92 posts
Thanks Meter: 35

Post Reply Email Thread
11th December 2014, 08:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
After We have Root access, is there a rom We can flash to make this a normal
Tablet?
My kid doesnt like the interface at all.
Just a stock jb 4.1.1?
Thanks much.
5th January 2015, 03:19 AM |#12  
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz

I found another way of waking up adb and getting it to see the "XO Learning Tablet" over USB debugging - I kind of cheated by launching Moborobo :/ but at least I got connected.

Anyhow, after that, I checked with the SRT AppScanner and both existing Master Key vulns were still present on the 4.1.1 build of Android that the tablet ships with. I tried the first option in the Cydia Impactor ("# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su") and had immediate success! Both a shell (which allowed me to su) and activating the Root Explorer in ES File Explorer (after installing SuperSU) worked flawlessly.

Hope this is helpful to folks desiring to root their XO Tablet. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

...i am very new to android mods.. ive modded xbox1 ,360 ,ps3, jb ipods n iphones but never anything android .. kids got xo tablet for Christmas ..2 kids 2 tablets 1 of which .. my oldest daughter .. 7 .. insist her dad can modify anything lol .. i dont want to brick it and a detailed tutorial or at least point me in the right direction would be greatfully appreciated .. ive looked into it with not many results..if u could walk me through the proper procedure on backing up and reinstalling stock im up to try anything and post results
9th March 2016, 04:31 PM |#13  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2161984

...i am very new to android mods.. ive modded xbox1 ,360 ,ps3, jb ipods n iphones but never anything android .. kids got xo tablet for Christmas ..2 kids 2 tablets 1 of which .. my oldest daughter .. 7 .. insist her dad can modify anything lol .. i dont want to brick it and a detailed tutorial or at least point me in the right direction would be greatfully appreciated .. ive looked into it with not many results..if u could walk me through the proper procedure on backing up and reinstalling stock im up to try anything and post results

Did you ever find anything about this? I'm killing myself trying to install cyanogenmod on this tablet after I rooted it.
7th November 2016, 07:26 AM |#14  

More
I'm a little unclear on the appropriate rom to install over the old one. I assume Cyanogenmod, but I can't find the correct version. Any help?
14th December 2017, 07:27 PM |#15  
Flag Pawling
Thanks Meter: 2

More
This really needs a root or firmware if you ever intend on repurposing it. Will have to experiment with ADB and see if I can at least clear out the excess media files. My middle-schooler could probably still make use of it as it is (having a restricted "child" mode might still be a good idea), but would like to clean up the cruft that's not needed (like a lot of undeletable sample files). But yes, if it could also be permanently set to "parent" mode, and I could put MS Launcher on it, that would be nice too.

I actually ended up with 4 of them, two or three that aren't charging. I'm going to open the two that don't charge and see if I can fix that, at which point they could be available for dev work. (now that I re-located my bricked Nabi2, I should send that one out for dev work too).
14th December 2017, 08:51 PM |#16  
Flag Pawling

More
If it's of any use, when it's attached to my Linux box, "lsusb" will report it as this:

Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0bb4:0c02 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.) Dream / ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo (Debug)

"adb devices" shows:
XO8801114002af6
as the device name.

Since I can connect it and am able to navigate through the directories on internal storage, I could pull system information if you tell me what you need.
23rd November 2018, 11:29 PM |#17  
Flag Pawling

More
For something that was supposedly an open-specification device, this tablet is sorely lacking in documentation and other critical information. Wasn't the who purpose of the OLPC project (which was selling this tablet) that it was supposed to be open and customizable? Or was Nicholas Negroponte lying to us?

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Actually, at this point the tablet is garbage. I can't even force it into a factory reset, because I can't get to the bootloader menu. And somehow it has decided to add a secondary password (after the parental password), so there is ***NO*** way to get into a system menu to do a reset from the settings screen. Short of finding a way to short something on the system board, the only thing to do with this thing is to take a sledgehammer to it.

(yeah, it failed just as harshly as the entire OLPC project did, I guess).
5th September 2019, 01:36 AM |#18  
Flag Pawling

More
So I still haven't found an answer to what the deal *IS* with the XO Tablet. It has all the pretensions of being part of the OLPC Project, but unlike the laptop itself, which was an OPEN design, fully specced, available for experimentation and customization, this tablet seems to be much the OPPOSITE of that, being pretty-much undocumented, and no one wants to touch the things.

I mean seriously, I'd be willing to pull an image from a fresh factory-reset system so that someone could experiment with it. I'd send it to someone to hack themselves, but really, the device doesn't exude any noxious odors, it doesn't spontaneously spring out poison-laced spikes, at worst it looks kind-of 'meh' as far as design goes. So you don't have to be afraid to touch one.

(for that matter, I'd also send someone my bricked Nabi 2S (was that the name for the later revision?); it does nothing for me sitting unused in a closet)
2nd December 2019, 10:56 PM |#19  
Flag Pawling

More
From what I was able to get from someone who had worked/still works for the OLPC project, this tablet was something some execttive had pushed through without Engineering's knowledge, and therefore it was little more than a sugar UI slapped on top of a proprietary device. Released under their name, but that's about it.

System information from the "Hardware Info" tool shows:

System (Android 4.1.1)
Model XO Learning tablet
Manufacturer XiangDe
Device PI070H08XO
Product PI070H08XO
Brand Vivitar
Android Version 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)
API Level 16
Build ID JRO03H
Fingerprint Vivitar/PI070H08XO/PI070H08XO:4.1.1/JRO03H/XD-XO-BN-29052013.V010:user/release-keys

Although it will prove to be about as useful as anything else, since the configuration files for it haven't magically sprung out of netherspace.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)