FORUMS

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,198 Vote(s)
59.22%
Yes, kind of.

478 Vote(s)
23.63%
No, needs improvement.

347 Vote(s)
17.15%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,902 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,957

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 12:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th January 2020, 11:10 PM |#30261  
Forum Moderator
Flag Deep Space Station K7
Thanks Meter: 3,527

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludem93

Hi everyone, I'm EXTREMELY NEW to this forum and I would like to learn how to install a custom ROM in my phone

I thought I would find some easy answers but I'm a newbie and everything seems so complicated, so many new words for me

So, basically, how does it work? I know that if I fail at something, my warranty is dead right? But if I return to stock ROM do I get my warranty back?

And how do I do it? I know for some terms like flash, root etc but actually dont understand them fully

If I get any answer at all on this basic question I'll be really thankful.

Or you could just tell me where to find that information.. website, forum?

Welcome to the forum! As @mrrocketdog pointed out, it's hard to help without knowing more about the device you are working with.

General knowledge isn't so general when you compare across MediaTek, Samsung, Google and other devices. They all have their way of doing things. Many devices have a custom recovery, TWRP or similar that once installed will allow relatively easy installation of a custom ROM, but more and more are having to find ways around not having a custom recovery.

Some links to get you started:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...brick-t3002840
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2416235
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...m-rom-t3437151
https://twrp.me/FAQ/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
25th January 2020, 11:11 PM |#30262  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thx guys I will have look! I'm on Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
25th January 2020, 11:33 PM |#30263  
Thanks Meter: 1,911

More
Quote:

before someone else says it ; thx guys & gals
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
25th January 2020, 11:38 PM |#30264  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 5,143

More
Quote:

This is the forum that you should look through for answers to your questions: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite

And if you have questions to ask after reading there, this is the link to do so: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a2-lite/help
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xunholyx Ad-Free
25th January 2020, 11:55 PM |#30265  

More
Thx, actually I started to think about custom roms when I heard the rumor that Android 10 could not be arriving on my phone... so if it gets official the update's not coming out, I'll be experimenting with this stuff for sure. I think I did manage to insta a custom rom a few years ago on my Alcatel but don't remember a thing, so basically back to square one
26th January 2020, 02:34 AM |#30266  
Thanks Meter: 822

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timba123

I'm hoping that the 3.14 odin can be patched so I can possibly downgrade , flash a different region, etc.
In hope of finding a compatible firmware that has oem unlocking available etc. Seems most U.S. versions of devices are restricted oem. Or find a suitable cve/exploit to crack system then maybe safestap. Idk. My device isn't that popular so we know how that goes. I'm trying to downgrade from ASK4 to ASK1 firmware but not even sure. I get SHA256 error.

Cross-flashing a different firmware is possible with a Modified/patched Odin but even if you find one I don`t think that you can downgrade this way, for that you should need an ENG(ineer) firmware, look for one of those or a combination files for your specific model, you have two main handicaps against; your device is carrier blocked and as you said is not popular.

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

Quote:

Thx, actually I started to think about custom roms when I heard the rumor that Android 10 could not be arriving on my phone... so if it gets official the update's not coming out, I'll be experimenting with this stuff for sure. I think I did manage to insta a custom rom a few years ago on my Alcatel but don't remember a thing, so basically back to square one

No, Mi A2 Lite is expected to receive Android 10 in the mid half of this 1Q, probably before February ends. Xiaomi and most of the known brands are updating its devices at least two versions from which it firstly came and Daisy (MA2L) came with Oreo.

Daisy (my old beloved sold device) has a scheme A-B partition so has an special process to take in account at some points for the flashing-times, this is the guide by default that is applied for all custom ROMs out there for this device https://github.com/tkchn/daisyinstall
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubwayChamp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SubwayChamp Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 04:15 AM |#30267  
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 72

More
[QUOTE=SubwayChamp;81590589]Cross-flashing a different firmware is possible with a Modified/patched Odin but even if you find one I don`t think that you can downgrade this way, for that you should need an ENG(ineer) firmware, look for one of those or a combination files for your specific model, you have two main handicaps against; your device is carrier blocked and as you said is not popular.[COLOR="Silver"]

With odin 3.14 it doesn't allow flashing combination firmware. Some error something like "please get permission to download something binaries (pit). Even adding pit and trying fails. Like a token is needed or work around. Not all of us can afford the few Chinese flasher and box or card software's etc. Do you have any knowledge of anyone working on odin 3.14? I have messaged O.P. for patched. Ok enough of this mess lol. Time will tell. Thanks for discussion. Appreciated.
26th January 2020, 05:32 AM |#30268  
Thanks Meter: 822

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timba123

With odin 3.14 it doesn't allow flashing combination firmware. Some error something like "please get permission to download something binaries (pit). Even adding pit and trying fails. Like a token is needed or work around. Not all of us can afford the few Chinese flasher and box or card software's etc. Do you have any knowledge of anyone working on odin 3.14? I have messaged O.P. for patched. Ok enough of this mess lol. Time will tell. Thanks for discussion. Appreciated.

Probably you should start by here https://www.themefoxx.com/2019/07/fi...y-devices.html and if your Google account is already linked to this device you shouldn`t have troubles with Odin (probably on almost any version) If you can sort out the first step then you have to search for "FRP lock approval to use factory binary" and you should be fine with.
26th January 2020, 04:13 PM |#30269  

More
Hello, does anyone know how to enable monitor mode on Samsung A30? I have been searching around, and it seems like in order to do it I need to modify the kernel regardless of having an external supported wifi adapter or using internal wifi, though I have an AWUS036H. Samsung released kernel for A30 so I'm gonna search for a way to enable monitor mode for internal wifi.
28th January 2020, 01:34 AM |#30270  

More
Hi I hope to downgrade my phone nokia 8.1 Frome android Q to android pie please
28th January 2020, 03:51 AM |#30271  
Forum Moderator
Flag Deep Space Station K7
Thanks Meter: 3,527

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakour

Hi I hope to downgrade my phone nokia 8.1 Frome android Q to android pie please

I think you can get a rollback release straight from Nokia. The Nokia 8.1 Questions & Answers might be able to help if you have trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)