FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,278

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd February 2020, 05:28 AM |#12011  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Try Pocophone F1, it suits what you want. 👌😊

That's a great recommendation but I heard it doesn't work well in the US. Is that true?
4th February 2020, 12:15 AM |#12012  
Flag Gulf Coast
Thanks Meter: 216

More
If I was going to purchase a device right now like us all, the device I would get would depend 💯 on how much money I had to spend.. But if I had let's say $700-$800 I would try hard to wait on the OnePlus 8(t) and see what they have in store for us. Whatever it is it will no doubt be an amazing device!!!! They've always made excellent phones! Great company!!! But if I had to buy one today, right now I would probably get a pixel 3a or 3a xl or a OnePlus 7t or OnePlus 7. In my experience and all the phones I've owned since Android first came into the world the best phones I've ever owned and used are most definitely OnePlus and Pixel. There's just no comparison in my opinion. I've owned many since my first phone which was on T-Mobile and was a G1 back when Android began. The only devices I haven't owned yet that I plan on trying in the future are Huawei and Sony. I had a Nexus 6p Huawei but I'd like to try out their flagship devices some day. From what I hear they're awesome! I made up my mind that from now on I will save until I have enough for a new or mint condition Pixel "a" model or a new to mint OnePlus. I just was blown away at how awesome those two phones were and I loved them more than all the rest that I've ever used.

I plan on getting a box soon to fix hard bricks. If that goes well I'll surely get some killer deals on bricked phones off the internet and maybe even sell one here and there who knows.. I still have a bit to learn but I won't give up. When you fall in love with Android it's not something that just goes away, not for me, not yet anyway. ✌️
4th February 2020, 01:22 AM |#12013  
Thanks Meter: 3,216

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxarz

Hi there!
I'm using currently Samsung Note 3 with latest rom. Well its good but my lcd is cracked also i have 2 green vertical lines and camera sucks.
I'm looking for upgrade i have about $300 for used phone. I want my next phone to have super camera and good overall performance and big screen. Pixel 2 XL is one option but screen worries me, 9t pro is super but camera is worse than one in pixel is there any other option ?

The camera is worse than Pixel 2? That is not correct.

The 9T is beautiful. But the Mi9 has more LTE bands and has the exact same camera specs as the Pixel 3 XL You could spend even less and buy Xiaomi's 2018's flagship the Mi8. The camera is absolutely be stellar. ( Stock& and when using the Ported Pixel Mod)

Other great options in your price range. One Plus 6, iPhone 8 or X,( though, iPhones are very limited with customization options) Samsung 8 etc.
8th February 2020, 05:39 PM |#12014  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thinking of moving back after 6 years on the iPhone
I'm due for a new phone soon - currently rocking the iPhone XS with a cracked screen - and am strongly considering the move back to Android. I'm not impressed with what I'm getting for the price with the iPhone any longer. I was looking at the OnePlus 7/7T, but, of course, it appears the 8 may be imminent. I had the original OnePlus One and loved it at the time.

Looking for the $500-700 range, give or take. Primary concerns are speed and reliability, followed by the screen, then the camera. I don't do a lot of mobile photography so the camera is a lower concern. Speed and reliable hardware/build are much more a concern of mine, but I'm not sure those a really valid concerns at this point. Default OS is also negotiable, I don't mind throwing a different ROM on there. Some sort of water proofing/resistance and wireless charging would be nice but aren't requirement. I'm in the US, currently with AT&T.

I think the OnePlus 7 or 7T are my best bet for the money. Any other suggestions I should be looking into? Is there any compelling reason to wait for the OnePlus 8? Someone recommended the Mi 9T or Realme X2 too. Thoughts?
8th February 2020, 06:00 PM |#12015  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nloding

I'm due for a new phone soon - currently rocking the iPhone XS with a cracked screen - and am strongly considering the move back to Android. I'm not impressed with what I'm getting for the price with the iPhone any longer. I was looking at the OnePlus 7/7T, but, of course, it appears the 8 may be imminent. I had the original OnePlus One and loved it at the time.

Looking for the $500-700 range, give or take. Primary concerns are speed and reliability, followed by the screen, then the camera. I don't do a lot of mobile photography so the camera is a lower concern. Speed and reliable hardware/build are much more a concern of mine, but I'm not sure those a really valid concerns at this point. Default OS is also negotiable, I don't mind throwing a different ROM on there. Some sort of water proofing/resistance and wireless charging would be nice but aren't requirement. I'm in the US, currently with AT&T.

I think the OnePlus 7 or 7T are my best bet for the money. Any other suggestions I should be looking into? Is there any compelling reason to wait for the OnePlus 8? Someone recommended the Mi 9T or Realme X2 too. Thoughts?

Well, oneplus 8 might be great, but feels like overpriced piece of glass nowadays. Personally I use an Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Two days battery, very good performance (mostly music, movies and a light game). Camera would be an 8/10, phone is quite sturdy. The os is good, xiaomi does provides ways of customizing your phones. They are also open to third-party customization, roms and such. Ads aren't bothering at all, hidden quite well. Also you can disable them all after a tutorial of like 10 min. You could go with mid-range phones instead of using flagships. This one is like 240$. After 2-3 years, if you feel that is letting you down, you can get another one for same price range.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 11:06 AM |#12016  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello.
Short question: what would be best replacement of my current "Lenovo Vibe K5" (I am quite happy with it, but touch screen slowly stops working)?
What I need:
1. call recording ("natively" or possibility to run ACR) great if automatic
2. no bloat (FB, instagram etc) or possibility to remove it
3. enough space to keep files (I think this i no problem, as lenovo has enough)
4. No troubles with root/bootloader unlocking/recovery replace (I have heard that some vendors ask to wait two week before give you unlock code)

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Hello.
Short question: what would be best replacement of my current "Lenovo Vibe K5" (I am quite happy with it, but touch screen slowly stops working)?
What I need:
1. call recording ("natively" or possibility to run ACR) great if automatic
2. no bloat (FB, instagram etc) or possibility to remove it
3. enough space to keep files (I think this i no problem, as lenovo has enough)
4. No troubles with root/bootloader unlocking/recovery replace (I have heard that some vendors ask to wait two week before give you unlock code)
14th February 2020, 12:42 PM |#12017  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,383

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Ads aren't bothering at all, hidden quite well. Also you can disable them all after a tutorial of like 10 min.

Wait, you don't mind that?

Having bloatware and ads in foreign language being intrusively pre-installed on your phone? I thought companies stopped doing this... 😅

I think that's pretty appalling to do by the manufacturer. Something tells me that Xiaomi will also be banned from installing Google Apps soon, just like Huawei was. So it's best to avoid buying anything Chinese for the nearest future.

Save money and buy an older Pixel XL or something. I promise you'll thank me later.

Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
14th February 2020, 01:17 PM |#12018  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Wait, you don't mind that?

Having bloatware and ads in foreign language being intrusively pre-installed on your phone? I thought companies stopped doing this... 😅

I think that's pretty appalling to do by the manufacturer. Something tells me that Xiaomi will also be banned from installing Google Apps soon, just like Huawei was. So it's best to avoid buying anything Chinese for the nearest future.

Save money and buy an older Pixel XL or something. I promise you'll thank me later.

Well, I find somewhat intrusive ads a better alternative to inflated high prices for smartphones from other companies. Paying beyond 400€ for a smartphone is outrageous. Xiaomi does deliver very good phones for real value. Given you re most likely to keep using that phone for more than a few months, the company has to inflate those prices or show advertisements.

If such predicament happens in near future, we don't know. It does not matter. Instead of going with a disappointing old flagship today, I suggest you guys get a new mid-range phone from xiaomi. Doubt Xiaomi is gonna be banned in any near future.
15th February 2020, 02:31 AM |#12019  
Thanks Meter: 246

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Well, I find somewhat intrusive ads a better alternative to inflated high prices for smartphones from other companies. Paying beyond 400€ for a smartphone is outrageous. Xiaomi does deliver very good phones for real value. Given you re most likely to keep using that phone for more than a few months, the company has to inflate those prices or show advertisements.

If such predicament happens in near future, we don't know. It does not matter. Instead of going with a disappointing old flagship today, I suggest you guys get a new mid-range phone from xiaomi. Doubt Xiaomi is gonna be banned in any near future.

Ads would be a no go for me. I'd go pixel or OnePlus.
15th February 2020, 07:23 AM |#12020  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I'm in the market to replace my Samsung Galaxy S9+. While a root method was recently found for it and the S9, it leaves a lot to be desired (and breaks a lot of things). For my next phone, I'm looking for one that's super-friendly in regards to rooting and custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) and ROMs. I'm stuck with T-Mobile (US) for now, though, and the selection in-store seems slim, at least as far as phones meeting that criteria -- my best options there seem to be the OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro Maclaren, or the Pixel 4XL, but none of those are exactly what I'm looking for: The OnePlus models, while I can get them in 256gb flavors despite the lack of expandable storage, but it looks like TWRP support remains unofficial for now? The Pixel 4XL seems like it'd be super friendly, but it has no expandable storage and the maximum available is 128gb, and I actively use the phone for a huge variety of personal, work, and media tasks, and 128gb won't cut it (and I don't want an OTG drive sticking out of the USB port, unless someone can recommend a super slim one > 256gb with power passthrough).

While I would like an obscene powerhouse of a device (say, an Asus ROG 2 with all the fixin's), practicality is the real motivator here. I don't mind if the phone is a gen or two back -- something from the same timeframe as the Galaxy S8/Note 8 up to now would be good. Or this upcoming generation, if you know something I don't. Definitely need >= 256gb storage, ideally with an sd card expansion. Dual SIMs would be nice, but not necessary. Ability to pay on installment (carrier, manufacturer, reseller, depressing mall kiosk, whatever) would also be nice, but is also not necessary. Most of all, I want to be able to install TWRP, systemless Magisk (with successful SafetyNet bypasses), and a variety of mods and ROMs (which itself requires an active community).

Anyone have any recommendations? Any questions or things I need to further clarify? Any online tools that can help me pick by selectecting and prioriizing requirements.
15th February 2020, 10:13 AM |#12021  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkindig

I'm in the market to replace my Samsung Galaxy S9+. While a root method was recently found for it and the S9, it leaves a lot to be desired (and breaks a lot of things). For my next phone, I'm looking for one that's super-friendly in regards to rooting and custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) and ROMs. I'm stuck with T-Mobile (US) for now, though, and the selection in-store seems slim, at least as far as phones meeting that criteria -- my best options there seem to be the OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro Maclaren, or the Pixel 4XL, but none of those are exactly what I'm looking for: The OnePlus models, while I can get them in 256gb flavors despite the lack of expandable storage, but it looks like TWRP support remains unofficial for now? The Pixel 4XL seems like it'd be super friendly, but it has no expandable storage and the maximum available is 128gb, and I actively use the phone for a huge variety of personal, work, and media tasks, and 128gb won't cut it (and I don't want an OTG drive sticking out of the USB port, unless someone can recommend a super slim one > 256gb with power passthrough).

While I would like an obscene powerhouse of a device (say, an Asus ROG 2 with all the fixin's), practicality is the real motivator here. I don't mind if the phone is a gen or two back -- something from the same timeframe as the Galaxy S8/Note 8 up to now would be good. Or this upcoming generation, if you know something I don't. Definitely need >= 256gb storage, ideally with an sd card expansion. Dual SIMs would be nice, but not necessary. Ability to pay on installment (carrier, manufacturer, reseller, depressing mall kiosk, whatever) would also be nice, but is also not necessary. Most of all, I want to be able to install TWRP, systemless Magisk (with successful SafetyNet bypasses), and a variety of mods and ROMs (which itself requires an active community).

Anyone have any recommendations? Any questions or things I need to further clarify? Any online tools that can help me pick by selectecting and prioriizing requirements.

Well, you could go with the S20 Ultra. 512 gb internal storage, coupled with a 512 gb micro SD would be interesting. Please do try such combo. The lack of twrp or custom roms for now is negligent. At 2.7 Ghz and 12 Gigs of Ram, you could have hundred of bloatware apps without a worry.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)