By K.A., Senior Member on 11th July 2012, 04:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th November 2019, 02:15 PM |#9341  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,028

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by codevalley

Been a Windows user since 90s. But, work demands me to use a Mac.
So I have Mac, and a few surface laptops, and an Alienware desktop.
Recently to build AOSP, I had to install Ubuntu, accidentally ended up flushing my Alienware disk.
Even after 20+ years, it is still hard to get Ubuntu going. Especially when the Secure boot is enabled in BIOS.

I am a windows user,and build ROM's using Ubuntu running in VBox.
24th November 2019, 02:36 PM |#9342  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Time consuming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

I am a windows user,and build ROM's using Ubuntu running in VBox.

Ok, so after making my entire Alienware X1 run Ubuntu (i7 Quad core, 16GB, Nvidia 1060Ti, 1TB SSD), it is still very very slow for a cold build (8-10hrs). Can't imagine how slow it will be on VBox.
I also tried installing Ubuntu 18.04 shell (from windows store) and building on that. Build failed because of underlying structure.
24th November 2019, 03:54 PM |#9343  
Thanks Meter: 553

More
If VBox is configured right, there shouldn't be any real slowdown. I've been using Debian as my OS since 2006. Haven't had any issues installing it on any machines.
24th November 2019, 04:00 PM |#9344  
Quote:

Ok, so after making my entire Alienware X1 run Ubuntu (i7 Quad core, 16GB, Nvidia 1060Ti, 1TB SSD), it is still very very slow for a cold build (8-10hrs). Can't imagine how slow it will be on VBox.

I also tried installing Ubuntu 18.04 shell (from windows store) and building on that. Build failed because of underlying structure.

Use another distro or a different flavor of Ubuntu that isn't so heavy, one that is a bit more stripped down but still has the essentials. Or, install the lightest linux distro that has the bare minimum then manually install only the packages you need and nothing that you don't need.

There is an old project called Builduntu that is based on Ubuntu and comes pre-installed with the necessary tools to build android, of course, it would need to be updated a bit to build more recent android versions but at the time it came ready to go, no extra setup necessary. There is a Vbox version and a dual-boot version.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
24th November 2019, 11:29 PM |#9345  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,028

More
Quote:

I have a pretty old no-name desktop.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K [email protected] 3.50GHz 4.40 GHz (the 4.4 is an overclock )
20.0 GB, 64-Bit (Hardware ram is 24GB)

I assign the VBox 90% CPU, 8 cores (4 real cores hyper-threaded), and 12GB RAM

I have multiple drives assigned to the VBox. eg One for system, another for ROM source, and another for Out and another for ccache. Thus reads and writes go to different controllers and thereby occur in parallel. Some drives are RAID1 non-solid state (ie rotating drives), while at least one is a USB3 portable drive!

Even with the VBox, my build time is around 70min for Oreo, and 90min for Q (after CCache is built, ie second build, a cold build is around twice that I think, CCache is on a rotating drive)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
computer questions, laptop questions

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)