FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,276

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd January 2020, 11:28 PM |#11951  
Thanks Meter: 239

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Does android 10 brings more battery optimization than android 9 mate?

I couldn't tell you for sure, I'm expecting it to be the same. I had a pixel XL for a few months with Android 10 and 9 and it had the same battery life on both versions (much worse than the OnePlus 5). I had the OnePlus 5 on Android 7,8 and now 9, it's always been the same. I can't kill it in a day unless I really try. 6-7 hours screen on time with heavy usage (not gaming).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrocketdog

ok , just looking for some opinions (and why if not too much trouble).
a galaxy s4 (extSD , removable batt.{and can get 3200 mAh replacement} , can still get kk {my fav.} , easily rootable and still some development for it.
OR
a xperia z5 compact (extSD , stereo speakers , can stay at or below N , a wee bit harder to root. but not much).
either for almost the same price. do not care about camera quality. both are small which i'm looking for.
what think xda fam?

I'd go with Sony out of those 2. KitKat was good back in the day but probably not a good daily driver today.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to 350Rocket For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 350Rocket Ad-Free
8th January 2020, 03:17 PM |#11952  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello, I'd like to change my mobile during this year or the next one. I don't want to buy a flagship, I'm currently using a Lenovo P2 that I bought used from warehouse deals on amazon for 220€ (perfect condition) 1 year and half ago. So I don't mind even buying used.

The main spec that the phone must have are:

1080p
microsd slot
at least 5000mah battery (love the 9-11 hours SOT)
Unlockable bootloader for custom rom

Would be nice to have but not mandatory:
removable battery
headphone jack
9th January 2020, 09:38 AM |#11953  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello, I would like to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S5 to a phone that meets the following criteria:
My gripe with my current phone is that it is feels too slow at times (lags while browsing Reddit on Chrome), battery life being so short (doesn't last more than a day), and my phone not receiving any software updates. I don't require very powerful hardware; my main activities are listening to music, using Chrome, using GPS, calling , and texting.

My main concern is software updates. I can deal with short battery by buying a portable charger and having the Reddit website lag on me does get frequently annoying which I can just deal with but not having any software updates does worry me. I would also like to use this phone as my main phone for as long as possible which is why I would like good ROM support. I do understand that $150 is on the cheap side but so I am willing spend more if I have to but I would like to stay as low as possible.
9th January 2020, 10:12 AM |#11954  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello! I'm thinking of buying a UMDIGI X and POWER 3 phone. Which one would be better? Root option desired!
9th January 2020, 10:59 AM |#11955  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthemajor

Hello, I'd like to change my mobile during this year or the next one. I don't want to buy a flagship, I'm currently using a Lenovo P2 that I bought used from warehouse deals on amazon for 220€ (perfect condition) 1 year and half ago. So I don't mind even buying used.

The main spec that the phone must have are:

1080p
microsd slot
at least 5000mah battery (love the 9-11 hours SOT)
Unlockable bootloader for custom rom

Would be nice to have but not mandatory:
removable battery
headphone jack

Mate, i would recommend the Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Full HD, battery (4500 mah) holds me for 2 days, with some moderate to high usage, between spotify and some game apps, like asphalt. It has micro sd slot, the bootloader is getting unlocked pretty easy. So far no custom roms yet ( the phone got released in October. His predecessor has around 15 different custom roms. So i expect the same will happen. Priced around 220 € on Christmas. Could be cheaper now

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozumi70

Hello! I'm thinking of buying a UMDIGI X and POWER 3 phone. Which one would be better? Root option desired!

Mate, both phone seems kind of bad for 2020. If the year would be 2015, they would be interesting. With 4 gb of ram you are going to have problems. Battery life seems great on paper, doubt its gonna be. Plus i havent heard of these phones before. I would stay clear of these cheap brands. Go with something more trustworthy. Recently i ve bought a Xiaomi Note 8 pro. 2 days battery, can play whatever i want, root, custom roms available, around 200€. Might be pricier, but xiaomi is a more reliable phone manufacturer.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flahlesslySpam

Hello, I would like to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S5 to a phone that meets the following criteria:
Works with Verizon in the USA
under $150, willing to buy either used or new
has good ROM support (such as the Nexus 5x from this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...port-t4030503)

My gripe with my current phone is that it is feels too slow at times (lags while browsing Reddit on Chrome), battery life being so short (doesn't last more than a day), and my phone not receiving any software updates. I don't require very powerful hardware; my main activities are listening to music, using Chrome, using GPS, calling , and texting.

My main concern is software updates. I can deal with short battery by buying a portable charger and having the Reddit website lag on me does get frequently annoying which I can just deal with but not having any software updates does worry me. I would also like to use this phone as my main phone for as long as possible which is why I would like good ROM support. I do understand that $150 is on the cheap side but so I am willing spend more if I have to but I would like to stay as low as possible.

Mate, have you tried rooting and using a custom rom with it? Give it a try before buying a new phone. Most of the time, custom roms developers do make security updates and software updates. There might even be a Android 10 rom for your phone. Also, these custom roms do come with a very detailed instructions. So you are going to be set in no time.
10th January 2020, 09:16 AM |#11956  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Mate, have you tried rooting and using a custom rom with it? Give it a try before buying a new phone. Most of the time, custom roms developers do make security updates and software updates. There might even be a Android 10 rom for your phone. Also, these custom roms do come with a very detailed instructions. So you are going to be set in no time.

Thanks for the advice! I am planning on trying to root and using a custom rom with it and hopefully I succeed but the galaxy s5 I have is the smg900v which is the Verizon version of the phone. From my research and my limited understanding, this version of the phone doesn't have too great support for rooting cause the bootloader is locked or something. It's also part of why I want to get a different phone, so that I could have an easier time figuring out how to install different roms.
11th January 2020, 04:13 AM |#11957  
Flag Crescent
Thanks Meter: 167

More
I just got a Xiaomi mi mix 2 for 140 near mint and it is my favorite device yet! Bought this one off Swappa. I have been nothing but impressed thus far! Xiaomi is a great company! And MIUI has come a long way. Using MIUI 11 now but going to unlock bootloader and flash HAVOC and or Bootleggers 10 in a few. Kick ass phone!!

I believe for my next device I'll get a newer Xiaomi, maybe a Mi 9T or possibly a newer Pixel 4a depending on how that turns out, maybe a 3a. You just can't beat the gcam (camera px) mods and the quality of pictures a pixel phone takes and I take lots of pics. This Xiaomi sure has impressed me though! Good stuff!
12th January 2020, 11:05 AM |#11958  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,229

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash713

I just got a Xiaomi mi mix 2 for 140 near mint and it is my favorite device yet! Bought this one off Swappa. I have been nothing but impressed thus far! Xiaomi is a great company! And MIUI has come a long way. Using MIUI 11 now but going to unlock bootloader and flash HAVOC and or Bootleggers 10 in a few. Kick ass phone!!

I believe for my next device I'll get a newer Xiaomi, maybe a Mi 9T or possibly a newer Pixel 4a depending on how that turns out, maybe a 3a. You just can't beat the gcam (camera px) mods and the quality of pictures a pixel phone takes and I take lots of pics. This Xiaomi sure has impressed me though! Good stuff!

The Mi Mix 2 is a great device! I would say its the best recent flagship design from Xiaomi, and if I didin't have already a very similar Essential Phone I would definitely be looking at the Mi Mix 2 as my daily driver.

Hope you enjoy yours man!

Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
14th January 2020, 11:00 PM |#11959  

More
Hi guys!

I need to buy a new phone, i currently have a S7 edge and i can't decide between the S10 - Xiaomi mi9t - Xiaomi noter 8 pro - or maybe an other one?

what i need in a phone?
- be able to play games
- occasionally taking pictures
- i like to use ROMS (leneage)
- battery life

Thanks
17th January 2020, 11:12 AM |#11960  
Flag Dharan
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Which should I buy Redmi note 7 pro or redmi note 8? I need good processor and battery life.
17th January 2020, 04:01 PM |#11961  
Flag Crescent
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatMan22

Which should I buy Redmi note 7 pro or redmi note 8? I need good processor and battery life.

They're so close to the same spec wise all around. I just searched around and saw some reviews on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 and the 675 and it said the 665 was something like 7% better all around. That's not even noticable I don't think. The two phones spec wise are so matching. You could probably use a note 8 one day and a note 7 pro and I bet you couldn't tell a difference. I say that based on what I just read on the two spec wise and CPU wise. Good luck on your phone hunt. I'm sure you'll love either of the two. I know I sure love my Mi Mix 2.

Sent from my chiron using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to flash713 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flash713 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)