FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

23,400 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,018
 
By Fallen Spartan, Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy on 12th November 2012, 12:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th December 2019, 04:03 PM |#3191  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 391
 
More
Fixed:
Is there really a need preventing the search.php being accessible without passing specific referrer?

Which has made searching in the forum quite cumbersome...
17th December 2019, 06:46 AM |#3192  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,237
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man

OK I can now reproduce your issue even using Chrome, the culprit is not our respective configurations, it is the used XDA theme!
Using Chrome on my PC:

1- your URL has 404 error: https://forum.xda-cdn.com/images/attach/log.gif

2- the URL I personally get when I open a thumbnail on a new tab is: https://cdn-cf-1.xda-developers.com/...attach/log.gif

You can see your URL and my URL are not the same, it is different because we do not use the same XDA theme.

2015 and 2015 dark theme have no issue regarding the thumbnails but the other themes have it (for instance I tried 2010 and 2013 themes and I get the 404 error like you). I will report it to the server admin.

FYI: I did a post a few days ago, and the same 404 error happened when I attached a log file.

My next part is more of a general question. I know that requesting ETA's is either against the rules (Couldn't find reference in the rules. https://forum.xda-developers.com/announcement.php?a=81), or is simply frowned upon. Is it "OK" to request a new release, without actually explicitly asking for a date?
17th December 2019, 08:17 AM |#3193  
Wood Man's Avatar
Moderator Committee Lead / RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / XDA Labs Contributor
Thanks Meter: 20,261
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

FYI: I did a post a few days ago, and the same 404 error happened when I attached a log file.

Yes this thumbnail 404 error is happening with older themes but not with 2015 ones. I did report it to the server admin though but I had no reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

...
My next part is more of a general question. I know that requesting ETA's is either against the rules (Couldn't find reference in the rules. https://forum.xda-developers.com/announcement.php?a=81), or is simply frowned upon. Is it "OK" to request a new release, without actually explicitly asking for a date?

It is all about the intention: asking for ETAs or asking for a new release, with or without a date, is not against the XDA rules per se, what is against the rules is being disrespectful (rule 2).
So if someone is aking for ETAs or for a new release:
- a rude manner, it is against the rules. Please report.
- a kind or innocent manner, it is not against the rules. No need to report unless next answers following the request are nasty and/or are cluttering the thread too much.
- NOT a rude manner but the OP is not OK with it, the OP him/herself should report the user for off-topic.

it all depends on the context and the intention behind the post.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
26th December 2019, 01:33 PM |#3194  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,237
 
More
I just had a thought today. One of my pet peeves (and I know I am not the only one) is when a user quotes the whole OP, to ask a question not specifically about anything within the OP they just quoted.

I was thinking, if the "reply" and "multiquote" etc were removed on the OP, then it would really cut-down on how often it happens. I can see how that could affect the thinking user, which wishes to quote a specific section of the OP, but I think I see the problem, more often that the later. Also, the problem affects many more people than the single user miffed that he has to manually create a quote.

Another idea, (although I think I have read that hiding fails on the app version) is to create any quote of the OP with the HIDDEN tags pre and post fixed to the quote.

Another option (to give the bulk quote'r something to click-on) would be to make those buttons only quote the first 100 or so characters.

Just some thoughts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
26th December 2019, 02:01 PM |#3195  
Oswald Boelcke's Avatar
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
Thanks Meter: 8,850
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

I just had a thought today. One of my pet peeves (and I know I am not the only one) is when a user quotes the whole OP, to ask a question not specifically about anything within the OP they just quoted.

I was thinking, if the "reply" and "multiquote" etc were removed on the OP, then it would really cut-down on how often it happens. I can see how that could affect the thinking user, which wishes to quote a specific section of the OP, but I think I see the problem, more often that the later. Also, the problem affects many more people than the single user miffed that he has to manually create a quote.

Another idea, (although I think I have read that hiding fails on the app version) is to create any quote of the OP with the HIDDEN tags pre and post fixed to the quote.

Another option (to give the bulk quote'r something to click-on) would be to make those buttons only quote the first 100 or so characters.

Just some thoughts.

Generally, a great idea in my opinion; however, I don't know how easily this can be implemented and in turn if it's then the work worth. I see this in light of another option - to just report such posts via the report function. Easily done and certainly effective in a usually timely manner; the moderators' team is happy to assist.
And you're also correct, hide tags should actually be used more often; but again however, they aren't effective e.g. in XDA Labs i.e. on small screens of a mobile the problem persists. I also don't see how the idea with the hide tags could be implemented in XDA Labs i.e. if somebody quotes an OP via XDA Labs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
27th December 2019, 12:08 AM |#3197  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,237
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

Generally, a great idea in my opinion; however, I don't know how easily this can be implemented and in turn if it's then the work worth.

Totally understand, and I also cant see the source or how much manpower they have, and as such it was simply a suggestion. The time saved in comparison to manually responding to reports and manual labor to fix each post I (and others) report, may possibly be better spent with a one off automated fix that catches 90% of cases before they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

I see this in light of another option - to just report such posts via the report function. Easily done and certainly effective in a usually timely manner; the moderators' team is happy to assist.

That's exactly why I suggested it as politely as I could. I find that I personally am reporting these types of issues way too frequently, with the possibility it would be a relatively easy fix to stop it at source. Obviously I don't follow every thread, so there would be many other threads with the issue that I am not reading. However, a couple of threads I do follow have very large OP';s that people have a tendency to quote simply to ask question not specific to the details in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

And you're also correct, hide tags should actually be used more often; but again however, they aren't effective e.g. in XDA Labs i.e. on small screens of a mobile the pzroblem persists. I also don't see how the idea with the hide tags could be implemented in XDA Labs i.e. if somebody quotes an OP via XDA Labs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

Maybe truncate quotes to a Max of 160 characters.

Or something

Edit: 160 still too long maybe 60?

That would be possibly causing careful posters extra work. I often quote a long post but then edit the quote down to a minimum and include the text "...snip..." where I have edited the quote so no one feels I have taken something out of context, and they will know to read the quoted post for the full details. Limiting it to 60 chars would almost make the quote feature useless as many times its the last paragraph or middle section that I would be responding to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
27th December 2019, 01:22 AM |#3198  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

I just had a thought today. One of my pet peeves (and I know I am not the only one) is when a user quotes the whole OP, to ask a question not specifically about anything within the OP they just quoted.

I was thinking, if the "reply" and "multiquote" etc were removed on the OP, then it would really cut-down on how often it happens. I can see how that could affect the thinking user, which wishes to quote a specific section of the OP, but I think I see the problem, more often that the later. Also, the problem affects many more people than the single user miffed that he has to manually create a quote.

Another idea, (although I think I have read that hiding fails on the app version) is to create any quote of the OP with the HIDDEN tags pre and post fixed to the quote.

Another option (to give the bulk quote'r something to click-on) would be to make those buttons only quote the first 100 or so characters.

Just some thoughts.

Hi!

As an active SM, I'm all over this forum multiple times per day. I can assure you that this doesn't happen as often as you think it might. Also, it's quite easy to just report it when it does happen and xda Moderator staff will edit the offending posts to either hide or remove the full OP quote. Also, if you'd rather not report, a quicker fix would be to just send me a PM with a link to the post and I'll fix it right up for you. My inbox is always open! I just don't think it's that much of an issue that we need to be considering adding filters and quote limitations. It really is a simple job for a Moderator to fix the post and then educate the offender.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thanos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thanos Ad-Free
27th December 2019, 02:31 AM |#3199  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,237
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos

As an active SM, I'm all over this forum multiple times per day. I can assure you that this doesn't happen as often as you think it might. Also, it's quite easy to just report it when it does happen and xda Moderator staff will edit the offending posts to either hide or remove the full OP quote. Also, if you'd rather not report, a quicker fix would be to just send me a PM with a link to the post and I'll fix it right up for you. My inbox is always open! I just don't think it's that much of an issue that we need to be considering adding filters and quote limitations. It really is a simple job for a Moderator to fix the post and then educate the offender.

Clearly, I read threads that this happens on more than other threads Thanks for the "PM" offer, but I think the report method is just or even easier than PM'ing you directly, for both you and me. And it is all about me . And to be clear, when I report it, it gets corrected fairly quickly, but I have already been bothered by it (again, its all about me)
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
Today, 09:59 AM |#3200  
2ISAB's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 163
 
More
what is XDA waiting for to join UHIVE?

Android Authority has their own space already

for anyone wanting a promo code send me a PM. but I'm not here to promote my space on UHIVE, just being flexible.

I've looked for anything related and i have sad face now

is.gd/UTlRdl

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

More info
https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/uhive-ico-hve-token
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes