Pirate Skirmish - My first real game

Search This thread

m2tt

Aug 13, 2009
I just published the demo for my first attempt at a decent Android game...it was developed on a G1, on which it's barely playable, but I'm really interested to know how/if it performs on other devices. If you're bored please take a look.

There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in the AI and general optimization, but I really want to make sure I get any stability issues cleared up before I go digging through that code again, I'm still open to criticism/suggestions, though!

If you are able to get it to crash, please give me as much detail as you can.

Attachments

• piratesqr.png
    piratesqr.png
    659 bytes · Views: 299
  • device2.png
    device2.png
    75 KB · Views: 737
  • device12.jpg
    device12.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 535
  • pirateskirmish.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: ink718

MacaronyMax

Aug 27, 2008
Oxford
Niiice will download now :D
Edit Pretty good game actualy :D (oh and btw im first rating and comment :L :p )

Last edited:
A

alexluckett

Looks good, not bad :D! Graphics could be improved here and there, but it's a good concept :)! Looking forward to the finished game.

Last edited:

m2tt

Aug 13, 2009
Thanks guys! Yeah I'm really not much of an artist, I don't consider them final, but I don't know that I'll be able to improve on them much either :) My big plans for the full version are a lot more maps, a few more special attacks, improved AI, and multiplayer if I'm able to get it sorted out.

ink718

Jan 30, 2008
NYC
So how do i get this game on my Hero? Just take a picture of that barcode picture and then what?

m2tt

Aug 13, 2009
Has potential, it hangs up my moto droid. Hard to negotiate between screesn.

Does it hang during gameplay itself or during the map loading screen? I'm halfway through a complete re-write of the AI that I hope will improve the framerate (right now the pathfinding alone takes something like 60% of the G1's CPU)

So how do i get this game on my Hero? Just take a picture of that barcode picture and then what?

If you have the barcode scanner or goggles app you can scan that image which translates to a market link, or just search for Pirate Skirmish on the market

Chrinik

Sep 23, 2009
Orlando, FL
Awesome Concept!

Works flawlessly on my EVO. I do agree that the graphics could use a little sprucin' but overall the concept is what sets it apart. And multiplayer would make me like the happiest person alive! :D

Great game, keep up the amazing work!

Brantyr

Jul 30, 2009
Adelaide
Works nicely on my Galaxy S, no issues/bugs, a few comments

- green highlighting around which ship you've currently selected is too hard to see
- perhaps require a double-tap to change ship
- maybe slow down gamespeed a little, it's a bit hard to micro.

Last edited:

alovell83

Jun 29, 2010
Lippstadt
You could use an exit method, at least back doesn't work on my SGS. Also, a write up, at least something brief on how things work would be lovely, at least if you don't want to turn-off the average Android person who stumbles upon your game.

sp3a12uk

Aug 14, 2009
Bay Area
I just installed the game on my an Evo and it works.

Suggestions:

- Instructions on how to play, move, goals.
- The two player mode was hard navigate. Attempting to select the second player brought the first player to the second players location. Confirming movement when over a second player would be a plus.
- Background sound, maybe waves, music, ocean sound.
- Instead of pumping up the graphics, keep it simple, but decorate the maps.
- Add a story plot at the intro.

Well thats my opinion, love the work, I hope we'll see more. Thanks for sharing.

m2tt

Aug 13, 2009
Great feedback guys, thanks! I've whipped up a How-to guide and posted it on the site (I can't post links yet I guess, but you can get to it from the market)

alovell83, the back button issue should be fixed in 1.3, can you confirm if you're still having issues after upgrading? (Actually introduced a new bug in the process, now it's a little too eager to quit when the back button is hit)

I think it's time I get to work on a settings menu, since everyone is going to have a different preference, so far I'm thinking adjustable HUD/icon sizes, ship selection method (tap, double tap, long press), and game speed. Any other suggestions?

I'm also planning to add a few new special items in the near future. I've got a couple ideas, but if anyone has suggestions for this, now's the time!

Back to the graphics, the castle graphic is probably the best example of what I'm ultimately aiming for, clean and simple...but throwing in some terrain decorations is a good idea, and I'm sure it will help a lot towards bringing the maps to life.

leadfoot9281

Aug 19, 2010
Mobile,Al
Well it works good so far on the hero. And I have seen apps way worse that you have to pay for. So by the time your done I'm sure it will be great.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

m2tt

Aug 13, 2009
Sure thing, here is the .apk for version 1.3.2 just published including the How to Play link from the main menu, thanks again everyone.

Since 1.3.1 I haven't seen any crashes in the dev console, but as far as I know these only show up for 2.2 devices. So again, if anyone is getting a repeatable crash, please send me the logcat output and a quick description of how you caused it. If you don't have adb installed on your computer there is another great app called Catlog in the market that will let you save and send logs from your phone.

Last edited:

thesecondsfade

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
Awesome, thanks! I'll report back after trying it out a bit.

Update: I got a "This application closed unexpectedly" within a minute or so... I was trying to attack a castle and I was tapping it over and over. I am on 2.2 using a Desire ROM by mattc on an HD2. HD2 normally doesn't have any issues that standard Android devices don't have, but who knows depending on how the app works... I don't have ADB, but I'll go get Catalog and send logs if I can figure it out.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just published the demo for my first attempt at a decent Android game...it was developed on a G1, on which it's barely playable, but I'm really interested to know how/if it performs on other devices. If you're bored please take a look.

There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in the AI and general optimization, but I really want to make sure I get any stability issues cleared up before I go digging through that code again, I'm still open to criticism/suggestions, though!

If you are able to get it to crash, please give me as much detail as you can.