FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th November 2019, 05:18 PM |#11831  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
hi there, im thinking about to change mi pixel 2xl, the options are Mate 20 pro and Galaxy Note 9, bouth are awesomes phones. I want to choose wisely, the mate wins with his camera but the samsung screen its so great, and i use more the screen than the camera. For me the most important things are by order: camera,battery and screen.
The main reason that im changing from the pixel is the battery and the screen.
13th November 2019, 11:20 PM |#11832  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
im looking for a basic phone for linage os
something that I can just unlock the boot-loader and go.
I had a pixle xl but the bootloader could not be unlocked I was not able to do any thing with it, so I sent it back to amazon.
I was running a nokia 7.1 but the charging port went bad and i sent it in for a rma.
Unlocking the boot loader would cost and even if I do it there are very few roms. Figured since it was a android one phone I was good to go not so much. If they fix the nokia 7.1 im most likely just going to get sell it and look for something else.

Im running a iphone se with 16 gig rom and 2 gig of ram. it works well enough for me. My one and only problem with it is the 4 inch screen. typing takes all most 1/3 of the screen. Other than that I would just run that. Thanks for taking the time to read my post


something that will be supported for a new years, and I will not cry if it gets broken (150$ us give or take new or used)
14th November 2019, 12:41 AM |#11833  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 231
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven.warsong

im looking for a basic phone for linage os
something that I can just unlock the boot-loader and go.
I had a pixle xl but the bootloader could not be unlocked I was not able to do any thing with it, so I sent it back to amazon.
I was running a nokia 7.1 but the charging port went bad and i sent it in for a rma.
Unlocking the boot loader would cost and even if I do it there are very few roms. Figured since it was a android one phone I was good to go not so much. If they fix the nokia 7.1 im most likely just going to get sell it and look for something else.

Im running a iphone se with 16 gig rom and 2 gig of ram. it works well enough for me. My one and only problem with it is the 4 inch screen. typing takes all most 1/3 of the screen. Other than that I would just run that. Thanks for taking the time to read my post


something that will be supported for a new years, and I will not cry if it gets broken (150$ us give or take new or used)

Is it all pixel XL models can't be unlocked? I have one I never cared to unlock or root, I'm trying to sell since I replaced it with a OnePlus 5 for the dual Sims. I always assumed my pixel XL could be unlocked no problem. If it's just the model you got that can't be unlocked why not get another pixel XL that can?
15th November 2019, 09:26 PM |#11834  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 231
 
More
I understand what you mean now. Lately I prefer to buy a good used flagship a couple years old and replace the battery only if needed.

The last two (OnePlus 5 and pixel XL) both had near perfect batteries still and seemed to be not used much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to 350Rocket For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 350Rocket Ad-Free
15th November 2019, 11:28 PM |#11835  
CamoGeko's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,053
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

I understand what you mean now. Lately I prefer to buy a good used flagship a couple years old and replace the battery only if needed.

The last two (OnePlus 5 and pixel XL) both had near perfect batteries still and seemed to be not used much.

OnePlus 5 is the last greatest devices I've used in recent times so you've made a good decision.

It's actually really cheap to get now too, plus has a solid SoC which will stay fast enough for years to come!


Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to CamoGeko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CamoGeko Ad-Free
15th November 2019, 11:36 PM |#11836  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 231
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

OnePlus 5 is the last greatest devices I've used in recent times so you've made a good decision.

It's actually really cheap to get now too, plus has a solid SoC which will stay fast enough for years to come!


Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs

I am very happy with it. The pixel had a couple things going for it but overall I liked the OnePlus better. Both are good phones though.

The pixel had a better camera, faster updates and slightly smoother scrolling but the OnePlus 5 is also good at both. Everything else nearly is better on the OnePlus including ergonomics/comfort, speed, battery life and charge speed, headphone jack audio quality. But the big decision maker for me was needing to go back to dual Sims.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
19th November 2019, 02:03 PM |#11837  
gorilla p's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 2,757
 
Donate to Me
More
One Plus 7 Pro w/ 8GB RAM and 256GB storage just went on sale for early Black Friday. 549 or 522 shipped with student discount.
Great device at a good price. I have the OP6 and that was too good to pass up. It will be here in less than a week.
19th November 2019, 02:28 PM |#11838  
tsongming's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,993
 
Donate to Me
More
I highly recommend the Xiaomi Mi8.

At the moment you can find them on Amazon for as low as $259, and it's a fantastic phone, that has an excellent camera and solid Android 10 ROMs. I recommend the Xiaomi.EU rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsongming For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tsongming Ad-Free
19th November 2019, 06:47 PM |#11839  
gorilla p's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 2,757
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsongming

I highly recommend the Xiaomi Mi8.

At the moment you can find them on Amazon for as low as $259, and it's a fantastic phone, that has an excellent camera and solid Android 10 ROMs. I recommend the Xiaomi.EU rom.

I personally have been extremely soured on Xiaomi recently. I purchased 2 of their Android TV Boxes. Both performed poorly and we're broken by poorly coded/tested firmware updates.
I purchased the MiBand4 and they randomly removed the devices most popular feature (Custom watch faces) with no warning or explanation)
I purchased the MiPad4 and a year after release, they already pulled support for it.

I'm aware that their devices have good quality hardware at excellent values, but their firmware and device support is abysmal. I really wish they would improve on this, because their ability to make good hardware and great prices is really impressive.
19th November 2019, 11:55 PM |#11840  
tsongming's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,993
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla p

I personally have been extremely soured on Xiaomi recently. I purchased 2 of their Android TV Boxes. Both performed poorly and we're broken by poorly coded/tested firmware updates.
I purchased the MiBand4 and they randomly removed the devices most popular feature (Custom watch faces) with no warning or explanation)
I purchased the MiPad4 and a year after release, they already pulled support for it.

I'm aware that their devices have good quality hardware at excellent values, but their firmware and device support is abysmal. I really wish they would improve on this, because their ability to make good hardware and great prices is really impressive.


Sounds like you have had a bad experience, and I agree that the global rom good be better.

However, this is XDA and most of us know how to support the phones ourselves. With that in mind, the current Xiaomi.EU rom based on the Chinese beta and will eventually evolve into a much better rom...Its stellar, with no real issues to speak of. Older versions of Miui were definitely cluttered with alot of bloat. Miui 11 is much more streamed and has similarities to Samsung's One UI mixed with some iOS aesthetics and notably the gestures are possibly the best available on android. ( Disclaimer : It just my opinion)

On the other hand, there are many AOSP roms including the actual modded Pixel 3 rom, Not Pixel Experience, the actual software from the Pixel has been modded to run on the Mi8 and it is stellar. Although, I personally still prefer the most recent Xiaomi.EU

If you know anyone who owns a Mi8, ask if you can use it for 20 minutes. I assure you that 20 minutes may change your mind. For the record, I used to hate Miui with a passion. Another option is buying through Amazon, they have a very generous warranty and 90 day return period that comes in addition to the factory warranty which as you mentioned is not as good. If you buy from Amazon and hate the phone, you can easily return it and lose nothing.

One caveat, there is a 2 week waiting period for unlocking the bootloader, and you must register the device to be able to do so. Yes It seems like a hassle, at first. Although it ends up being worthwhile, because MiCloud is extremely similar to iCloud and it's great at restoring the phone, all the apps, and even your files such as photos and audio/ video files. To go on, if you somehow brick your Mi8, its very easy to restore

Edit :

One last thing, read this thread to see how others feel when they had a Mi8 and went to something much more expensive and they wanted to come back to the Mi8 : https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-...o-mi8-t4002527
20th November 2019, 01:11 AM |#11841  
Senior Member
Flag Gorredijk
Thanks Meter: 180
 
More
I kinda wanna upgrade my Note 9 but I have a few "requirements" which aren't easy to find lol.

I'm looking for a phone with a 855 or 855+, at least 6.5", underscreen fp, no notch and proper stereo speakers and good custom rom support.
Only phone so far that meets these requirements is the OnePlus 7 Pro and the ASUS ROG Phone 2 but compared to Chinese flagships like the Realme X2 pro (which has a notch) they are way too expensive. I know.. I shouldn't complain about price as I bought this note 9 brand new 13 months ago, but it has a lot of secondhand value still as it's in excellent condition and I kinda wanna upgrade it now that it still has some resale value.

Is there any other phone cheaper than a OP7 Pro that fits? I mean, the Redmi K20 Pro / Mi9 T Pro also matches pretty well but the speakers are kinda men and the screen feels smaller being 6.39" compared to my Note 9 and I like an as big as possible screen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes