Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
12th November 2019, 03:30 PM |#14121  
Thanks Meter: 2,422

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userus

Hello!
Firstly thank you developers for a great app!

I have just one beginners question... Can I use AdAway to manualy block hidden trackers in installed apps? Like Google Analytics etc...?
If I just add "com.google.android.apps.analytics." to blocklist in adaway, will this do the trick?

Thank you

For any app that makes the call by DNS, yes. If an app has an IP hard coded or other DNS work around, no.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
GuestK00285
12th November 2019, 06:33 PM |#14122  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

For any app that makes the call by DNS, yes. If an app has an IP hard coded or other DNS work around, no.

Thank you for a reply. I am not sure if understand the difference My knowledge is not that great...

So lets take for example this app: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.or...test/#trackers

If I add these lines to blocklist in AdAway, app will not be able to connect to these domains?

- com.appsflyer.
- com.google.android.apps.analytics.
- com.crashlytics.
- com.google.firebase.analytics.
- com.google.android.gms.measurement.
- com.google.tagmanager
- com.google.android.gms.tagmanager
12th November 2019, 06:41 PM |#14123  
Thanks Meter: 2,422

More
Quote:

Thank you for a reply. I am not sure if understand the difference My knowledge is not that great...

So lets take for example this app: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.or...test/#trackers

If I add these lines to blocklist in AdAway, app will not be able to connect to these domains?

- com.appsflyer.
- com.crashlytics.
- com.google.tagmanager

The answer is the same. Provided the app accesses those domains using DNS, then having those domains in the host sources will prevent access.

Apps can work around DNS by using a proxy server, an IP address, or otherwise bundling access into the app. Adaway can not help in that case.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
12th November 2019, 06:43 PM |#14124  
Flag Kathmandu
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Is AdAway not supported in Android 10?
12th November 2019, 06:50 PM |#14125  
Thanks Meter: 1,214

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaturevoidof_form

Is AdAway not supported in Android 10?

Can you please use search (top right) or just scroll back and carefully read posts from e.g. last two days

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote:

- com.appsflyer.
- com.crashlytics.
- com.google.tagmanager

Instead of theoretical discussion, have you simply entered to your blacklist and tried
GuestK00285
12th November 2019, 06:58 PM |#14126  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfg

Instead of theoretical discussion, have you simply entered to your blacklist and tried

I did, but how can I know if its working? Can I see traffic to these domains not happening? :P
How can I check if its working?
12th November 2019, 07:04 PM |#14127  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
Thanks Meter: 8,169

More
Quote:

- com.appsflyer.
- com.crashlytics.
- com.google.tagmanager

Quote:

I did, but how can I know if its working? Can I see traffic to these domains not happening? :P

At the very above post, that's obviously not names of domains but of apk's etc. Instead of putting e.g. "com.crashlytics." into your blacklist insert crashlytics.com etc.
If this crap is not hard-codded by IP address into an application AdAway should be able to handle it (but certainly depending on YOUR block list(s)). Personally, I haven't anything to complain about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
12th November 2019, 07:07 PM |#14128  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Quote:

Just activate the logging function of AdAway, deactivate Private DNS if it is on and open the app for which you block the adresses.
If the adresses doesn't show up in the AdAway log you know it's working.

And as @Oswald Boelcke said you must add the exact urls to AdAways Blocklist. Not apk names.

To find urls i can suggest Androlyzer which can analyses apps and show the used urls from a specific app.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhacke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhacke Ad-Free
GuestK00285
12th November 2019, 07:09 PM |#14129  

More
I will try all that, thank you for help!
12th November 2019, 07:21 PM |#14130  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:

- com.appsflyer.
- com.crashlytics.
- com.google.tagmanager

These are not domains. Adding them to the blacklist won't help.
12th November 2019, 07:22 PM |#14131  
Thanks Meter: 1,214

More
Quote:

As pointed by the other user, you didn't list FQDNs but package names - with AdAway you cannot blacklist/whitelist some apps, only FQDNs (domains)

For AdAway you must have root, hence you can check from the logcat which domains were resolved by DNS and which TCP connections were established while your app is running.
Then add suspicious domains to your AdAway blacklist, restart the phone and test again, and analyze the log again if you still see the ads
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)