FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Genre?

Action

180 Vote(s)
23.90%
Comedy

149 Vote(s)
19.79%
Sci-Fi

219 Vote(s)
29.08%
Drama

34 Vote(s)
4.52%
Thriller

77 Vote(s)
10.23%
Horror

57 Vote(s)
7.57%
Other

37 Vote(s)
4.91%

Off-Topic Movie Club

12,332 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,823

By Dirk, Senior Member on 17th September 2011, 03:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th December 2019, 12:52 PM |#7851  
OP Senior Member

More
Knives Out - A new take on the good old fahioned murder mystery. Working with an all star cast, director Rian Johnson shows how versatile he is having previously directed episodes of Breaking Bad, and the two very different movies Brick and Looper which, like this movie, he also wrote. Knives Out is a fun romp, all the more so as two hours with Ana de Armas is always time well spent. 8/10
27th December 2019, 09:46 AM |#7852  
Flag Rahasia
Thanks Meter: 497

More
Star wars TROS...For me....big disappointment. I should have know before...the cinema many empty seats. First half so boring an predictable. Bad and very bad over acting. Many flat scenes. The action was not realistic. The story line was simplistic. No deep development of story.
Kylo rens helmet looked like it was made in a Sophomore college project.

The fighting scenes between Rey and Kylo was just laughable. The power they had and used was illogical because they dont use it when they really need it.

The jokes were extremely cringeworthy and corny. So many people laughed during the serious scenes and rolled their eyes in the corny unfunny funny scenes.

No one clapped at the end or during the movie.

The ending was silly and illogical.

For me, compared to the first star wars ever made, this newest Star wars was a 1/10.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Freaks: Great movie. Great acting. Unpredictable. Highly watchable.
7.5/10

Mindhunter: first episode was hard to get through but 2nd episode onwards is excellent and tense...Im looking forwards to season 2. based on real interviews with serial killers.
very good 8/10

Hustlers: J.Lo in another movie failure. Super boring and predictable. Dont bother. 2/10.
27th December 2019, 07:28 PM |#7853  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbigwave

Mindhunter: first episode was hard to get through but 2nd episode onwards is excellent and tense...Im looking forwards to season 2. based on real interviews with serial killers.
very good 8/10.

Season 2 ends well but i found the early episodes really hard to get through. They were really struggling to find anything useful for the female character to do, so instead they gave her the now obligatory gay relationship plot which had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the overall story. Fortunately they dropped her entirely for the later episodes, but i spent the early ones skipping through all her scenes.

The interviews have been the highlight for both seasons so far. That and seeing the birth of Behavioural Sciences in the FBI which have played such a large part of other works of fiction. SIlence of the Lambs as one example. Unfortunately it's use in real life has proven to be less useful than a chocolate Teapot. It's use in fiction has become so prevailent now though that it's become a popular trope.

If you want some true crime that's incredibly compelling to watch i'd recommend The Jinx - The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst. It's unmissable.

Also i don't think i've mentioned The Report, the Adam Driver movie:

"Idealistic Senate staffer Daniel J. Jones, tasked by his boss to lead an investigation into the CIA's post 9/11 Detention and Interrogation Program, uncovers shocking secrets."

If you enjoy political thrillers it's well worth a watch. Maybe not quite as good as All the President's Men, but up there with the best.

Edit - It would be remiss of me not to mention the TV show Hannibal. Did you watch it? If you like FBI Serial Killer fiction, Hannibal is as good as it gets. Three Seasons of the most beautiful television you'll ever see. The cast are excellent throughout, but Mads Mikkelson as Hannibal is absolutely sublime.
28th December 2019, 12:17 AM |#7854  
OP Senior Member

More
Punch-Drunk Love - After watching Uncut Gems i was wondering if Adam Sandler had been in any other good movies that i may have missed. PDL has not only a great Sandler performance, but it turns out it is also a Paul Thomas Anderson movie that i hadn't seen yet. It's a surprisingly simple story but very charming and heartwarming. A romance movie that you can admit to your friends you love without fear of ridicule. 8/10

Ford vs Ferarri - Well above average for a racing car flick. Damon and Bale are great and the action scenes look gorgeous. An interesting story too for anyone not familiar with the history. 8/10 (Would also recommend Le Mans, starring Steve McQueen).
6th January 2020, 11:27 AM |#7855  
OP Senior Member

More
Just some rewatches recently.

Blade Runner 2049 began as a 10/10 for me and yet it goes up in my estimation every time i see it. Just an exquisite, beautiful perfection. #2 on my all time best movie list.

Road to Perdition - Lesser known Tom Hanks vehicle. Prohibition era crime Thriller from Director Sam Mendes. Good supporting cast in this above average movie. 8/10 (Would also recommend the Coen Brothers film, Millers Crossing, which is the best of all the gangland movies).

Charlie Wilsons War - While it's another good Hanks lead role, it's the performance of Philip Seymour Hoffman that i love in this film. Coarse, abrasive and brutally straight forward. The role he was best at! 8/10 (Would also recommend another political Thriller, The Ides Of March. Hoffman again, but with Ryan Gosling, George Clooney and Paul Giamatti too).
11th January 2020, 06:36 AM |#7856  
Flag Rahasia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk

Season 2 ends well but i found the early episodes really hard to get through. They were really struggling to find anything useful for the female character to do, so instead they gave her the now obligatory gay relationship plot which had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the overall story. Fortunately they dropped her entirely for the later episodes, but i spent the early ones skipping through all her scenes.

The interviews have been the highlight for both seasons so far. That and seeing the birth of Behavioural Sciences in the FBI which have played such a large part of other works of fiction. SIlence of the Lambs as one example. Unfortunately it's use in real life has proven to be less useful than a chocolate Teapot. It's use in fiction has become so prevailent now though that it's become a popular trope.

If you want some true crime that's incredibly compelling to watch i'd recommend The Jinx - The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst. It's unmissable.

Also i don't think i've mentioned The Report, the Adam Driver movie:

"Idealistic Senate staffer Daniel J. Jones, tasked by his boss to lead an investigation into the CIA's post 9/11 Detention and Interrogation Program, uncovers shocking secrets."

If you enjoy political thrillers it's well worth a watch. Maybe not quite as good as All the President's Men, but up there with the best.

Edit - It would be remiss of me not to mention the TV show Hannibal. Did you watch it? If you like FBI Serial Killer fiction, Hannibal is as good as it gets. Three Seasons of the most beautiful television you'll ever see. The cast are excellent throughout, but Mads Mikkelson as Hannibal is absolutely sublime.

loved Hannibal TV series. watched it long ago..All Presidents Men I saw too. Good movie. Will check out Jinx and The Report . Sounds interesting.

I wached Knives out (Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Anna de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Christopher Plummer).,,...a fun tense funny exciting movie. Worth watching. 7.8/10 for me.

6Ubderground (Ryan Reynolds)...it's basically Deadpool without his suit and superheros+ Baby Driver . Its OK. But I cant even remember the story it was that unmemorable. If you like actions its for you. 6/10 movie but action shots are 7/10,

Netflix's The Dawning Rage (Korean). Dont bother. Some big stars in a silly big CGI action movie. 2/10

Hustlers - Did I say it was rubbish?,I will say again..it was a waste of time. J.Lo is so bad in this silly simple predictable movie. 0/10.

Watching "The Informer" now (Anna de Armas, Clive Owens, Rosamund Pike)..surprisingly is very good so far...will report when I finished it. Its basically a gangster Russian poland mafia informer movie based in US.

i didnt know Mind Hunter Season 2,was finished already...will try find it thanks.
11th January 2020, 10:07 PM |#7857  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbigwave

loved Hannibal TV series. watched it long ago..

There was talk about doing a fourth Season but i can't see it happening now. The problem Brian Fuller always faced was not being able to get the rights to depict any character that first appeared in Silence of the Lambs. So no Clarice or Buffalo Bill.

I think it ended really well though so i'm satisfied with the three Seasons that we got.
14th January 2020, 07:07 AM |#7858  
Flag Rahasia

More
"The Informer" (Anna de Armas, Clive Owens, Rosamund Pike)..gangster FBI v NYPD v DEA v Easter European gangsters movie.surprisingly is very good. I read some low and high reviews on IMDB but I think sometimes IMDB has been taken over by studio paid promoters to give high votes to their bad movies and low votes to their competitor's movies.
Some great tense moments. 7.8/10

The Art of Self Defense (Jesse Eisenberg)..well written. Subtle. Clever. Great dialogue. Some laugh out loud sections. About a young man who is attacked and learns "self-defense"...
7.8/10.

Countdown: OK forget about the logic of the app but it's a A fun funny but scary horror movie with lots of solid jump scares about an app that predicts the day you die... 7/10 highly watchable.

"Heritage" about a CIA agent with personal issues and soviet era secrets of east germany in a dubbed to English German movie. Bad acting and script. Don't bother..waste of time. 2/10.
14th January 2020, 08:35 AM |#7859  
Flag Crescent
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Underground 6 ! I watched it about a week ago on Netflix. If you like crazy fast suspenseful type movies full of action it's pretty good. It's about this secret organization that recruit's people to take out bad guys around the world. They fake the deaths of the people in the underground 6 so everyone thinks they're dead and they can never contact anyone they know again. Had a pretty good ending too. 8/10

This group is great! I found a ton of movies to watch here. Appreciate everyone's contributions and the op for starting the thread!

Sent from my chiron using XDA Labs
14th January 2020, 03:02 PM |#7860  
OP Senior Member

More
Terminator: Dark Fate - The plot is just a rehash of everything that came before. Not bad if you like Action films and enjoy the Terminator franchise though. The movie lacks atmosphere in all but the final set-piece which is a fun, albeit silly CGI fest. Mackenzie Davis is a good addition and Arnie adds some comic relief. I like what they do with his character. For me T2 is easily the best, and i even enjoy the third installment quite a bit, but it really could have stopped there. 6/10

Motherless Brooklyn - Intriguing Gumshoe Mystery that's Directed, Written by (Screenplay), and starring Edward Norton. Playing a Detective with Tourettes, Norton investigates the murder of his friend and Boss, played by Bruce Willis. The cast is great, with Alec Baldwin as the Antagonist and Willem Dafoe too in another excellent performance. The story is simple but it's the characters that that make it a compelling watch. Norton does a great job playing someone afflicted with Tourettes and it adds an interesting element to the movie. That and the Jazzy score makes it stand out from the usual fare. Very watchable. 8/10

Nice to see my Joker getting the recognition it deserves from Award Season. Uncut Gems too, although that was snubbed by an Academy comprised mostly of White Males over the age of Sixty. Not a demographic exactly representative of the general, movie watching, public.
15th January 2020, 11:56 AM |#7861  
OP Senior Member

More
The Cinematography of Roger Deakins:

With the film 1917 getting deserved recognition, i'm listing my favourite movies that were shot by one of the best Director of Photography masters in the business. All are great movies, and all beautiful:

Blade Runner 2049
Sicario
Prisoners
True Grit
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
No Country For Old Men
The Village
The Big Lebowski
Fargo

There are many more but those are my top picks. Four of those are Coen Brothers masterpieces. If there's anything there you haven't seen, give it a whirl.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy, rosebud is a sled!, say what again!

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)