FORUMS

[APP][2.0+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)

5,658 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,047

By HootanParsa, Recognized Developer on 17th May 2011, 04:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th January 2020, 02:45 PM |#31941  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

Please dont take this as a criticism of your methods or an accusation that this was your fault but there are some ways you can 1) protect your data and 2) collect more information for troubleshooting to see what really went wrong here.

1) When handling important data or when managing it with new unfamiliar new methods, or when managing it on Android devices, or with data that is not already rigorously backed up; it may be best to copy material then delete the source. This does leave more responsibility and work on the user than automated processes but that is to the point of protecting data especially until the methods are sorted out and deemed reliable.

2) In MiX, when items are selected for a move operation they disappear from the UI (perhaps to avoid application of conflicting actions - eg attempting to copy a file that was moved from the source location) but when the job is cancelled they should reappear. I would hope that the same would occur for a job that ran out of space.

So, in your case something seems to have disrupted the protection of the queued files, or flagged them as moved even though they were not moved, or something else. To the point of your request perhaps there could be a way to check available space and warn user before the copy process starts so that the job may be cancellated before the queue gets scrambled.

In total agreement of Point 1, hence why I have left it at that.

In relation to Point 2, how can I help you to understand and resolve this bug? Would the reproduction of the issue and then take a debug log work?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mirxx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mirxx Ad-Free
20th January 2020, 04:02 PM |#31942  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,543

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirxx

In relation to Point 2, how can I help you to understand and resolve this bug? Would the reproduction of the issue and then take a debug log work?

First a point of clarification: I'm not the developer (who is HootanParsa, the host of this thread) but rather just an involved user who sees in your issue a chance to fix or clarify something.

As to problem reporting: Establishing and documenting the exact steps to required to reproduce the issue would be helpful. For instance, is it occurring at the mere cancelation of the job, or only when space runs out? One thing about this type of issue is that it is not easy for other people to reproduce but I do recall previous potentially similar reports. It might be worth searching the thread to see if there are any connections there and listing the steps to reproduce the issue, then following up with the logs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
20th January 2020, 06:09 PM |#31943  
Flag San José
Thanks Meter: 11

Donate to Me
More
Thank you! It worked like charm on my U12.
20th January 2020, 06:38 PM |#31944  
Flag Santa Cruz
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Is anyone else experiencing problems with file transfers to/from the Mail.ru cloud bookmark? It's been happening since mail.ru added a cookies/privacy toast to the website - MiX has had problems ever since (past couple weeks).
20th January 2020, 06:59 PM |#31945  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Given some free time I should be working on the FAQ but I like a good riddle and have always felt that file moves were vulnerable, especially when disk space runs out so, some testing:

MiX Silver 6.42.3, Moto G3 (Osprey), LOS 15.1 (Oreo 8.1.x), LOS SU, 32 GB external SD (portable mode) with 10 MB free space (not a typo, that's only 10 megabytes free).

- Place 3 test files, videos of sizes 559MB, 380MB and 2.93MB, in a folder on internal SD leaving 10MB free (done from a linux computer via USB).
- Using MiX on device, attempt to move files to a folder on external SD.
- After a few seconds copying, then the expected error about no space appeared including a message about 1 file having been copied.
- The smallest file (which was used because it could fit within the available space) was present in target folder, as was a partial copy of the one of the files which could not fit.
- The job was still listed in the main bar and none of the files were visible again in the source until the job was opened and "cancelled".
- After the job was "cancelled" all three files reappeared in the source folder.

Although I was unable to reproduce the loss of data there is certainly some messiness going on in there, such as the persistence of the source of the successfully moved file and the partially movde/copied file in the target. Those things alone err in favour of saving data and being able to re-run the job but I hypothesize (which is what non-coders do in the absence of proof) that this is the mechanism which is being impacted by some other variable or action in your case.

FWIW In MiX the "hiding' of the files when the move job is queued is probably just hiding, which implies that the data is still somewhere. This might be getting a bit much into the weeds but: if this can be reproduced with apparent loss of data again, then it might be worth checking the drives to see if the data is still there and in what form.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
20th January 2020, 07:01 PM |#31946  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I'm trying to connect with MiX an USB device attached to my modem-router in my LAN; I'm using the SMB protocol but I'm noticing that I cannot use any special character in the password (actually a back slash ""). Is there any workaround, any parameter to set in the "advanced settings" configuration ?
20th January 2020, 07:52 PM |#31947  
Thanks Meter: 407

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gladiator

I'm trying to connect with MiX an USB device attached to my modem-router in my LAN; I'm using the SMB protocol but I'm noticing that I cannot use any special character in the password (actually a back slash ""). Is there any workaround, any parameter to set in the "advanced settings" configuration ?

I fear the most effective workaround was changing the password...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

MiX Silver 6.42.3, Moto G3 (Osprey), LOS 15.1 (Oreo 8.1.x), LOS SU, 32 GB external SD (portable mode) with 10 MB free space (not a typo, that's only 10 megabytes free).

Note an important part of the description:
Quote:

I mounted a Veracrypt volume using EDS and attempted to move some files from my exFat USB drive.

It failed after moving 2 files and reported Insufficient Disk Space even though there was more than enough.

Which might be related with the MiX's custom USB OTG driver (if enabled).

Another part is the storage type.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdgsdg123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gdgsdg123 Ad-Free
20th January 2020, 08:18 PM |#31948  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
[QUOTE=gdgsdg123;81541287]I fear the most effective workaround was changing the password...

21st January 2020, 01:28 AM |#31949  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgsdg123

Note an important part of the description:

Point taken. In in my tests I ignored the fact that in the reported issue there seemed to be enough space... because I had to actually fill the drive in order to force the condition of running out of space during a copy operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgsdg123

Which might be related with the MiX's custom USB OTG driver (if enabled).

Another part is the storage type..

... and overall volume and size of individual files being moved. Also, FWIW, not using custom USB driver in my case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
22nd January 2020, 03:14 AM |#31950  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 7

More
MiX as downloader
Don't want to double post but just in case this got lost...

I've loved this app for years. But I've had a problem which I finally got around to trying to narrow down. If it matters - this is a Samsung Note 8 running Android Pie.

The problem is when using my web browser (Firefox for Android) and I tap links to PDF's. Mixplorer starts to open and then instantly closes and returns. I just installed the MixPDF extension and now the links open - but I see no way to save the PDF file.

As great as Mix is - I have other PDF tools that I prefer. What I really want is for Mixplorer to download the PDF so I can open it later. How can I do that?
22nd January 2020, 04:49 AM |#31951  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 20,215

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalami

Don't want to double post but just in case this got lost...

I've loved this app for years. But I've had a problem which I finally got around to trying to narrow down. If it matters - this is a Samsung Note 8 running Android Pie.

The problem is when using my web browser (Firefox for Android) and I tap links to PDF's. Mixplorer starts to open and then instantly closes and returns. I just installed the MixPDF extension and now the links open - but I see no way to save the PDF file.

As great as Mix is - I have other PDF tools that I prefer. What I really want is for Mixplorer to download the PDF so I can open it later. How can I do that?

Download the pdf using your browser, I download pdfs using Chrome all the time and open them using Mix. Never had any issue.

Sent from my OnePlus 7T using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to Thebear j koss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thebear j koss Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chm, cloud, encfs, epub, mix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)