FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Stuck After 1.3 on Samsung Screen?

No, and hope I never do.

178 Vote(s)
83.18%
Yes, but I solved it by reflashing

8 Vote(s)
3.74%
Yes, but I solved it by flashing V1.3 or older

7 Vote(s)
3.27%
Yes, and had to reflash full stock

21 Vote(s)
9.81%

[Kernel/Recovery][P75XX] A1 Kernel V1.9/TWRP2.6.3.0

1,004 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,924

By AAccount, Senior Member on 14th August 2012, 09:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th February 2016, 02:20 AM |#1461  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
After reading many threads, watching many youtube videos, much screaming and pointing fingers and shouting why! why? why am i finding this so difficult? what am i obviously not seeing? I come to you a broken man

I've an old but much loved Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 GT-P7510, a couple days ago and after much reading i decided to take the plunge and try to breath new life into this aging bit of technology. So Ive managed to root it, installed TWRP 2.2.0 ! installed super user (updated that via the playstore to superSU V2.46) and then install CyanogenMod 10.1-20140216-NIGHTLY-p4wifi and then gapps-jb-20130129-P75xx.zip

As it stands my GT- P7510 is
andriod version 4.2.2
kernel 3.1.10-cyanogenmod+build01
recovery TWRP 2.2.0

Now id like to install the Twrp2630-wifi zip found in this thread but for the life of me i don't understand how i update TWRP? every video i see talks about using goo manager but that's no longer available? and its alternatives don't recognize my device or version of TWRP. After two days and many, many hours i admit defeat, if some caring soul would please enlighten me, id be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance and apologies if theres a more suitable thread to ask this question
20th February 2016, 08:27 AM |#1462  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethsemane

After reading many threads, watching many youtube videos, much screaming and pointing fingers and shouting why! why? why am i finding this so difficult? what am i obviously not seeing? I come to you a broken man

I've an old but much loved Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 GT-P7510, a couple days ago and after much reading i decided to take the plunge and try to breath new life into this aging bit of technology. So Ive managed to root it, installed TWRP 2.2.0 ! installed super user (updated that via the playstore to superSU V2.46) and then install CyanogenMod 10.1-20140216-NIGHTLY-p4wifi and then gapps-jb-20130129-P75xx.zip

As it stands my GT- P7510 is
andriod version 4.2.2
kernel 3.1.10-cyanogenmod+build01
recovery TWRP 2.2.0

Now id like to install the Twrp2630-wifi zip found in this thread but for the life of me i don't understand how i update TWRP? every video i see talks about using goo manager but that's no longer available? and its alternatives don't recognize my device or version of TWRP. After two days and many, many hours i admit defeat, if some caring soul would please enlighten me, id be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance and apologies if theres a more suitable thread to ask this question

Boot to recovery and flash the new TWRP zip (like you would any other ROM), and then reboot to recovery again in order to load the new version of TWRP.

Although if you're going to restart everything from scratch, you might as well install one of decatf's Lollipop or Marshmallow Roms (he's even ported TWRP 3.0.0.0 to our devices, and his Roms include F2FS support).

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rtiangha For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rtiangha Ad-Free
20th February 2016, 04:52 PM |#1463  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha

Boot to recovery and flash the new TWRP zip (like you would any other ROM), and then reboot to recovery again in order to load the new version of TWRP.

Although if you're going to restart everything from scratch, you might as well install one of decatf's Lollipop or Marshmallow Roms (he's even ported TWRP 3.0.0.0 to our devices, and his Roms include F2FS support).

Thank-you for your swift reply rtiangha. Id thought as much but wasn't entirely sure, thus my post. A quick question or two, firstly, I'm guessing there's no need to perform a wipe before upgrading TWRP (unlike when installing a rom)? and will i see further improvements with one of your above mentioned roms over CyanogenMod Ive installed? (that may sound daft, but bare with me, I'm on a learning curve)

once again, thankyou.
20th February 2016, 05:45 PM |#1464  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethsemane

Thank-you for your swift reply rtiangha. Id thought as much but wasn't entirely sure, thus my post. A quick question or two, firstly, I'm guessing there's no need to perform a wipe before upgrading TWRP (unlike when installing a rom)? and will i see further improvements with one of your above mentioned roms over CyanogenMod Ive installed? (that may sound daft, but bare with me, I'm on a learning curve)

once again, thankyou.

No need to wipe if you're just upgrading TWRP, but you may have to perform a factory reset and perhaps wipe /system if installing one of decatf Roms.

As for improvements, it depends on your definition of it. decatf's Roms are current, which means they have all of Google's latest security patches installed, whereas that CM version you're using is still vulnerable to various security exploits that have never been patched because the ROM has been unmaintained for years.

On the other hand, that version of CM may run faster because the hardware is old and the various proprietary hardware drivers were never updated by Nvidia. However, decatf put in a lot of work in writing wrappers and compatibility layers that allow the newer Roms to interface with the old drivers so his Roms are the best ones to use if you're looking for Lollipop or Marshmallow Roms to try. Still not as fast as running them natively, but faster than running them in software.

His Lollipop ROM runs faster than his Marshmallow one, but while he just updated the Lollipop one, he may no longer do so as he's concentrating on Marshmallow development. So the Marshmallow ROM has a higher likelihood of being maintained over a longer period of time. I've switched over to Marshmallow, but if he were to commit to compiling new Lollipop Roms every time Google issues their monthly Lollipop security patches, I would have probably stuck with Lollipop (still might, since Marshmallow still has a few quirks).

That said, if you're a Gapps user, over time, many Google Apps are becoming incompatible with our device because of its lack of NEON instruction set support. So if you're wondering why certain apps no longer work after updating them, that could be why. So one side benefit of going with the older CM ROM is that there's a higher likelihood that your favourite apps will work with it, because they won't update to newer versions that no longer support JellyBean (althogh that still doesn't guarantee that those apps won't require NEON support, so make sure to back up your favourite apps before upgrading them in case they stop working). But again, if you go that route, you risk leaving yourself open to various unpatched security exploits.

So there are different pros and cons depending on how you want to proceed.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also, if you want to test the various different Roms, decatf also ported over Multirom support to our device (just look for his thread) which allows you to dual or triple boot different Roms. So you could install all three (CM, 5.1 & 6.0) and see which one works best for you before settling on one.

So, lots of options).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtiangha For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rtiangha Ad-Free
20th February 2016, 07:57 PM |#1465  
Thanks Meter: 202

Donate to Me
More
anybody tried flash on marshmallow aosp??
22nd February 2016, 01:33 PM |#1466  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha

No need to wipe if you're just upgrading TWRP, but you may have to perform a factory reset and perhaps wipe /system if installing one of decatf Roms.

As for improvements, it depends on your definition of it. decatf's Roms are current, which means they have all of Google's latest security patches installed, whereas that CM version you're using is still vulnerable to various security exploits that have never been patched because the ROM has been unmaintained for years.

On the other hand, that version of CM may run faster because the hardware is old and the various proprietary hardware drivers were never updated by Nvidia. However, decatf put in a lot of work in writing wrappers and compatibility layers that allow the newer Roms to interface with the old drivers so his Roms are the best ones to use if you're looking for Lollipop or Marshmallow Roms to try. Still not as fast as running them natively, but faster than running them in software.

His Lollipop ROM runs faster than his Marshmallow one, but while he just updated the Lollipop one, he may no longer do so as he's concentrating on Marshmallow development. So the Marshmallow ROM has a higher likelihood of being maintained over a longer period of time. I've switched over to Marshmallow, but if he were to commit to compiling new Lollipop Roms every time Google issues their monthly Lollipop security patches, I would have probably stuck with Lollipop (still might, since Marshmallow still has a few quirks).

That said, if you're a Gapps user, over time, many Google Apps are becoming incompatible with our device because of its lack of NEON instruction set support. So if you're wondering why certain apps no longer work after updating them, that could be why. So one side benefit of going with the older CM ROM is that there's a higher likelihood that your favourite apps will work with it, because they won't update to newer versions that no longer support JellyBean (althogh that still doesn't guarantee that those apps won't require NEON support, so make sure to back up your favourite apps before upgrading them in case they stop working). But again, if you go that route, you risk leaving yourself open to various unpatched security exploits.

So there are different pros and cons depending on how you want to proceed.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also, if you want to test the various different Roms, decatf also ported over Multirom support to our device (just look for his thread) which allows you to dual or triple boot different Roms. So you could install all three (CM, 5.1 & 6.0) and see which one works best for you before settling on one.

So, lots of options).

Once again thankyou rtiangha, for your quick, clear and concise reply. You've helped me a great deal. cheers.
15th January 2018, 04:12 PM |#1467  
Flag Москва
Thanks Meter: 24

More
hello.I need mount custom CWM or TWRP
need root.my P7500 locked user pass
30th November 2019, 05:45 AM |#1468  

More
Is there a tool to unpack and repack boot to be able to edit ramdisk? I've done my own for other devices or did it manually but just wonder if someone here shared it online or knows any existing tool for our Galaxy Tab 10.1? Thanks a lot camelot
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)