FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th November 2019, 10:47 PM |#11821  
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Might be an easy one but ... Have you looked at OnePlus yet??

I think you'd be pretty happy with one of their devices.

Those are quite expensive in Switzerland, unfortunately. I've been sticking to A70, Mi 9T and the likes in terms of pricing.
9th November 2019, 06:39 PM |#11822  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hi guys,

I need a new phone. My ideal phone:

Great camera
Fast
AOD that works (3rd party notifications - I'm looking at you, Xiaomi)
NO camera bump
Under 200gm

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
10th November 2019, 05:50 PM |#11823  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi!

I'm not a compete tech noob but new to phone privacy and security and would like some recommendation.

I bought a Galaxy s10+ a few weeks ago and after that I started to read up more about phone privacy and security.

After a lot of research I found out this is not the most privacy friendly phone in terms of installing a custom ROM.

I have 3 days left to return the s10 and decide which other phone to choose.

So if i want something 'similar' it would be something like the Oneplus 7 pro but for what I understand that this one is still not really well supported by lineage. Will the Oneplus 6 be a good option?

Thanks!
10th November 2019, 06:40 PM |#11824  
Utopia
Thanks Meter: 68

More
So.....I kind of ****ed up the digitizer on my xperia z1 trying to fix its wi-fi antenna, which had issues once more, so I might be on the market for a new phone. My budget is 250€ max., and I'd like a phone to offer:

A relatively large screen, but not too large (I watch a heap of videos and maybe movies, but I also want to be able to put it in my pocket and walk around/sit somewhere like a normal person; I also like large phones in general), and with as good color quality as it can get.

At least great battery life (I'm not a fan of charging my phone every 12 hours or so, otherwise I'd stick to my current daily driver, an xperia t); I consider the use of my phones quite heavy, since it's 90% video streaming, be it through mobile data, or wi-fi (most common case).

Decent performance (I don't multi-task much, but I do, and I also play a game or 2 in rare occasions)

Preferably a micro sd card slot

As good as possible support on xda both for now and for the future, with custom roms, kernels, other mods etc.

I've had my eyes on the xiaomi pocophone f1, as it's pretty much a flagship but at exactly my budget. Any other tips/recommendations are also welcome.
10th November 2019, 10:15 PM |#11825  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,051

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceJop5843

Hi!

I'm not a compete tech noob but new to phone privacy and security and would like some recommendation.

I bought a Galaxy s10+ a few weeks ago and after that I started to read up more about phone privacy and security.

After a lot of research I found out this is not the most privacy friendly phone in terms of installing a custom ROM.

I have 3 days left to return the s10 and decide which other phone to choose.

So if i want something 'similar' it would be something like the Oneplus 7 pro but for what I understand that this one is still not really well supported by lineage. Will the Oneplus 6 be a good option?

Thanks!

What do you mean when you say privacy and security?

Every Android phone has a very similar level of that, can you expand a little?

My friend bought the OP7 Pro and he loves it. Another friend bought a Pixel 4XL and he loves that.

OP6/6T is likely to have more established development on XDA though since its an older model.

Sent from my OnePlus using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
11th November 2019, 02:46 PM |#11826  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

What do you mean when you say privacy and security?

Every Android phone has a very similar level of that, can you expand a little?

My friend bought the OP7 Pro and he loves it. Another friend bought a Pixel 4XL and he loves that.

OP6/6T is likely to have more established development on XDA though since its an older model.

Sent from my OnePlus using Thebear Blue XDA Labs

Thanks for your reply!

I would like to have a phone with large sensitive high quality screen I will use it mainly for Journalling and personal productivity. This is sensitive personal information so don't want this to be available to anyone but me. I want my phone to be a place so that everything I do, say, watch is private. Did they really make that impossible? Want to limit profile building and keep my activity private: What apps I use, when i use the phone, Browsing, watching media, my journal entries. habit tracking, login to websites, location tracking and so forth. So a phone which is reasonably modifiable so someone like me ( willing to spend time and effort figuring out how to take the right steps to install a custom ROM without ruining the phone and learn more about it after) can install this setup below (basic setup for now), without having to be a developer/phone expert.

Also want to be able to pay using cryptocurrencies without someone knowing what apps I used and when, so my transactions are private.

I have another phone which I can use for just occasional banking to keep that separate. Some banking apps will need proprietary apps and Google play services to work i think? I can turn that one off and just use it when I need it.

Can you explain me how sheltering works? If I shelter my journaling and to do apps will they be safe? So no information can leak?

Will apps like the protonmail app or signal work on a setup like this?

Some people advised me a Pixel 3aXL with Graphene OS
Other advised me a Oneplus 6/6t or 7 pro with Lineage OS

Why and when would I need microG? If i use apps that makes use of the Google Framework Services in order to work?

So as far as I understand some apps will work but wont push notifications?

Lineage OS with MicroG = More convenient and push notifications?
Graphene OS is more private and secure but no push notifications?

I think for my use Lineage OS with MicroG will be sufficient for my "threat" model. Is that correct?

Thanks for helping me out!

Navigation:

- OsmAnd

- Tiny Travel

Security:

- Keepass or bitwarden

- Mullvad VPN

- OrBot

- Net Guard

- Shelter

Browsing:

- Hardened FF Klar?

- Tor Browser

Personal/Productivity

- Joplin

- Orgizly

- Calendar/Etar

Stores:

- F-Droid

- Yalp

Communication:

- Signal

- Protonmail (app if possible)

Media:

- Simple Gallery Pro

- Simple Camera

- Simple Music Player

- NewPipe (YouTube App)

Misc.:

- Simple Keyboard

- DeepL
12th November 2019, 04:30 AM |#11827  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 2,754

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisali

Hi guys,

I need a new phone. My ideal phone:

Great camera
Fast
AOD that works (3rd party notifications - I'm looking at you, Xiaomi)
NO camera bump
Under 200gm

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Don't get me started on Xiaomi. I had a brief affair with them and will never go back. Solid hardware and prices but expect nothing else from them.

I'm not sure what "gm" stands for but you can get used OP6 devices for around 250USD or near-mint condition for around 275-300 USD. It's hard to beat that value right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to gorilla p For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gorilla p Ad-Free
12th November 2019, 06:42 AM |#11828  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla p

Don't get me started on Xiaomi. I had a brief affair with them and will never go back. Solid hardware and prices but expect nothing else from them.

I'm not sure what "gm" stands for but you can get used OP6 devices for around 250USD or near-mint condition for around 275-300 USD. It's hard to beat that value right now.

gm for grams (weight)
The Following User Says Thank You to KapilKhandelwal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KapilKhandelwal Ad-Free
12th November 2019, 09:17 AM |#11829  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 2,754

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilKhandelwal

gm for grams (weight)

Gotcha, the OP6 has a 6.28" screen and weight 177gr.
I was actually doing a bit of research on the specs recently as I'm getting rid of mine soon to trade up for a OP7T
The Following User Says Thank You to gorilla p For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gorilla p Ad-Free
12th November 2019, 09:27 AM |#11830  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla p

Gotcha, the OP6 has a 6.28" screen and weight 177gr.
I was actually doing a bit of research on the specs recently as I'm getting rid of mine soon to trade up for a OP7T

Cool. Now let's hope the one who asked the question reads this 😄
The Following User Says Thank You to KapilKhandelwal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KapilKhandelwal Ad-Free
12th November 2019, 05:18 PM |#11831  

More
hi there, im thinking about to change mi pixel 2xl, the options are Mate 20 pro and Galaxy Note 9, bouth are awesomes phones. I want to choose wisely, the mate wins with his camera but the samsung screen its so great, and i use more the screen than the camera. For me the most important things are by order: camera,battery and screen.
The main reason that im changing from the pixel is the battery and the screen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)