FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,276
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th January 2020, 04:01 PM |#11961  
flash713's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Crescent
Thanks Meter: 180
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatMan22

Which should I buy Redmi note 7 pro or redmi note 8? I need good processor and battery life.


They're so close to the same spec wise all around. I just searched around and saw some reviews on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 and the 675 and it said the 665 was something like 7% better all around. That's not even noticable I don't think. The two phones spec wise are so matching. You could probably use a note 8 one day and a note 7 pro and I bet you couldn't tell a difference. I say that based on what I just read on the two spec wise and CPU wise. Good luck on your phone hunt. I'm sure you'll love either of the two. I know I sure love my Mi Mix 2.

Sent from my chiron using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to flash713 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flash713 Ad-Free
19th January 2020, 02:00 PM |#11962  
HatMan22's Avatar
Member
Flag Dharan
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash713

They're so close to the same spec wise all around. I just searched around and saw some reviews on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 and the 675 and it said the 665 was something like 7% better all around. That's not even noticable I don't think. The two phones spec wise are so matching. You could probably use a note 8 one day and a note 7 pro and I bet you couldn't tell a difference. I say that based on what I just read on the two spec wise and CPU wise. Good luck on your phone hunt. I'm sure you'll love either of the two. I know I sure love my Mi Mix 2.

Sent from my chiron using XDA Labs

Can I consider buying 2 yrs old Pocofon F1 which is beast at that time? What may be pro and cons. I noticed F1 does not have quick charge 4, and camera is only 12 MP (i will use GCam) and custom ROM.
19th January 2020, 06:49 PM |#11963  
CamoGeko's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,351
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatMan22

Can I consider buying 2 yrs old Pocofon F1 which is beast at that time? What may be pro and cons. I noticed F1 does not have quick charge 4, and camera is only 12 MP (i will use GCam) and custom ROM.

I was actually just watching a video on YouTube when I read your reply.

[/YouTube]

It touches up on some great features of the Pocophone F1, like getting a flagship SoC for really cheap and being able to run Gcam. Not to mention having a headphone jack too.

If I didin't own an Essential Phone that I love, I would possiby either have a Pocophone F1 or a Mi Mix 2. Which is also a good option right now with a decent SoC, going for about the same price second hand as the Essential Phone.


Sent from my Essential Phone using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to CamoGeko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CamoGeko Ad-Free
20th January 2020, 11:50 AM |#11964  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soryl

Hi guys!

I need to buy a new phone, i currently have a S7 edge and i can't decide between the S10 - Xiaomi mi9t - Xiaomi noter 8 pro - or maybe an other one?

what i need in a phone?
- be able to play games
- occasionally taking pictures
- i like to use ROMS (leneage)
- battery life

Thanks

I currently use Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Android 10, two days battery, 64 mb camera (pictures of subject in motion arent that great. Standstill subjects photos are wonderful), gaming performance is good, fortnite or pubg or asphalt 9, all run well. Go for eu version, since these bring less bloatware. Or for china version if you are interested in getting android 11 faster.
21st January 2020, 10:58 AM |#11965  
HatMan22's Avatar
Member
Flag Dharan
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soryl

Hi guys!

I need to buy a new phone, i currently have a S7 edge and i can't decide between the S10 - Xiaomi mi9t - Xiaomi noter 8 pro - or maybe an other one?

what i need in a phone?
- be able to play games
- occasionally taking pictures
- i like to use ROMS (leneage)
- battery life

Thanks

If you like to change ROM, Redmi Note 8 pro is not for you. It has good performance but it also has Mediatek Processor and Mediatek CPU lacks Custom ROM.
I am buying Poco F1, because it has decent Processor (spd845) and I don't care premium look and camera.
21st January 2020, 12:27 PM |#11966  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soryl

Hi guys!

I need to buy a new phone, i currently have a S7 edge and i can't decide between the S10 - Xiaomi mi9t - Xiaomi noter 8 pro - or maybe an other one?

what i need in a phone?
- be able to play games
- occasionally taking pictures
- i like to use ROMS (leneage)
- battery life

Thanks

@HatMan22 is partly right. The Xiaomi Note 8 pro doesnt have a custom rom so far. The phone been out only for some months. The amount of bloatware on it is negligible. In terms of customization, Xiaomi does provide means of changing almost every aspect of the phone, from bootanimation to interface. With root and custom rom you might get around 20% more performance. The Pocophone F1 might have better specs but is older. The Xiaomi Note 8 pro gets Android 10 out of the box, android 11 surely. Who knows, maybe even Android 12. The Samsung S10 i dont recommend. Its an overpriced piece of glass. Sure, you get around 50% more performance than other xiaomi phone, at 4 times the price. I literally made a very good Gaming PC that cost the same price as the S10.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
21st January 2020, 01:34 PM |#11967  
HatMan22's Avatar
Member
Flag Dharan
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

@HatMan22 is partly right. The Xiaomi Note 8 pro doesnt have a custom rom so far. The phone been out only for some months. The amount of bloatware on it is negligible. In terms of customization, Xiaomi does provide means of changing almost every aspect of the phone, from bootanimation to interface. With root and custom rom you might get around 20% more performance. The Pocophone F1 might have better specs but is older. The Xiaomi Note 8 pro gets Android 10 out of the box, android 11 surely. Who knows, maybe even Android 12. The Samsung S10 i dont recommend. Its an overpriced piece of glass. Sure, you get around 50% more performance than other xiaomi phone, at 4 times the price. I literally made a very good Gaming PC that cost the same price as the S10.

Yes it depends, but Mediatek CPU lacks custom ROM, this post is old but you can read - https://www.xda-developers.com/media...ease-no-plans/. If it had snapdragon processor then I will definitely buy rn8 pro. And I have low budget but wanting some really powerful device. That's why I liked Poco F1. I can't stay without custom rom and gcam which rn8 pro will never provide.
22nd January 2020, 12:46 PM |#11968  
Snip3rPolska's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag TESCO
Thanks Meter: 97
 
More
Hello guys !

I'm thinking to buy Xiaomi Mi note 10 and I've heard there were some performance issues laggy camera etc but also I saw videos that there was and update and some of issues has been fixed. Note sure how much they fixed.
Im thinking only about Xiaomi only ( I like MIUI )

For now I'm using Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 👍
22nd January 2020, 01:27 PM |#11969  
ogpog's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Can't choose between Dual-SIM Motorola G8 Plus or Redmi Note 8T...
Looking for new phone, up to £200GBP (UK) with dual sims and an sd card, I would like to have an FM Radio and an IR blaster, plus the usual things (gps, camera, nfc, otg, headphone socket, etc). I plan (at some point, maybe after warranty) to put a custom rom onto it.

The down-side of the Motorola is its hybrid SIM/SD card and it doesn't have an IR blaster. Other than that I think it comes down to how well they work in practice...

I have two sims, a main one with data/voice/sms and another that will be voice/sms (and occasional data standby). I don't want to carry two phones. I've read that dual sim isn't like having 2 phones... one sim may be a "poor relative" of the other and limited to 2G. I can't find definitives on how the dual sim works in these phones. AFAICT they are both "dual standby" but it isn't clear to me whether one of these phones is better than the other for dual sim usage.

On paper, the Note 8T looks like the better choice - and 128GB comes in around the same price as the G8 Plus. So it seems like the better choice.

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...torola_trinket
http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...28gb_m1908c3xg

Appreciate some thoughts, especially around real-world usage of two sim cards...
22nd January 2020, 03:04 PM |#11970  
CamoGeko's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,351
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip3rPolska

Hello guys !

I'm thinking to buy Xiaomi Mi note 10 and I've heard there were some performance issues laggy camera etc but also I saw videos that there was and update and some of issues has been fixed. Note sure how much they fixed.
Im thinking only about Xiaomi only ( I like MIUI )

For now I'm using Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 👍

You literally asked and answered your own question in this post

If you really want to know about those issues being fixed I suggest you go to the dedicated forum section and ask the users:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-note-10/help


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogpog

Looking for new phone, up to £200GBP (UK) with dual sims and an sd card, I would like to have an FM Radio and an IR blaster, plus the usual things (gps, camera, nfc, otg, headphone socket, etc). I plan (at some point, maybe after warranty) to put a custom rom onto it.

The down-side of the Motorola is its hybrid SIM/SD card and it doesn't have an IR blaster. Other than that I think it comes down to how well they work in practice...

I have two sims, a main one with data/voice/sms and another that will be voice/sms (and occasional data standby). I don't want to carry two phones. I've read that dual sim isn't like having 2 phones... one sim may be a "poor relative" of the other and limited to 2G. I can't find definitives on how the dual sim works in these phones. AFAICT they are both "dual standby" but it isn't clear to me whether one of these phones is better than the other for dual sim usage.

On paper, the Note 8T looks like the better choice - and 128GB comes in around the same price as the G8 Plus. So it seems like the better choice.

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...torola_trinket
http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...28gb_m1908c3xg

Appreciate some thoughts, especially around real-world usage of two sim cards...

If you want both sim cards to be active on 4G then you need to make sure the phone you look at can do dual 4G standby, and I don't think there's many out there with that specific feature. Surely not for only £200, I'd suggest raising your budget to at least £300.

Redmi Note 8T might be a good choice, until you get to the fact that it runs a MediaTek SoC, which means no source code and that means no custom ROM.

I'd suggest looking at a 2nd hand device, its way more likely that you get a used Android with the long list of features that you want.

Mi Mix 2 is a good possibility, although I have no idea if it has an IR blaster. Try using GSMArena to look at specs and compare phones. It's a very concise tool for comparisons.


Sent from my Essential Phone using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamoGeko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CamoGeko Ad-Free
22nd January 2020, 03:34 PM |#11971  
ogpog's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Redmi Note 8T might be a good choice, until you get to the fact that it runs a MediaTek SoC, which means no source code and that means no custom ROM.

I thought it was the Note 8 Pro that had the MediaTek SoC and that the Note 8/8T had Snapdragon 655 / Adreno 610 ?
I already dismissed the Note 8 Pro because of that...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes