FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Modifying android OS original source code

51 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By likenota, Member on 4th May 2013, 07:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Okay so I'm looking to modify the original filesystem code how would I go about this by searching a certain string I've seen on one of the warning dialogs ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
5th May 2013, 02:51 AM |#2  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 656

More
Well if you pulled the aosp codebase then your gonna just have to know where to look, but its pretty easy to find what your looking for
most everything is in frameworks/base and hardware folders

Sent from my Nexus 4 @1.72 GHz on Stock 4.2.2
7th May 2013, 12:33 AM |#3  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 28

More
If you are in *nix and the string is fairly unique, you could try a grep search. At the very least, doing a search like that should narrow down the location of the files you are looking for.
7th May 2013, 01:11 AM |#4  
If you've got the aosp sources then resgrep should sort you out which is a command in the android "build environment" . after running . build/envsetup.sh type "hmm" , this gives you a list of all the "aosp" functions

Code:
Invoke ". build/envsetup.sh" from your shell to add the following functions to your environment:
- lunch:   lunch <product_name>-<build_variant>
- tapas:   tapas [<App1> <App2> ...] [arm|x86|mips] [eng|userdebug|user]
- croot:   Changes directory to the top of the tree.
- m:       Makes from the top of the tree.
- mm:      Builds all of the modules in the current directory.
- mmm:     Builds all of the modules in the supplied directories.
- cgrep:   Greps on all local C/C++ files.
- jgrep:   Greps on all local Java files.
- resgrep: Greps on all local res/*.xml files.
- godir:   Go to the directory containing a file.

Look at the source to view more functions. The complete list is:
addcompletions add_lunch_combo cgrep check_product check_variant choosecombo chooseproduct choosetype 
choosevariant cproj croot findmakefile gdbclient gdbwrapper get_abs_build_var getbugreports get_build_var getlastscreenshot 
getprebuilt getscreenshotpath getsdcardpath gettargetarch gettop godir hmm isviewserverstarted jgrep key_back key_home
key_menu lunch _lunch m mangrep mm mmm pid printconfig print_lunch_menu resgrep runhat runtest set_java_home
setpaths set_sequence_number set_stuff_for_environment settitle smoketest stacks startviewserver stopviewserver systemstack tapas tracedmdump
If find godir pretty useful for traversing the sources.

If you haven't got the aosp sources then androidxref.com is the place to look, they offer fully indexed sources of all the major releases of android and also the main branches of the android kernel.

hope that helps
13th November 2019, 04:31 PM |#5  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
Thanks Meter: 8,192

More
Test-Bump
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread