[APP][2.3+] DroidShows: A Reboot of DroidSeries Offline TV Shows Tracker

Search This thread

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
EDIT: Found and fixed what was causing the problem!

Arrow OS has an odd little compatibility menu item tucked away in the settings that controls how much of the screen apps not designed for larger aspect ratios (such as 18:9, or 19.5:9 like my Mix 3) can use

The default is 1.86 for god knows what reason, setting it to infinite makes use of the whole display and the black bar is gone!

I'm sorry for wasting your time with this issue my friend :(

Related article: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/03/update-your-app-to-take-advantage-of.html

Aah yes, I found something somilar yesterday, but concerning a Samsung device. Wanted to ask if there was something like that for your device, too, but you beat me to it :) Good to know it's working now!

Cheers!

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
Bugfix release v7.9.5
  • Add context menu item for Seasons in Log mode
  • Add plural for 'to be aired' (thx m1ga)
  • Fixed a problem with duplicated thumbnails on updating all shows while the listView was reordering its shows asynchronously (e.g. when restoring)
Download here

Last edited:

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
v7.9.9
  • Added (+) "Add new show" button to Search field (search for show, if isn't added yet, click + button to add it right away)
  • Allow short (non-URL) entries in external resources (e.g. the name of the guy/gal who forced you into watching that show)
  • Added simple check to prevent "Update all shows" from being triggered multiple times.
  • Restored behavior: update current AND archived shows after clicking "Search"
  • Added tip for adding calendar items
  • Improved external resources examples
  • Updated German (thx @casperk)

Download here

TRANSLATIONS OF STRINGS NEEDED (French, Italian, Spanish, Russian):
- "Tap date to add to calendar"

TRANSLATIONS OF STRINGS NEEDED (French, Russian):
- "Filter shows"
- "Pull down list to update shows"
- "Mark next episode starting from the most recently watched"

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuprophen

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
Old Changelog

v7.8.0
  • Prevent popup "This app was built for an older version of Android..." on >= Pie (thx @Ibuprophen)
  • Change synopsis language per show
  • Specify synopsis language when adding new shows
  • Long-press check box in Episode Details to change seen date
  • Set folder for daily backups via Backup button
  • Removed old restore locations
  • Changed date format in Restore
  • Don't allow for browsing above ExternalStorageDirectory
  • Prevent browsing outside primary external storage in Restore
  • Added margin for text not to overlap context menu buttons
  • Removed maxLines
  • Added Italian translation (thx JiaCk214)
  • Updated German translation (thx finefin)
  • Updated Spanish translation (thx calebcDE)
v7.7.2
  • Swapped functionality: long-press poster is open external resources popup, double tap on poster is show details
  • Added button to add show if 1) none are present or 2) "Search shows" doesn't come up with results
  • Recreated icon and added adaptive launcher icon (Android 8+)
  • Action bar icon slightly sharper
  • Display show title in external resources dialog
  • Don't show new "Add show" button in empty log
v7.7.1
  • Added Material Design icon by Listy2021 (XDA) and me (old icon will still be used on Android < 5)
  • Using separate icon for Action Bar
  • Options/Filter dialogs only show icon on Android < 5
  • Fixed: List separator style in Seasons/Episodes list
  • Changed tint of popups
  • Fixed java.lang.outOfMemoryError due to copying the shows ArrayList when expanding
  • Fixed: More German translations
  • Fixed: Wrong string for Archive in drop-down list
  • Updated screenshots
v7.7.0
  • Material-ish Design (Android 5+)
  • Spinner for current/archive/log and custom popup style (Android 3+)
  • File/folder picker for backup/restore
  • Changed pull-to-refresh drawable
  • Open context menus next to buttons (N+)
  • Annoying scroll thumb doesn't show on start
  • Fixed: German translations.
v7.6.2
  • Added Context menu buttons in shows list and seasons list
  • Show/Season/Episode name in context menus
  • Added pull-to-refresh feature (update shows by pulling down the list)
  • Close Options dialog when performing backup/restore
  • Infinite scroll in Log
  • Fixed: posters were not downloaded (http->https)
  • Fixed: keyboard did not pop up on search shows
  • Fixed: more workarounds for Android 7 context menu stupidity/bugs
  • Fixed: inconsistent text colors in Log
  • Fixed: useless overscroll in Log
  • Fixed: position of context button in Android 7+
v7.5.2:
  • Filter shows by network ("Exclude seen" can be found under "Filter shows")
  • Backup/restore buttons on top, OK button at bottom
  • Fixed: issue where long-pressing show icon in search results would not trigger show details due to forced soft keyboard hiding
  • Code clean-up and refactoring
  • Fixed: check if backup directory existed did not work somehow
  • Fixed: workaround for annoyance with Android 7.0 shrinking context menus
  • Now using SDK25 to fix context menus issue
  • Workaround for notifications in SDK25
7.4.1:
  • Fixed: "Sort by..." and "Update shows" were permanently disabled after entering the Log mode (thx @casperklein)
  • Fixed: "Use entire line to mark episode" did not work anymore (thx @casperklein)
  • Added feature to pin shows to the top of the list, so you can keep close tabs on them
  • Log feature: shows the last 100 episodes you've marked as seen, with click-to-open-episode-details (while a single tap on the poster will open the seasons list instead)
  • Fixed: redone "jump to show" routine
  • "Search shows" -> "Search" (for you can also search the episodes in Log mode)
  • Fixed: removed unused space on right edge of shows list
  • Fixed: seen date color in episodes list wasn't correct on hover after checking & scrolling
  • Translations updated and fixed
7.3.5:
  • Fixed: "Next aired: ..." wasn't updated when 12 o'clock (AsyncInfo)
  • Updated French translation
7.3.4:
  • Fixed: the original XML parser code wasn't any good with & and other special characters, wrote a simple fix
  • Fixed: in Episodes list, the row wasn't updated after the seen status was changed in Episode Overview
  • "last season" => "latest season"
7.3.3:
  • Added French translation! (thx amadeous)
  • Updated Spanish translation (thx CalebCDE)
  • Monochrome icon for status bar notifications, using now monochrome'd poster placeholder
  • Fixed: workaround for FC when returning to shows list after adding a new show that received NULL for showStatus.
7.3.2:
  • Fixed: progress dialog did not close after updating single show (it wasn't me, it was Looper!)
  • Fixed: when searching, but without a search term, all shows are listed. This is nice 'n handy when you want to update both current and archived shows in one go. But after updating, the list was refreshed showing only current OR archived shows
7.3.1:
  • Added option to use mirror for TheTVDB connection
  • Much better connection error handling (including status bar notifications)
  • Improved all translations of new strings thanks to feedback
  • Fixed: if there were spaces between the custom external resource and the "*", the website would not be opened directly
  • Fixed: FastScroll thumb settings weren't set after restore or when switching between archive/current
  • Fixed: show stats weren't updated when returning from episode overview (accessed by tapping the poster image)
  • Fixed: status bar notifications on connection errors causes a FC (Android 4+)
  • Removed obsolete code
  • CHANGED BEHAVIOR: Tapping on poster icon in shows overview:
    - Single tap: go to episode details (was show details)
    - Longpress: go to show details (was episode details)
    - Double tap: external sources (either open *s directly, or - if no starred URLs...http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23298290/; solution: https://developer.android.com/guide/webapps/migrating.html#URLs)
    4.01: loadDataWithBaseURL to loadData with full
    data; Episodes checkmarks padding fix; Marquee for seasons info; to in show details;
    4.00: All posters will be automatically refreshed upon Update (All) when having old dimensions or when not existing anymore (this occurred sometimes due to TheTVDb errors); No more support for older versions of original DroidSeries databases (only latest v0.1.5-7 is supported and will be updated with new fields); New poster thumbnail when no poster was found (did not work anymore, either - fixed)
    3.91: Update routine for new poster thumbnail size
    3.90: View full-size poster and fan art in show overview; Added total number of episodes per season; Seasons lists not static anymore; Added DatabaseUtils.sqlEscapeString()'s where necessary; If status is unknown, don't show stupid "null"; Using parallel AsyncTask for updates of show & season updates; Put SQL statements for Show & Episode Overview into own activity (no more putExtra hell); SerieEpisodes RelativeLayout to LinearLayout; SerieEpisodes setOnClickListener => android: onClick in XML; Removed and reordered some SQL clauses for (theoretical) performance; Some more decent names for variables; Loading of icon drawable in getView() for faster start-up
    3.88: View full size poster and fan art
    3.87: New show & episode details views; if no IMDb id for a show is provided, long-pressing poster/clicking on rating in show overview will go to IMDb search page; less useless distracting text on screens and in titles
    3.85: Fixed: not always showing updated info after "Update all shows"
    3.84: Showing middot when all new episodes are aired; prettier list divider; About dialog called "Options"; instead of onItemClickListener using proper way of overriding onListItemClick; create ONE OnClickListener & ONE OnLongClickListener for all list items; some code cleanup
    3.83: Translucent background
    3.82: Added Undo function for "mark next episode as seen"; "Next episode" line no longer styled bold (more distinction between show name and info lines makes for quicker finding of shows while scrolling down the list).
    3.81: Tested on tablet, fixed IconView once again. Resolution of poster on download and view is now independent of device's ratios, but still depends on the screen's long side (px).
    3.81: Checkboxes in episodes list are now easier to tick when "Use entire line to check episode" is disabled.
    3.80: Finally nailed it: ellipsize="marquee" is working. Note to self: never trust someone else's code blindly.
    3.78: Showing cross after show name when show ended (instead of * in show info field) and showing status when no new episodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuprophen
@ltGuillaume, the app crashes upon updating the shows by pulling down and by using the menu option.

I then uninstalled the app, reinstalled and, when I selected to restore the backup, it crashed again.

It's a little late tonight but, I'll provide a logcat and, if needed, a screen recording of it.

Thanks a Bunch! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unless asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Apple Macintosh.

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
@ltGuillaume, the app crashes upon updating the shows by pulling down and by using the menu option.

I then uninstalled the app, reinstalled and, when I selected to restore the backup, it crashed again.

It's a little late tonight but, I'll provide a logcat and, if needed, a screen recording of it.

Thanks a Bunch! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unless asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Apple Macintosh.

Thanks for reporting, I should've checked that last minute adjustment first.

Updated version: https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4813049

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting, I should've checked that last minute adjustment first.

Updated version: https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4811586
That one works excellently!

I do appreciate your time, patience, understanding and especially your prompt and continued support for this development! :D

If I run into anything else, I'll definitely let you know (likely within Github for any big issues).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reactions: ltGuillaume

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
WARNING: TheTVDB.com has f*cked up their API

The current migration to V3 is screwing up a lot of data DroidShows tries to get. Expect empty show info, no IMDb ratings per episode and more ****e when you update.

At least enable the option Update show's latest season only until this is resolved. This will at least keep the show info and all but the last season's info intact.

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
Adding new shows is also impossible, since the show info does not include the show's id and name anymore. You'll get an empty show name, with only the actors as info and the episodes are added without IMDB ratings.

Howlin1

Feb 12, 2013
I'm having some issues with the season order, it isn't always showing specials at the top. For example for Rick and Morty it shows Season 1, Specials, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4.
I have deleted that show and re-added it but it is still showing like that. Nothing too major but a slight annoyance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191128-000621_DroidShows.png
    Screenshot_20191128-000621_DroidShows.png
    128 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: ltGuillaume

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
I'm having some issues with the season order, it isn't always showing specials at the top. For example for Rick and Morty it shows Season 1, Specials, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4.
I have deleted that show and re-added it but it is still showing like that. Nothing too major but a slight annoyance.

You're right. This is also a new issue created by the API changes at TheTVDb.com. This will help, though: https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4889061

Last edited:
Reactions: Howlin1

Howlin1

Feb 12, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191210-122335_DroidShows.png
    Screenshot_20191210-122335_DroidShows.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 55

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
Sorry something else I just noticed. If a tv show has more than 9 seasons it will appear out of order. It will show
Season 1
Season 10
Season 11
Season 2
Etc

You're right. As a remnant of DroidSeries, apparently the season number is saved as a string into the database. This causes a simple ascending sort to give these results (e.g. 1, 10 11, 2).

Please try this version.

Attachments

• DroidShows_7.9.9d.apk
    205.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Listy2021

Listy2021

Jan 28, 2012
Getting "Error connecting to TheTVDB. Try again" notifications when trying to update shows (also happens on the mirror) :confused:

ltGuillaume

Jun 17, 2010
  • Prevented loading shows twice on start-up due to spinner.setOnItemSelectedListener. This caused flickering of the list.
  • Improved use of notifyDataChanged to speed up list changes
  • Used similar procedure to fetch posters when adding shows and when updating shows. This may solve the issue that the poster didn't show up when adding a new show.

Reactions: Listy2021

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New users: consider Android Tiny Television Time Tracker

DroidShows still uses an old API version of TheTVDB. This worked just fine until recently, but in May 2023, many bugs were introduced into the API (episodes were missing or duplicated). These bugs have now been resolved (as of May 22nd, 2023), but the legacy API will eventually be deprecated.

This fork of DroidShows uses TMDB to gather the show data instead of TheTVDB and thus should be considered for new users.

DroidShows

This fork of DroidSeries adds quite a bunch of features, among which an improved design, a menu overflow button, pinning, quick search and filters, separate archive/backlog list, a last seen episodes log, swipe gestures, more show information, backup/restore, double episode entries prevention, faster updating, cover and fan art view, a modern launcher icon and it speeds up responsiveness significantly by (more) efficient SQL queries and some threading. DroidShows only needs an internet connection when updating the show info or watching full-size posters.
    DroidShows can now be found in the F-Droid Repository.

Features Overview

icon.png
    icon.png

DroidShows v7.11.2 (September 2, 2020)
    ©2010 Carlos Limpinho, Paulo Cabido under GPLv3
    Modified by Mikael Berthe
    ©2014-2020 Guillaume under GPLv3
    Icon file is a mix of work by Thrasos Varnava and Taenggo
    Material icon made by @Listy2021 and me
    Homepage
    Wiki (FAQ)
    Screenshots & comparison with original DroidSeries
    Source code

Download APK:
    Latest version is always attached to this post
    Releases on Github
    F-Droid Repository

Buy me a beer
    Liberapay

Some pointers:
    • Don't forget to update all shows regularly (pull-to-refresh)
    • Context menu has more options (long-press item or use overflow buttons)
    • Swipe left-to-right to go back
      In Shows Overview:
    • Tap poster for next episode's info
    • Double tap poster for show info
    • Long-press poster for external resource (to *urls directly, or list)
    • Swipe right-to-left to mark as seen
      In Show Details:
    • Tap poster for full-screen view
    • Click full-screen poster image for fan art
      In Show/Episode Details:
    • Tap IMDb rating to view in IMDb App when installed, or on IMDb's mobile webpage
    • Tap the air date to add to calendar

If you've found a bug and want to report it here, please have a look at this post by @Ibuprophen.

Changes in v7.11.2
    • Don't reload search results after adding a show
    • Possibly prevent delays in main and seasons activities by making AsyncTasks static
    v7.11.1
    • Decrease pull-to-refresh delay from 1000 to 500ms
    • Instead of crashing, show an error toast if no Calendar app was found
    • Don't restart activity when rotating
    v7.11.0
    • Preliminary statistics: per-show total seen time (calculated with the average episode runtime)
    • Bring back "Include/Exclude seen" option in main menu (faster than "Filter shows")
    • Make versioning of backups optional
    • Fix daily backups trigger by disabling write-ahead logging for database (which is enabled by default since Android 9)
    • Trigger automatic backup in onStop() instead of onDestroy(), since the activity could apparently stay opened for days and backups would not be created
    • Changed HttpURLConnection to HttpsURLConnection (#89)
    • External resources: add https:// to URLs without :// instead of http://
    • Refactoring: renamed some methods, same name for per-show and per-season methods
    v7.10.2
    • Fixed: touching the right edge of the screen triggered onBackPressed()
    • Fixed: onBackPressed() could be triggered twice
    • Improved mark next episode gesture detection (don't scroll vertically during gesture)
    v7.10.1
    • Add long-press on checkbox to change seen timestamp (as in episode details) to episodes overview
    • Improve gesture detection for Mark episode as seen
    • Fixed a crash when adding a new show without a poster (no idea how that return; statement got lost)
    • Refactor (messsages_edit_)seen_date (messsages_edit_)seen_timestamp and seendate to seenTimestamp
    v7.10.0
    • Add time picker dialog for seen timestamp
    • Fixed listView not resetting to top when switching between current/archive/log
    v7.9.11
    • Prevented loading shows twice on start-up due to spinner.setOnItemSelectedListener. This caused flickering of the list.
    • Improved use of notifyDataChanged to speed up list changes
    • Used similar procedure to fetch posters when adding shows and when updating shows. This may solve the issue that the poster didn't show up when adding a new show.
    v7.9.10
    • Removed maxSdkVersion to support Android 10
    • android:resizeableActivity="true" should remove letterbox on 21:9 screens
    • Changed versionCode format
    • Properly sort seasons instead of 1,10,2,20 (TheTVDB API bug)
    • Use AsyncTask for adding shows
    v7.9.9c
    • Fixed "simple check to prevent "Update all shows" from being triggered multiple times"
    • German translation updated (thx @casperk)
    • Always reload shows after adding to prevent duplicates (#79)
    • Improve IMDB rating handling in episode details
    • Fixed Seasons/Specials order in Seasons overview (caused by API changes)
    v7.9.8
    • Added (+) "Add new show" button to Search field (search for show, if isn't added yet, click + button to add it right away)
    • Allow short (non-URL) entries in external resources (e.g. the name of the guy/gal who forced you into watching that show)
    • Added simple check to prevent "Update all shows" from being triggered multiple times.
    • Restored behavior: update current AND archived shows after clicking "Search"
    • Added tip for adding calendar items
    • Improved external resources examples
    v7.9.7
    • Updating via pull-to-refresh sometimes wouldn't work after the 1st time (thx for reporting, @Ibuprophen1)
    • Overscroll wouldn't always snap back when aborting pull-to-refresh
    v7.9.6
    • Fixed issue with progress indicator on restore (thx casperklein)
    • Fixed issue with reloading shows after restore (thx casperklein)
    v7.9.5
    • Add context menu item for Seasons in Log mode
    • Add plural for 'to be aired' (thx m1ga)
    • Fixed a problem with duplicated thumbnails on updating all shows while the listView was reordering its shows asynchronously (e.g. when restoring)
    v7.9.3:
    • Fixed Edit seen date (load & save) in Episodes Overview (thx @Mirclus #69)
    • Preliminary change TargetSDK = 21 for fixing black bar at bottom for high-res displays
    • Bundle database ops when updating show stats (beginTransaction() etc.)
    • Fixed a mistake in Edit seen date in Episodes Overview
    v7.9.1:
    • Changed menu order for Search on old Android versions
    • Fixed episode IMDb lookup from Log
    • Cleaned up options and context menus in Log mode
    • Added context menu buttons to Log
    • Set context menu title to episode name in Log mode
    v7.9.0
    • Option to calculate the next episode by starting from the last episode that was marked as seen (don't assume the first unseen episode)
    • Add episode to calendar by clicking on the air date
    • Context menu items to search on FANDOM (Wikia) and Rotten Tomatoes
    • Include timestamp for seen mark (needed for "Mark next episode starting from the most recently watched")
    • Visual distinction in "Search shows" between current and archived shows
    • Pinned shows aren't white, but have a "pin" next to them
    • Don't show toast messages for automatic backups
    • Disable fast scroll (interferes with context menu and show filters)
    • Show database update errors as toast messages and logcat entries
    • Update next episode text when toggling a relevant option
    • Don't just update last season when changing synopsis language (ignore the relevant option)
    • Searching in "Add show" activity for 2nd time, then changing synopsis language would search using 1st search term
    • Open AddSerie activity when clicking the "Add show" button to prevent confusion
    • Changed some error handling for database operations
    Older changes

screenshot.png
    5.2: Show search field on activity restart when shows list is still filtered; Made swipe detect a bit more sensitive; Added a bit of padding to the left of the Quick Search close button; Removed useless TheTVDb model classes.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3420541&d=1438022067

Edit: I thought it was annoying that the keyboard popped up when returning to the app while showing a filtered shows list (search terms entered), so there's a small update (re-download 5.2 if you want).
    I really thought I needed to do something about the Add Show stuff (plus the original code had a serious bug), so here it is:

4.04: Removed separate activity for show synopsis when adding show;
    Instead added dialog with synopsis and Add button (disabled when already in DroidSeries);
    Touching outside dialogs (Options, synopses in Add show) dismisses the dialog; Fixed a bug in original code where toggled (hidden) shows were not seen as "already added", which could then result in all episodes being added again;
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3232185&d=1427484378
    4.3: Minor renaming issue with database table: keeping table "droidseries" for compatibility reasons.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3342700&stc=1&d=1433162765
    6.2: Moved around some variables to make other activities independent of main activity; Workaround for Android bug so that returning to last opened activity works; Made clear that current shows are NOT updated when archived shows are listed and vice versa (strings changed).
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3556476&d=1448576763

Making the activities independent also fixes a bug that caused a crash when returning to a seasons/episodes activity after the app had been destroyed by Android.