FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,276

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th February 2020, 11:13 AM |#12021  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkindig

I'm in the market to replace my Samsung Galaxy S9+. While a root method was recently found for it and the S9, it leaves a lot to be desired (and breaks a lot of things). For my next phone, I'm looking for one that's super-friendly in regards to rooting and custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) and ROMs. I'm stuck with T-Mobile (US) for now, though, and the selection in-store seems slim, at least as far as phones meeting that criteria -- my best options there seem to be the OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro Maclaren, or the Pixel 4XL, but none of those are exactly what I'm looking for: The OnePlus models, while I can get them in 256gb flavors despite the lack of expandable storage, but it looks like TWRP support remains unofficial for now? The Pixel 4XL seems like it'd be super friendly, but it has no expandable storage and the maximum available is 128gb, and I actively use the phone for a huge variety of personal, work, and media tasks, and 128gb won't cut it (and I don't want an OTG drive sticking out of the USB port, unless someone can recommend a super slim one > 256gb with power passthrough).

While I would like an obscene powerhouse of a device (say, an Asus ROG 2 with all the fixin's), practicality is the real motivator here. I don't mind if the phone is a gen or two back -- something from the same timeframe as the Galaxy S8/Note 8 up to now would be good. Or this upcoming generation, if you know something I don't. Definitely need >= 256gb storage, ideally with an sd card expansion. Dual SIMs would be nice, but not necessary. Ability to pay on installment (carrier, manufacturer, reseller, depressing mall kiosk, whatever) would also be nice, but is also not necessary. Most of all, I want to be able to install TWRP, systemless Magisk (with successful SafetyNet bypasses), and a variety of mods and ROMs (which itself requires an active community).

Anyone have any recommendations? Any questions or things I need to further clarify? Any online tools that can help me pick by selectecting and prioriizing requirements.

Well, you could go with the S20 Ultra. 512 gb internal storage, coupled with a 512 gb micro SD would be interesting. Please do try such combo. The lack of twrp or custom roms for now is negligent. At 2.7 Ghz and 12 Gigs of Ram, you could have hundred of bloatware apps without a worry.
Yesterday, 04:10 PM |#12022  
Flag Cervia
Thanks Meter: 7

More
hiii
recently i had some connector-related problems with my s7edge so i'm about to buy my next phone.
i think that, in this "hardware overkill era" (personally i think that from circa 2018 the effective changes in speed became very small and unnoticeable in terms of usage; apps open just a tiny little faster ), choosing a good used it's better than ever. since i don't have much to spend (gotta apply for masters ya know) i was thinking about getting a s9plus or a OP6t. that is because i like a lot the design of both the phones and the different functions (from water resistance, qi charge, better photos and nice notch/slide-less design by s9p to the in-display fingerprint sensor and veeeery nice software of the op6t ). I really wish there was something around 250/300€ with the functions of both but couldn't find it, and since i can actually buy a still premium phone like those for just 250, probably i'll just stick with one of them. which one?
i’d really like to get a stock aosp/pixel experience with the samsung but can't find a good rom, should i choose the op6t? HALP
Yesterday, 06:16 PM |#12023  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Redmi Note 8 Pro or Realme 5 Pro. Going to buy one of these very shortly.

1. Which one would you buy and why?

2. Which one offers best support /updates?

3.Which one would offer best second hand resale value in 12 to 18 months time? Thanks in advance!

Edit - RNP8 is 6/64gb while Realme is 8/128gb. I'm in Ireland but will probably buy from amazon Spain or Germany as its cheaper.
Today, 12:34 AM |#12024  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2111

3.Which one would offer best second hand resale value in 12 to 18 months time? Thanks in advance!

Edit - RNP8 is 6/64gb while Realme is 8/128gb. I'm in Ireland but will probably buy from amazon Spain or Germany as its cheaper.

Got the Note 8 pro. Very good device, I think I am gonna keep it for somewhat 2 years. Solid performance, battery holds 2 days of charge, saw some light users reaching 4 days. Android 10 almost out of the box, good updates. Since both are good phones, go for the cheaper one. No reason to spend more money on a somewhat better specced phone. In terms of gaming performance, hadn't tried a lot. Fortnite and Asphalt run good. Both phones are running Android, not IOS, so the resale value is gonna be lower than what you paid for it. Given how fast android phones depreciate, I would say that if you can get 65% money back from the resell, you are lucky.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cr0w

hiii
recently i had some connector-related problems with my s7edge so i'm about to buy my next phone.
i think that, in this "hardware overkill era" (personally i think that from circa 2018 the effective changes in speed became very small and unnoticeable in terms of usage; apps open just a tiny little faster ), choosing a good used it's better than ever. since i don't have much to spend (gotta apply for masters ya know) i was thinking about getting a s9plus or a OP6t. that is because i like a lot the design of both the phones and the different functions (from water resistance, qi charge, better photos and nice notch/slide-less design by s9p to the in-display fingerprint sensor and veeeery nice software of the op6t ). I really wish there was something around 250/300€ with the functions of both but couldn't find it, and since i can actually buy a still premium phone like those for just 250, probably i'll just stick with one of them. which one?
i’d really like to get a stock aosp/pixel experience with the samsung but can't find a good rom, should i choose the op6t? HALP

You could go with those old phones, or you could go with Xiaomi. Seems the K20 Pro is quite good and in that price range.
Today, 02:33 AM |#12025  
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cr0w

hiii

I feel the same as you, I like OnePlus software the best (I have the OnePlus 5) but i like the s9 plus for the headphone jack (#1 priority for me) and the water resistance (I killed my first op5 after 2 years when I jumped in the ocean with it in my pocket), and wireless charging would handy for when the charging port eventually fails in the long run. The display also looks slightly better to me on the Samsung compared to the OnePlus, but other than that I'd prefer the OnePlus. If my phone died tomorrow I'd get a OnePlus 6 (last OnePlus with a headphone jack).

Btw my second OnePlus 5 I bought used off eBay has 90% battery still after 3 years. No issues with it and it looked almost like new. No burn in on the screen. The s8 I bought used locally had some minor burn in on the screen otherwise was fine. Battery health was good but it didn't last or charge near as fast as the OnePlus. I also tried a used pixel XL after the s8 (didn't like the Samsung UI that much and decided to try the pixel XL - I liked it but went back to the OnePlus for dual Sims for a work number so I didn't have to carry 2 phones). My point is I have bought several used phones and had pretty good luck with them.
Today, 12:48 PM |#12026  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,367

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2111

1. The Realme 5 would go for, Note 8 Pro has a Mediatek SoC and you should stay away from those at all costs.

2. If you get the Note 8T I would say the Xiaomi will have better support, but it really depends where you are in the world.

3. None, Chinese phones generally don't have very good resale value or interest 12 months after you buy it. Why? Because at least 5 new Chinese phones come out every couple of months, do you really think people are going to bother buying second hand ones when they can get a brand new one just as cheap?
Today, 01:02 PM |#12027  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, I think I'm going to go for the Mi 9 Lite. The RN8P just seems too big and bulky for me. Plus 9 lite has snapdragon chip which seems better.
I'm in Ireland and just sold my Mi A2 Lite on a second hand site for about 50% of what I paid for it exactly a year ago which is a pretty good deal to me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)