Thanks Meter: 3

By radioham, Junior Member on 7th May 2017, 07:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th October 2019, 01:09 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismereKnight

MxPlayer washes out x265 hdr videos. Stock player can't play x265 hdr mkv or even 10bit 1080p x265 video.

So far i haven't discovered any player that supports actual hdr playback without washed out colors for x265 mkv videos for note 8.

Nothing wrong with MX Player in my S10+. It plays 10-bit HDR10 4K HEVC just fine (HW+ enabled). Video output look the same in the stock player and MX Player.
4th November 2019, 05:51 PM |#62  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

MxPlayer washes out x265 hdr videos. Stock player can't play x265 hdr mkv or even 10bit 1080p x265 video.

So far i haven't discovered any player that supports actual hdr playback without washed out colors for x265 mkv videos for note 8.

Have you had any luck with this?
5th November 2019, 05:53 AM |#63  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ub3rx

Have you had any luck with this?

Yea. Properly encoded HDR files play as expected. Like tigole prints, Atomos etc... psarips doesn't work because they add hdr metadata after the conversion. So yea, 4K x265 HDR works in MX and Stock Player.
19th December 2019, 12:34 PM |#64  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cio321

Nothing wrong with MX Player in my S10+. It plays 10-bit HDR10 4K HEVC just fine (HW+ enabled). Video output look the same in the stock player and MX Player.

Well, my Note10+ N9760 does have something wrong while playing some HDR videos. Biggest wrong thing is that the red color is washed out a lot that once you see you can easily and definitely tell something with the color is not right.

For example, the movies <Big Hero 6> and <Zootopia>, Baymax's red armor is so pale that it's not even red anymore but like red plastic sunburned for years, and when the child Judy rabbit screams "blood! blood! blood!" on the stage at the very beginning of the Zootopia movie, the red ribbons and ketchup clearly do not look like blood's color.
19th December 2019, 02:29 PM |#65  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cio321

Quote:

Yea. Properly encoded HDR files play as expected. Like tigole prints, Atomos etc... psarips doesn't work because they add hdr metadata after the conversion. So yea, 4K x265 HDR works in MX and Stock Player.

Well, I'm not sure whether it's the files to blame. As I mentioned above, my Note10+ N9760 Snapdragon does have something wrong while playing some HDR videos some of which are released by Tigole or TERMiNAL as listed below. It's also the same case with my Note8 N950N Exynos.
Big Hero 6 (2014) (2160p BluRay x265 10bit HDR Tigole).mkv
Big.Hero.6.2014.2160p.UHD.BluRay.x265-TERMiNAL.mkv
Zootopia (2016) (2160p BluRay x265 10bit HDR Tigole).mkv
Venom (2018) (2160p BluRay x265 10bit HDR Tigole).mkv

The easiest spotted problem is the red color cos it looks like the red is reduced by almost 30% to 40%, though other colors also look washed out but not so distinguishable to me as the red color.

Actually, the sad thing I have just found out is that even the HDR10 movies that I always thought played perfectly with MX Player Pro on my Note10+ because the brightness is so high such as <The Secret Life of Pets> #1 and #2 are actually not played in the right color!!! I just compared them with their regular non-HDR version. The red color is sadly surprisingly still somewhat paler with the HDR playback!!! Red looks about 10% reduced. Not so bad as other HDR movies so you don't instantly tell or even see it as correctly played because the excellent brightness cheated you into believing so until you compare the movies with both their HDR version and non-HDR together. So really this leads me to feel no HDR movie is completely supported on cellphone yet.
The Secret Life of Pets (2016) (2160p BluRay x265 10bit HDR Tigole).mkv
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) (2160p BluRay x265 10bit HDR Tigole).mkv

For example, The Secret Life of Pets (2016), check 00:06:25~00:06:45 the red stand mixer machine used as a massage machine by the sausage dog. Not really red. (Looks to you quite real red? Try compare it and you 'll see)

It's the same case when the same HDR movie's playback is compared between my Note10+ and my computer.

Yet, I do still find all the 10 demo HDR videos I have are perfectly played back on my Note10+ with MX Player Pro. Red is genuine red, not even a little less as played on my computer. Besides, the brightness is way higher than the HDR movies though the HDR movies are for sure correctly recognized as HDR and do have brightness boosted. But they are just not boosted the same. Like the demo videos doubled the brightness while HDR movies just jumped 50% higher than regular full brightness.
[email protected]@ High.ts
LG.4K.DEMO_NASA-HDR.mp4
Sony 4K HDR Demo - Mont Blanc.mp4
Samsung 4K HDR Demo - Wonderland 1.ts
Sony Swordsmith HDR UHD 4K Demo.mp4
(Got this one here from this thread)
ETC.

One more thing is that I got HDR of Fast.and.Furious.Presents.Hobbs.and.Shaw from PSA, and this video file does the best job with the color reproduction. I couldn't sense red color being any problem but do find very slight variation on red when compared side by side. Less than about 5%. The variation is so little I tend to think it's supposed to be right. But still the brightness is not excellent.
Fast.and.Furious.Presents.Hobbs.and.Shaw.2019.2160 p.HDR10Plus.BluRay.8CH.PSA.mkv

So, I don't know what's the cause and reasoning. Seems very complicated. But when it comes to HDR movie files, I do tend to believe that it does not make any difference which team group released the mkv file. The source file, such as the remux file, is probably what makes the difference.

HDR on cellphone is more like a demo function. HDR movies are still not fully supported.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)