FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,187 Vote(s)
59.23%
Yes, kind of.

472 Vote(s)
23.55%
No, needs improvement.

345 Vote(s)
17.22%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,726 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,851

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th November 2019, 08:35 PM |#29891  
Flag Marshall
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

@PhishFoam, So you're frustrated because a hotspot device received an update that prevents you from using in in a manner that is against the use agreement? Do I have that right?

No, I’m frustrated in myself, because I downloaded the update without thinking twice about it; knowing what was to come. I just want to revert to the previous version to see if that would allow me to still use my hotspot the way I have been for years. It has only been in violation for less than a year now because people were abusing it by essentially bootlegging their unlimited data plan. If I’m wasting my time and there is no hope either way, then as I said before, c’est la vie.
Perhaps I was too elaborate with my explanation, and I have tied your hands due to forum rules I am not yet aware of; but I’m just an honest person and figured the more information I could give would help you folks help me.
I apologize if I came across any other way than honest and transparent, and I most definitely do not want to be mistaken for a choosing beggar. I am simply desperate to keep my $55/mo phone/dedicated gaming line. Thank you again for taking the time to read this.

Happy Thanksgiving

Sincerely, PhishFoam

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Yep
@ktmom, it doesn't violate XDA rules "per se" because it isn't illegal, just shady. Plenty of users here enable hotspot on devices that shouldn't have that function according to the carrier. Myself included, on some of my previous devices.

But yeah, it can be seen as fraud or theft, but, it only breaks TOS/EULA, the worst that can happen is cancellation of service/account or blacklisting the device.

The way XDA sees it, do what you want with your device, just don't break actual law or steal from developers, they couldn't care less what happens between you and your carrier.

I appreciate your more elaborate reply @Droidriven, I was quite disheartened by your earlier one-word response. Although, now I am comforted that you somewhat relate to where I’m coming from. I’m not trying to steal from anyone, nor benefit more from the service that I have simply grown accustomed to. I will admit I feel entitled to the hotspot, and I wish I could’ve been grandfathered in after the policy change due to my long-standing account history and consistency of non-abuse reflected by monthly data-usage logs. I could do away with that attitude, I suppose, but it’s really not hurting anyone but myself in the end.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, PhishFoam
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhishFoam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PhishFoam Ad-Free
28th November 2019, 08:37 PM |#29892  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,669

More
Quote:

Yep
@ktmom, it doesn't violate XDA rules "per se" because it isn't illegal, just shady. Plenty of users here enable hotspot on devices that shouldn't have that function according to the carrier. Myself included, on some of my previous devices.

But yeah, it can be seen as fraud or theft, but, it only breaks TOS/EULA, the worst that can happen is cancellation of service/account or blacklisting the device.

The way XDA sees it, do what you want with your device, just don't break actual law or steal from developers, they couldn't care less what happens between you and your carrier.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

I think there is a (arguably thin) line between using my phone data any way I want, and using a dedicated data device against the user agreement.

Using my phone data in a tethered mode, without exploiting the plan in any other way seems to me to be my right. It's my data and I paid for it. When I hit quota, it's throttled and that's fine. It's the deal I agree to. Finding ways to exploit a dedicated data device seems to me to cross a line.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
28th November 2019, 08:54 PM |#29893  
Quote:

I think there is a (arguably thin) line between using my phone data any way I want, and using a dedicated data device against the user agreement.

Using my phone data in a tethered mode, without exploiting the plan in any other way seems to me to be my right. It's my data and I paid for it. When I hit quota, it's throttled and that's fine. It's the deal I agree to. Finding ways to exploit a dedicated data device seems to me to cross a line.

It seems to me that they are trying to get the hotspot working again on their LG phone. I would think that is no different than adding hotspot function to a device that did not come with a hotspot feature, similar to what I did years ago with a Galaxy Centura. Straight talk would throttle me after I reached my high speed data limit, of course, other than that, no problem.

They just want to use their phone as a hotspot as they did before the update. No different than flashing a custom ROM that has a hotspot feature on a device that did not come factory installed with a hotspot feature or on a device that the carrier did not intend to ever have a hotspot feature. This is frequently done by many here.
@ktmom, I forgot to say that understand where you're coming from. But, on the same token, many things we do on our devices and with the apps we use, break user agreement, whether you or we realize it or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
28th November 2019, 09:14 PM |#29894  
Flag Marshall

More
Quote:

It seems to me that they are trying to get the hotspot working again on their LG phone. I would think that is no different than adding hotspot function to a device that did not come with a hotspot feature, similar to what I did years ago with a Galaxy Centura. Straight talk would throttle me after I reached my high speed data limit, of course, other than that, no problem.

They just want to use their phone as a hotspot as they did before the update. No different than flashing a custom ROM that has a hotspot feature on a device that did not come factory installed with a hotspot feature or on a device that the carrier did not intend to ever have a hotspot feature. This is frequently done by many here.

Thank you again for your reply @Droidriven. Feels good to see you completely understand my position. Originally the Ultimate Unlimited Data plan had a hard cap of 60gb, which I only breached once when I forgot to switch over to house wi-fi in order to do a Destiny update (80gb+/-), in which I was throttled-to-the-max(kbps) and had a horrible month of gaming(wah-wah, I know). It’s just that satellite internet, my only option in my heavily wooded rural area, sucks; even if I get sufficient dl/ul speeds, the ping/packet loss counters that completely.
Okay, now I feel as if I’m just complaining. Is there any hope for poor ol’ me?

Sincerely, wah-wah PhishFoam
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhishFoam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PhishFoam Ad-Free
28th November 2019, 09:24 PM |#29895  
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishFoam

Thank you again for your reply @Droidriven. Feels good to see you completely understand my position. Originally the Ultimate Unlimited Data plan had a hard cap of 60gb, which I only breached once when I forgot to switch over to house wi-fi in order to do a Destiny update (80gb+/-), in which I was throttled-to-the-max(kbps) and had a horrible month of gaming(wah-wah, I know). It’s just that satellite internet, my only option in my heavily wooded rural area, sucks; even if I get sufficient dl/ul speeds, the ping/packet loss counters that completely.

Download the version of stock firmware that you had previously. Then do a Google search for:

"Return to stock (your specific model number)"

Or

"How to flash stock firmware on LG devices"

That should find guides with the instructions and tools you'll need to flash the firmware that you downloaded

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
28th November 2019, 09:28 PM |#29896  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,669

More
@Droidriven @PhishFoam

Ok, I did start by asking if this was a dedicated data device. I don't use LG devices.

Spending time searching, it seems this is a TracFone.

There seems to be ROMs available here, if I have the model number right.

http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list...&search=L414dl

There is also a discussion about rooting at https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...1&postcount=22
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
28th November 2019, 09:30 PM |#29897  
Quote:

@Droidriven @PhishFoam

Ok, I did start by asking if this was a dedicated data device. I don't use LG devices.

Spending time searching, it seems this is a TracFone.

There seems to be rooms available here, if I have the model number right.

http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list...&search=L414dl

There is also a discussion about rooting at https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...1&postcount=22

Ah, I misunderstood your original question then. My, "yep" wasn't the correct answer to your question, sorry for the confusion, my friend.

The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
28th November 2019, 10:25 PM |#29898  
Flag Marshall

More
@ktmom @Droidriven

Thank you both so much for narrowing down my search, there is so much overwhelming info out there. Also, so sorry for not including the model number (LML414DL) in my first post @ktmom, I could’ve sworn I had; I greatly appreciate that you took the time to look that up for me.
Now time to give this a shot. *cracks knuckles, crosses fingers*

Thanks again y’all.

Sincerely, PhishFoam
The Following User Says Thank You to PhishFoam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PhishFoam Ad-Free
29th November 2019, 12:00 AM |#29899  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,201

More
When you agree to a contract, it is against the law to break the terms of that agreement, and hence providers get you into a contract. This of course depends on the terms of the contract being legally enforceable. In Australian law you can not contract something that is not legally enforceable, and we have pretty strong consumer rights protection laws. But I do not know if it would cover the data sharing constraints, and each region will be different.
29th November 2019, 03:39 AM |#29900  
Flag Castle Rock, Wa
Thanks Meter: 673

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishFoam

I am in a similar issue.

My att prepaid allows hotspot on my Samsung's galaxy note 4 running lineageOS.
Put the same chip in my unlocked google pixel 2 xl with stock ROM , and the phone refuses without netting another authentication method from att , which cannot be provided . data is what I buy, I expect data, not a forced upsale to another service.

Which brings me to XDA to root and run a custom ROM. My unlocked phone. Not theirs. I paid for it. I pay as I go.

Thanks for coming to XDA to share your story
29th November 2019, 10:56 PM |#29901  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Help
I need help with my Lenovo ThinkPad tablet. I wanted to change the recovery image from CWM to TWRP because I wanted to upgrade from android 4.1.2 to 4.4.4 cause 4.1.2 lacks a lot of support for most modern apps. So I flashed it from CWM 6.0.1.2 to TWRP 2.2.0 and restarted it and now it's stuck on the Lenovo screen with booting recovery kernel image on the top left corner.

I wanted to know if I can flash it back to CWM,

Note: Locked bootloader
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)