FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,276

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th December 2019, 07:26 PM |#11901  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Mate, the Note 8 Pro is praised a lot on youtube. Some even call it the best phone of the year. Of course it doesnt have a custom rom yet, the phone has barely been 2 months out. What do you expect ? Two months and it already has twrp and root guides. I can bet there are gonna be some roms surely in February at least. Xiaomi has a nice relationship with developers after all.

Even the Oneplus 6T, launched in october 2018, had the first roms in december 2018 - january 2019.

Sorry mate, I thought Note 8 was released a long ago. I bought one Note 7 Pro very long ago and at that time I read some news on 8 Pro, so I thought 8 Pro is an old one. I just checked the Note 7 Pro's ROMs thread and found too many official ROM releases. That's a great.

I just read the features of Note 8 Pro and it is a very impressive phone. But two things I dislike is that the processor is MediaTek (why they choose this one instead of 730 or something?) and the display is IPS, not an AMOLED.
The Following User Says Thank You to niyonsv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift niyonsv Ad-Free
12th December 2019, 10:05 AM |#11902  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
help to choice
hi everyone, i need a tablet to root for to play games wich model economic i could buy
12th December 2019, 12:04 PM |#11903  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santi turi

hi everyone, i need a tablet to root for to play games wich model economic i could buy

Why do you need root ? With root you at most can get around 20% more performance. Cheap tablet with root are still bad for gaming. Buy something like Samsung tab s4.
12th December 2019, 05:38 PM |#11904  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santi turi

Huawei Honor pad 5?
13th December 2019, 06:22 AM |#11905  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsongming

The Xiaomi Mi9 is probably one of the best deals that you can find right now and it has flagship specs across the board :
At $349, you will probably not be able to find a better phone for the money. https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-64GB-6...5378368&sr=8-1

If you want to spend a little less you can get the Mi8 right now for about$250 and it has 2018's flagship specs.
https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-6-64GB...5378915&sr=8-1

The camera's on both of these devices are absolutely stellar, both phones will play any game out there and both get incredible good battery life. The only real drawback is a 2 week wait to be able to unlock the bootloader. Outside of that I highly recommend both phones. If you want to spend a little more, at the moment you can find some great deals on One Plus and Pixel. But you will spend around $500 and both phones are truly no better , or much better than the Xiaomi phones.

I very much like that first one there and it is definitely within my price range. As long as I don't go over $500, I'll be okay. Forgive the noob questions. It's an unlocked phone, meaning I can use it with any service, including Boost? I always just bought Boost phones before. Also, I noticed it does not have an external storage to plug my sd card into. I don't know that it would specifically be a problem but one of the main things I use my phone for is connecting to my car with bluetooth and playing music while I am out driving Uber. As long as this phone has plenty of internal storage space and I can transfer all my mp3 from my computer to the phone, I don't specifically need the sd card. Also, can I play mp3s on these new phones or are they set up now where you can only play music you buy through a service? Cause that would be an absolute dealbreaker. Gotta have my tunes and I do not want to pay for the thousands of mp3s I already have.
13th December 2019, 08:48 AM |#11906  
Thanks Meter: 3,083

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Tater

I very much like that first one there and it is definitely within my price range. As long as I don't go over $500, I'll be okay. Forgive the noob questions. It's an unlocked phone, meaning I can use it with any service, including Boost? I always just bought Boost phones before. Also, I noticed it does not have an external storage to plug my sd card into. I don't know that it would specifically be a problem but one of the main things I use my phone for is connecting to my car with bluetooth and playing music while I am out driving Uber. As long as this phone has plenty of internal storage space and I can transfer all my mp3 from my computer to the phone, I don't specifically need the sd card. Also, can I play mp3s on these new phones or are they set up now where you can only play music you buy through a service? Cause that would be an absolute dealbreaker. Gotta have my tunes and I do not want to pay for the thousands of mp3s I already have.

Unfortunately Boost is owned by Sprint uses mostly CDMA Frequencies, and a very limited range of LTE bands. Although many unlocked phones will have some compatible LTE bands, not many have compatible CDMA frequencies. In fact, you will have a hard time buying any unlocked phones that work with CDMA ( Sprint and verizon)

Here is something else that you should know. There is a federal mandate which is making Sprint and verizon switch to LTE and leave CDMA so the CDMA bands can be used specifically for government use such as Police, Firefighters ambulance etc.

Read about that here : https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/
and more here: https://www.quora.com/When-are-mobil...-a-large-scale

Boost currently uses these bands:
Frequency Bands

LTE
  1. B25 (1900 +)
  2. B26 (850 +)
  3. B41 (TD 2500)

CDMA
BC0 (800)
BC1 (1900 PCS)

The Global version of the Xiaomi Mi 9 is called Battle Angel : It only supports 1 band for Boost. So Yes, it will work. but not very well.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...utf8=%E2%9C%93

If you would like to get away from the crappy locked, overpriced phones offered by current CDMA carriers such as Verizon, Sprint and their subsidiaries such as Boost, Virgin etc, Then Migrate to Tmobile of ATT.

Not only do you have the option of At&T and Tmobile. But there are countless subsidiaries and "MVNO" carriers that use their network. You can find pricing just as good as what you are currently paying and you will have a lot more options with what phones you can use, whether or not they are unlocked ( meaning working with any carrier) and whether or not the bootloader is unlockable. Which allows you to use custom roms, or improved custom versions of the stock software.

Absolutely the Mi9 is a fantastic phone, just not on the Boost network.

Use the frequency check page that I linked above to help you. Always check that the bands are compatible with your carrier and if buying a Xiaomi, or any other brand make sure that it is a Global device, and not made specifically for Asia. Global devices have Frequencies for the US, Canada, South America, Europe etc.

Good Luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsongming For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tsongming Ad-Free
13th December 2019, 10:15 AM |#11907  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Why do you need root ? With root you at most can get around 20% more performance. Cheap tablet with root are still bad for gaming. Buy something like Samsung tab s4.

any mod games dont work without root and lucky patcher
14th December 2019, 08:01 AM |#11908  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsongming

Unfortunately Boost is owned by Sprint uses mostly CDMA Frequencies, and a very limited range of LTE bands. Although many unlocked phones will have some compatible LTE bands, not many have compatible CDMA frequencies. In fact, you will have a hard time buying any unlocked phones that work with CDMA ( Sprint and verizon)

Here is something else that you should know. There is a federal mandate which is making Sprint and verizon switch to LTE and leave CDMA so the CDMA bands can be used specifically for government use such as Police, Firefighters ambulance etc.

Read about that here : https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/
and more here: https://www.quora.com/When-are-mobil...-a-large-scale

Boost currently uses these bands:
Frequency Bands

LTE

1. B25 (1900 +)
  2. B26 (850 +)
  3. B41 (TD 2500)

CDMA
BC0 (800)
BC1 (1900 PCS)

The Global version of the Xiaomi Mi 9 is called Battle Angel : It only supports 1 band for Boost. So Yes, it will work. but not very well.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...utf8=%E2%9C%93

If you would like to get away from the crappy locked, overpriced phones offered by current CDMA carriers such as Verizon, Sprint and their subsidiaries such as Boost, Virgin etc, Then Migrate to Tmobile of ATT.

Not only do you have the option of At&T and Tmobile. But there are countless subsidiaries and "MVNO" carriers that use their network. You can find pricing just as good as what you are currently paying and you will have a lot more options with what phones you can use, whether or not they are unlocked ( meaning working with any carrier) and whether or not the bootloader is unlockable. Which allows you to use custom roms, or improved custom versions of the stock software.

Absolutely the Mi9 is a fantastic phone, just not on the Boost network.

Use the frequency check page that I linked above to help you. Always check that the bands are compatible with your carrier and if buying a Xiaomi, or any other brand make sure that it is a Global device, and not made specifically for Asia. Global devices have Frequencies for the US, Canada, South America, Europe etc.

Good Luck.

I don't *have* to keep Boost. I've just had them a long time and they only charge me $35 a month. One of the other things I like about Boost is that my legal name is not attached to the account and I kinda like that. Ya never know who might try to track you down with your phone info. It's not a dealbreaker though.

So anyways... you seem willing to help walk me through this process and you obviously know what you are talking about. I'll happily pay you for your time if you'll keep advising me through the buying then rooting process. I put in a little something to get us started but I am very willing to continue donating throughout. I have never gotten a pricey phone before and I wanna make sure I get this right. Your help is worth my money.

Another quick question... is it possible to block all ads on phones? Cause I love the hell out of my browser adblockers.

I'll continue researching the links you provided in the meantime.
14th December 2019, 09:54 AM |#11909  
Thanks Meter: 3,083

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Tater

I don't *have* to keep Boost. I've just had them a long time and they only charge me $35 a month. One of the other things I like about Boost is that my legal name is not attached to the account and I kinda like that. Ya never know who might try to track you down with your phone info. It's not a dealbreaker though.

So anyways... you seem willing to help walk me through this process and you obviously know what you are talking about. I'll happily pay you for your time if you'll keep advising me through the buying then rooting process. I put in a little something to get us started but I am very willing to continue donating throughout. I have never gotten a pricey phone before and I wanna make sure I get this right. Your help is worth my money.

Another quick question... is it possible to block all ads on phones? Cause I love the hell out of my browser adblockers.

I'll continue researching the links you provided in the meantime.

Thank you!

Your appreciation is very motivating, and anything that you need just let me know.

Also you can message me privately here on XDA, I check my XDA messages several times everyday and I will certainly help you through every step.

To answer you question about ads:
Absolutely you can completely block ads, and never see any ads whatsoever, ( I have not see any ads on any of my devices for years) You will not even see the black boxes that are sometimes left when using firewall ad blocking. By the way, Xiaomi phones are excellent at fully blocking ads, and excellent for customization, the cameras are outstanding and in addition to the stock Cam you can also use the ported Pixel Camera which does some things better than any camera.

I will send you a friend request through XDA, to make it easier to contact me privately.
I am going to sleep now. but I will talk to you soon.

Tony
15th December 2019, 04:44 AM |#11910  

More
Whelp. I am looking for a new phone and need some help.
I would not think what I want is that complicated but it ended up being that way.

Basically I have a google pixel 2 that is okay. But I have replaced it 4 times under warranty and it is finally paid off so I can replace it while it is still worth a little money.
My biggest issues I ever had with the phone (other than reliability) was the lack of a headphone jack and wireless charging.

I think the perfect phone is the Note 9 (if not a little bit big). I tried to buy one last week on Ebay that said it was new, but it turned out to be a year old and it is getting refunded. I have a hard time paying $800 for a new one being that it is older now (maybe $600 max for a new one).

But these are the things I would like:
Water proof (IPS68 I believe it is the current norm for phones)
Headphone jack
No hole punched out for a front camera (a chin bar would be okay if needed, like the iphone bar for example)
Fingerprint reader on the back
A camera comparable to the Pixel 2
Battery life of the Pixel 2 or better
Wireless charging
USB Type C
Always on display (or at least a LED notification light)
Work on Verizon

I do not play games on the phone or anything intensive. But I use the camera at work to take pictures of parts, the GPS on the motorcycle (hence the water resistance and battery life plus I stream lots of music), and the always on display is important because then I dont need to touch the phone to check for messages.

I dont really have a budget, but I care more about value than anything else. I dont mind spending $1,100 if it is truly perfect, but if it has compromises I then that is a problem.

Are there other options I dont know about?

Edit
Found a new note 9 for a reasonable price. If it is new then I should be good.
15th December 2019, 06:33 AM |#11911  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I need a new phone soon, Redmi Note 8 Pro is a no go unless, I don't care about development support.
From what I know, all the good developers (Xiaomi EU, MiuiMix, etc.) have given up on Mediatek chip and rightfully so.
I feel bummed because for the specs, the Redmi Note 8 Pro is priced extremely good however, I'm not content with just root.
So I'm now trying to decide between the slower Redmi Note 8 or more expensive but not faster Redmi K30.

*Please don't tell me there's going to be development support for the Redmi Note 8 Pro and the phone is just too new right now (I have my sources).*
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)