Any Launcher, No Root (Launcher Hijack V4)

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I don't want to contribute further to the topic drift, but I must mention that the Onn 10 inch tablet is not comparable to the new Fire 10 tablets.
Yep - Onn 7" and 8" models are roughly equivalent to Amazon varients with the latter having a bit more memory. Onn 10 is a completely different beast. All run clean, contemporary Android 9 builds which avoids the limitations of FireOS and messing with unlocking/rooting/patching/hacking a locked down device. Not to mention variable quality custom ROMs built on an aging Android 7.1 foundation. Bonus round: saves a bit of coin and a bunch of time so you can actually use your device instead of managing it. Imagine that. :)

mkanet

Jul 31, 2010
So, is the Onn 10" better or worse than the Amazon Fire HD 10 with the toolkit installed? It looks like to me the Onn 10" isn't anywhere near as good as the Amazon fire HD (screen resolution, picture quality, CPU power, no fast charging support). However, it seems like a good option if someone doesn't want to use the toolkit and want a new Android OS revision.

Yep - Onn 7" and 8" models are roughly equivalent to Amazon varients with the latter having a bit more memory. Onn 10 is a completely different beast. All run clean, contemporary Android 9 builds which avoids the limitations of FireOS and messing with unlocking/rooting/patching/hacking a locked-down device. Not to mention variable quality custom ROMs built on an aging Android 7.1 foundation. Bonus round: saves a bit of coin and a bunch of time so you can actually use your device instead of managing it. Imagine that. :)

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
So, is the Onn 10" better or worse than the Amazon Fire HD 10 with the toolkit installed? It looks like to me the Onn 10" isn't anywhere near as good as the Amazon fire HD (screen resolution, picture quality, CPU power, no fast charging support). However, it seems like a good option if someone doesn't want to use the toolkit and want a new Android OS revision.
As noted, the Onn 10 is not comparable to any recent Amazon HD 10. The latter is superior in most areas but costs a fair bit more unless you can catch it on promotion (like now). Some earlier generations of the HD 10 can be rooted; the 2019 variant is not yet on that list. Personally I'd avoid the Onn 10 given screen resolution and no other distinguishing specs other than price.

Reactions: bblackmoor

fakename1234567

Nov 26, 2019
I've downloaded the correct version of this (v403) but when I go to install it says "com.baronkiko.launcherhijack has been blocked. it is not compatible with this device." Any way around this?

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014
I've downloaded the correct version of this (v403) but when I go to install it says "com.baronkiko.launcherhijack has been blocked. it is not compatible with this device." Any way around this?

Go to page 40... the answer is there, scroll down and read and you'll find what you are looking for. I googled and found it. It works.

Ran into the same issue and found the work around on page 40.

Rocky2418

Nov 27, 2019
I too am experiencing the Launcher Hijack issue on the 2019 Fire HD 10 I just got. It worked flawlessly on my HD 8, but on this one it sometimes does what others have said here - goes back to the default launcher for about 5 seconds, and then goes to the Nova one - and other times (most of the time, in fact) it just goes to the default one and flat out never switches to Nova, as if Launcher Hijack wasn't even on the device. I'll definitely be following this thread to see if/when this issue gets a fix. In the meantime, I at least uncluttered the default screen as much as I could by putting all the default apps I don't use into one folder. Still can't move the icons to the bottom of the screen and leave an empty space above as I like to do (for the sake of better wallpaper visibility), but it'll have to do for now.

pilotbob3

Jul 28, 2010
Same here for the 2019 FIre HD 10. When I press the home button, it goes back to the stock launcher and then I have to click the Launcher Hijack icon to get Nova back. The other thing I notice is that when I run Launcher Hijack, it does not allow me to select the default launcher(the select option is greyed out).

BXM500

Same here for the 2019 FIre HD 10. When I press the home button, it goes back to the stock launcher and then I have to click the Launcher Hijack icon to get Nova back. The other thing I notice is that when I run Launcher Hijack, it does not allow me to select the default launcher(the select option is greyed out).

Just disable the Fire launcher and Nova works fine.
I have the new Fire HD 10 (2019) too and I debloated it today. Got rid of the default launcher and lock screen ads etc..

pilotbob3

Jul 28, 2010
Sorry, never mind. Found my problem:

pm disable-user --user0 com.amazon.firelauncher

I have the new Fire HD 10 (2019) too and I debloated it today. Got rid of the default launcher and lock screen ads etc..

Had to be a total newbie, but could you post a link on how to disable the Fire Launcher. The tutorial I found did not allow me to disable (the adb command comes up with Shell cannot change component state for com.amazon.firelauncher/null to 2).

The tutorial assumed I had SU, but I did not think the 2019 Fire HD10 was rootable.

Many thanks in advance,

Last edited:

BXM500

Had to be a total newbie, but could you post a link on how to disable the Fire Launcher. The tutorial I found did not allow me to disable (the adb command comes up with Shell cannot change component state for com.amazon.firelauncher/null to 2).

The tutorial assumed I had SU, but I did not think the 2019 Fire HD10 was rootable.

Many thanks in advance,

I connected my tablet to the PC and from the "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" command prompt:

adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.firelauncher
adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.paladin

Reactions: pilotbob3

nukumichi75

May 10, 2019
I connected my tablet to the PC and from the "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" command prompt:

adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.firelauncher
adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.paladin

So, just to get you right - does the Fire HD 10 (2019) need to be rooted in order to use the adb commands above?

Update: Just stumbled upon this thread in Github, where someone used the "Amazon Fire Toolbox" for changing the launcher, removing ads etc.
https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/issues/57

Can anyone confirm this is working? @pilotbob3 isn't that what you are looking for?

Last edited:
Reactions: dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie

Nov 24, 2014

pilotbob3

Jul 28, 2010
Thanks BXM500, that worked perfectly. Now, I have one strange problem, not sure it's has to do with the launcher replacement. My volume control buttons only work intermittently. Sometimes works fine, when pressed show the pop up control. Other times, does not work at all. Seems like it will not work, then my Chrome browser crashes and it works fine.

Anyone else having this problem?

Rocky2418

Nov 27, 2019
Thanks BXM500, that worked perfectly. Now, I have one strange problem, not sure it's has to do with the launcher replacement. My volume control buttons only work intermittently. Sometimes works fine, when pressed show the pop up control. Other times, does not work at all. Seems like it will not work, then my Chrome browser crashes and it works fine.

Anyone else having this problem?

As a matter of fact, I was having issues with my volume control buttons too. Three different times, they flat out stopped working altogether, and the only way I found to fix them (temporarily) was to reboot the device. Finally, I decided that, since Launcher Hijack was clearly not jiving well with the new HD 10, I might as well try uninstalling it, just to see if it somehow was connected. I uninstalled it, and immediately my volume controls (which had stopped working again) started working, even without another reboot - and they haven't stopped working since. So I can't say for sure, but it definitely seems like LH was the cause, even if I don't know why.

I'll definitely have to check out that Toolbox thing mentioned above, if Launcher Hijack isn't gonna get the job done this time.

gumbyx84

So your disabled Fire Launcher? Doesn't it re-enable itself?

Did you see my post above yours? The Amazon Fire Toolbox (https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/development/official-amazon-fire-toolbox-v1-0-t3889604) seems to manage everything you want to do. Couldn't try myself because my Fire Tablet has not yet been delivered..
I'm a Mac user so I can't use the toolbox

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Launcher Hijack V4
    Allows a custom launcher on Amazon Kindle Fire's and Fire TV's

An early, insert seasonally appropriate celebration here, present from me. Adds support for Fire TV devices and the new Fire Tablets. Enjoy.

Please find instructions for use here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/blob/master/HELP.md#fire-tablets). Adb required for first time setup on Fire TV's.
    Find the latest release here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/releases). I'm working on Aptoide and F-Droid releases for those that prefer those methods. Hopefully in the next few days.
    If you want to look at my rushed and sloppy code then feel free to look here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack)
    Please send any issues here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/issues)
    Feeling kind and want to donate? Find instructions here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/blob/master/README.md#donations)

Huge thanks to ParrotGeek1, Speeddymon and Urbanman2004.
    • ParrotGeek1 made V1 and without him I would have never started this project.
    • Speeddymon donated a 2018 Fire TV allowing me to implement Fire TV support. If you have a Fire TV you should thank him
    • Urbanman2004 created the lovely logo/app icon. Be sure to thank him too.

Finally I don't really check these forums often anymore so please head over to the github page and post there if you are having any issues. Usually I am pretty quick to respond there.

Edit/Update history:
    [Edit 24/02/17]
    Fixed links, sorted grammar

[Update 21/03/17]
    Version 2.1 released, improves speed and reliability of the application so should be a good update for all. Thanks to ParrotGeek once again for the tip on how to improve it.

[Edit 11/07/17]
    Sick of people complaining about the same issues so I added some troubleshooting steps and specific instructions for google now.

[Update 27/07/17]
    Version 3 released
    Old blurb, removed:
    I'm here to announce my latest project, Launcher Hijack V2.
    This uses the same exploit as Launcher Hijack V1, by parrotgeek1, but allows you to select any launcher of your choice. If I find time I intend to implement further features but for now that's all you get :p

[Update 12/07/18]
    Issue with the new update
    Comment about using github to report issues.

[Update 10/12/18]
    Version 4 released
    Most post info moved to GitHub

[Updated 25/03/19]
    Version 4.0.3 released
    Comes with a new logo
    Care to share the modified apk? Like others, I lack the tools and knowledge to rename the app in Android Studio. A link to the fixed APK would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

I modified the apk, works fine again on my Fire HD8(2017).
    Make sure you deinstall the old App. Go into Settings>Apps>All>Swipe to the right till all and search your old App. Then install the new Apk.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kqa89yndk468itf/Launcher.Hijack.v.4.0.3.b.43.Clone.apk/file

Update:Users reported that the Deinstallation is maybe optional. Try it first without! :)
    V3 released, keep me posted on any issues you may have.
    I happened three times in the hour installed. I didn't have previous version installed. Sounds like a clean install to me. So sure, he can wait for other reports.

I don't like the flash of the stock launcher, coupled with getting thrown to the recents menu, I choose not to keep it installed. This also means I dont have another launcher installed. So I won't install it all again unless I have a reason to believe something will be different .

Edit: reinstalled 2.1, verified 2.1 in settings. Installed nova. Took 5 minutes to reproduce. Landed in recents menu.

Edit again: just happened again after that post exiting XDA app.

So I worked out how to reproduce it on my device but it's still pretty difficult to trigger. As I can tell it does so after you open a new app that takes significant resources as your launcher gets killed in the background. Now I can somewhat reproduce it I will likely add a slow mode to make it more consistent but it requires more that plans. If I manage to come up with some sort of solution I will post the update here.
    First of all, THANK YOU for this great tool.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Apex launcher works well, having little to no FireOs flicker, and I'm just confirming that. I had been using Nova launcher for a couple of weeks and was seeing a lot of flicker. I decided to try Apex and since theming it and setting it up, I've not seen hide nor hair of FireOs. Apex does have an advanced option to keep it in memory, maybe that's why. Or maybe it's just about launch times. In any case, I'm a very happy user.

Thanks again.