However, it's odd that after all this time it still doesn't have an option to adjust the transparency so far as I can tell.

Any recommendations or suggestions for accomplishing this or perhaps another app/widget??
6th November 2019, 12:11 AM |#44134  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,031

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhiatt

Not a noob but I'm not quite sure what other forum thread to post this in so here goes...

Its "Noob friendly"not just for noobs.

Quote:

I use the default Chrome bookmarks widget in list view. Its simple and functional. However, it's odd that after all this time it still doesn't have an option to adjust the transparency so far as I can tell.

Any recommendations or suggestions for accomplishing this or perhaps another app/widget??

I do not use any browser bookmark widgets, so do not have a direct answer to your question. However, I do use a very powerful launcher. One of the many many features / properties that you can set on a widget is the transparency. I have not used nor tested this specific feature. Its a paid app. Its called Lightning Launcher. I have been using it for 5+ years. Probably because it has soooo many features, it has a VERY steep learning curve, but I have never looked back. Also, the default setup when you first install it is a pretty bad introduction, and may tempt you to uninstall or not upgrade to the full version.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
6th November 2019, 03:32 AM |#44135  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 312

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

Its "Noob friendly"not just for noobs.

I do not use any browser bookmark widgets, so do not have a direct answer to your question. However, I do use a very powerful launcher. One of the many many features / properties that you can set on a widget is the transparency. I have not used nor tested this specific feature. Its a paid app. Its called Lightning Launcher. I have been using it for 5+ years. Probably because it has soooo many features, it has a VERY steep learning curve, but I have never looked back. Also, the default setup when you first install it is a pretty bad introduction, and may tempt you to uninstall or not upgrade to the full version.

I use Nova Launcher but to be honest I don't think that would make a difference. Even in nova you can adjust the transparency of the app drawer and such within nova but it's not able to override and thus alter the transparency of another widget.
6th November 2019, 04:01 AM |#44136  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,031

More
Quote:

I use Nova Launcher but to be honest I don't think that would make a difference. Even in nova you can adjust the transparency of the app drawer and such within nova but it's not able to override and thus alter the transparency of another widget.

I repeat, this launcher has features beyond any other launcher I have tried; although I have stopped searching now. Including rotation (0-360), resizing outside of the grid (while rotating at the same time) and there is also a transparency setting for the widget on your home page, not just the app draw as well as overlapping etc etc etc.

Which launcher makes all the difference as to what features are available within your launcher. Lightning Launcher is really outside of the normal features expected from a launcher.
6th November 2019, 11:51 PM |#44137  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Where Is The Copy Of Our Deleted Bookmarks, Speed Dials Stored In Our Phones??
Hi Everyone! I recently Rooted my Android phone using Kingo Root because i'm trying to locate the files or folders that contain my deleted Opera Mini and UC Browser Bookmarks, Speed dials, Saved Pages and Opened Tabs after unknowingly pressing Factory Reset - coz the Android Recovery Menu was in Chinese language. I'm using Root Explorer and ES File Explorer apps to do this. I read in this particular Reputable Forum, that when you do a factory reset on your phone, it only wipes data on your internal storage and not your phone's System partition. They say the data is still on the System partition of your phone, unless the data is overwritten by you continuing to use your phone. Interestingly, i found that to be true. I found some of my previously installed apps, data and media.

I checked "/data/data/com.opera.browser/app_opera" and i didn't find anything of course, because this file path is located in the internal storage. Please anyone who knows anything about this, where else can i find my saved bookmarks, speed dials and saved pages on my phone using a File Manager like Root Explorer or just anything else? Please give me the correct File Path and File name or File extension.

I'm really really frustrated and stressed out!! You guys are my last hope!!

I'm using Tecno P5S, Android version 4.2.2....

PS//// I'm a Noob. Not experienced in this area, i'm a Newbie just starting out..... So please, go easy on the Jargons and explanations.....
7th November 2019, 01:24 AM |#44138  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure_88

Hi Everyone! I recently Rooted my Android phone using Kingo Root because i'm trying to locate the files or folders that contain my deleted Opera Mini and UC Browser Bookmarks, Speed dials, Saved Pages and Opened Tabs after unknowingly pressing Factory Reset - coz the Android Recovery Menu was in Chinese language. I'm using Root Explorer and ES File Explorer apps to do this. I read in this particular Reputable Forum, that when you do a factory reset on your phone, it only wipes data on your internal storage and not your phone's System partition. They say the data is still on the System partition of your phone, unless the data is overwritten by you continuing to use your phone. Interestingly, i found that to be true. I found some of my previously installed apps, data and media.

I checked "/data/data/com.opera.browser/app_opera" and i didn't find anything of course, because this file path is located in the internal storage. Please anyone who knows anything about this, where else can i find my saved bookmarks, speed dials and saved pages on my phone using a File Manager like Root Explorer or just anything else? Please give me the correct File Path and File name or File extension.

I'm really really frustrated and stressed out!! You guys are my last hope!!

I'm using Tecno P5S, Android version 4.2.2....

PS//// I'm a Noob. Not experienced in this area, i'm a Newbie just starting out..... So please, go easy on the Jargons and explanations.....

"Built in" apps, like the phone, default browser, ect live on the /system partition. Updates to "built in" apps get placed on the /data partition.

User installed apps live on the /data partition. The data for those apps are usually saved there as well.

Apps might save some user data on the /sdcard and your photos, files and stuff will mostly be on the /sdcard. The /sdcard may be a physical sdcard, or emulated.

With that explanation, when you factory reset, / data gets erased and reset but /sdcard (also called user data) does not. That is probably why some things are still available to you. If there is a directory on the sdcard /android/data/, then the files you are looking for might be in a subdirectory there. Each app has a package name. It looks like a url that is backwards; com.reddit.frontpage. If the apps you want to find data from have a subdirectory, looking there [b]might[\b] find the information you want.

Using an app to recover the wiped data [b]might[\b] work since your android version is older. One that might work is [URL="https://www.wondershare.com/android-data-recovery.html"]dr.fone[\URL]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
7th November 2019, 02:41 AM |#44139  
Thanks Meter: 1,802

More
@ktmom , might disc digger be of help? or is that only for media type files? just wondering.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
7th November 2019, 02:50 AM |#44140  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrocketdog

@ktmom , might disc digger be of help? or is that only for media type files? just wondering.

If I'm not mistaken, disk digger runs on a PC. So you could use it to recover anything you can mount as a drive on the PC. I am not aware of any way to do that with the device's internal storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
7th November 2019, 02:05 PM |#44141  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have a huawei y9 prime 2019 and I'm unable to switch on Google assistant access with voice match any help, the switch is greyed out
BTW I'm a beta tester for Google and play services as some forums said that'll solve it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)