[Updated/All Versions & Models!] Root OnePlus 7T Pro

Search This thread

juliusedward

Aug 10, 2010
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
I've read through the thread and it seems most replies are people who've successful rooted but there's the occasional person who's wifi stopped working after this. I'm a bit hesitant to try this. What does I do if my wifi stops working, do I just flash the image that I extracted using dd?
Follow the steps as mentioned in the OP especially the booting part of patched magisk boot image (not flashing it), you will be fine.

Flash the original boot image to fix any screwups

Dacoco

Dec 8, 2010
Has anyone who rooted with this method already upgraded to the new 10.3.0 Update?

My questions about that:
- Will the update clear my internal storage?
- Do I still have root after the update (I suppose no)?
- To gain root again - can I / do I have to download the ROM with Oxygen Updater, extract boot.img, patch, flash (the same stuff as in the first place)?

Thanks

This worked flawlessly with the 10.3.0. Update but at the moment i'm trying to install 10.3.1 and after uninstalling Magisk the system update keeps telling me root is detected. Is there a workaround?

radx

Jun 22, 2008
I got an update notification that there were a new version (i'm currently on 10.0.5.HD01BA), so I opened Magisk Manager -> Uinstall -> Restore Images. Then I went back to the System update dialog where the update were previously. For some reason it now said I was already on the latest version?! So anyway, I went back to Magisk -> Install -> Install to inactive slot. Rebooted. Now I'm stuck on the bootloader.

I tried going into fastboot and did fastboot boot magisk_patched_10.0.5.img.
Didn't work. Still stuck. Even tried rebooting an extra time.
Then tried fastboot boot stock_boot_10.0.5.img.
Still stuck didn't work either.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys managed to get this sorted? I'm trying to find a guide how to flash stock through fastboot. But I cant find a flashable stock image that works through fastboot. Official zip has the payload.bin which is not flashable through fastboot.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated :D

Edit: I manged to get it sorted. I followed this guide https://xdaforums.com/7t-pro/how-to/rom-stock-fastboot-roms-oneplus-7t-pro-t3991189 Short version: Download a fastboot flashable file. Flash all the individual files and ignore the magic error you get while flashing the system, vendor and product. I did not flash with -w so all my stuff are still there. :)

Last edited:

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I got an update notification that there were a new version (i'm currently on 10.0.5.HD01BA), so I opened Magisk Manager -> Uinstall -> Restore Images. Then I went back to the System update dialog where the update were previously. For some reason it now said I was already on the latest version?! So anyway, I went back to Magisk -> Install -> Install to inactive slot. Rebooted. Now I'm stuck on the bootloader.

I tried going into fastboot and did fastboot boot magisk_patched_10.0.5.img.
Didn't work. Still stuck. Even tried rebooting an extra time.
Then tried fastboot boot stock_boot_10.0.5.img.
Still stuck didn't work either.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys managed to get this sorted? I'm trying to find a guide how to flash stock through fastboot. But I cant find a flashable stock image that works through fastboot. Official zip has the payload.bin which is not flashable through fastboot.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated :D
Try switching slot in fastboot
fastboot --set-active=a
And boot, or flash stock image
then same with b
fastboot --set-active=a

Sent from my OnePlus7TPro using XDA Labs

AlexD51192

Dec 9, 2010
little help please

Would someone be able to share a copy of the boot images for 10.0.7 on an HD1910. My phone boots fine but after an ota update I've lost root, not to worried about that, and also fails Ctsprofile portion of safteynet. Id love to be able to fix this without erasing all of my data.... Thanks for any help in advance.

It's on global firmware as well

Lusorocaba

Nov 18, 2015
Would someone be able to share a copy of the boot images for 10.0.7 on an HD1910. My phone boots fine but after an ota update I've lost root, not to worried about that, and also fails Ctsprofile portion of safteynet. Id love to be able to fix this without erasing all of my data.... Thanks for any help in advance.

It's on global firmware as well

I also need

radx

Jun 22, 2008
Heres the official 10.0.7HD01BA for the European HD1913. I grabbed it from my own McLaren tonight when I got the OTA.

OnePlus7TProOxygen_14.E.15_OTA_015_all_2002022101_80ca5.zip
https://mega.nz/#!HK43UCLZ!kt1XSrmpgPMD2Wi2lvf8rsEEPz3myERlgSwL4HQ9yD4
MD5: a44bc78be9d6f8a6eb97c10d3fa01259

Changes:
Optimized the RAM management
Improved black/blank screen issues with some apps
Added the feature to support reminders for privacy alerts
Imrpoved system stability and fixed general bugs
Updated Android security patch to 2020.1.

This release it not for any other version out there. Only the european version.

sven93

Jul 1, 2008
I dont know what im doing wrong but when i boot magisk_patched.img a oneplus logo is really sloooow and my phone wont boot up ... then i must take unbrick tool flash system and again... i do this like 8 times and still the same result

Same issue here.
Followed the steps as described in the OP. But when I run "fastboot boot magisk_patched.img" it's just stuck in the boot process. Even so hard I have to turn it off via power+vol up.
The only way to boot it, is to run "fastboot --set-active=b" and reboot.
Also when I do fastboot boot with my original boot_a.img, it does not work, neither with a modded modified.img from one of the latest posts.

Can anyone give some tips or advice?
Thanks a lot!

Edit:
So... Executed: "fastboot --set-active=b" and then "fastboot boot magisk_patched.img", now it boots, can open Magisk, but really have no option to install Magisk to one of the slots/partitions.

Edit 2:
Nevermind, seems like you need data connection (4G since wifi does not work)... Then you can install.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avalun

Vomitblood

Jan 25, 2020
Hello all, I have Magisk Manager 7.5.1 and Magisk 20.3.
I have just factory reset my OnePlus 7T Pro and attempted to root.
-Whenever I boot up my magisk_patched.img for the first time after factory restting, Magisk Manager will show 'Magisk is installed'.
-However, after just a reboot, Magisk Manager will show 'Magisk is NOT installed'.
-Root functions are not working.
-The Google Drive Backup function is also not working. The backup button is just greyed out and labelled 'waiting to backup'.

Info:
-I have successfully rooted this same OnePlus 7T Pro previously.
-This device is on Oxygen OS 10.0.7, the last time it was rooted it was on 10.0.5. (Both are global ROMs).
-I did not unroot it myself, but when updating the Oxygen OS, I was alerted that 'the device will be unrooted'.
-I suspect the boot.img is damaged.
-I tried to install TWRP previously but ended up with a brick. I just flashed the old non-patched boot.img back to fix the brick.
-The Google Drive Backup is still able to restore after the factory reset

Anybody have any idea how to solve the root and backup issues?
Or is there any way that I can totally remove the root resources and start all over again?
Thanks in advance!

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello all, I have Magisk Manager 7.5.1 and Magisk 20.3.
I have just factory reset my OnePlus 7T Pro and attempted to root.
-Whenever I boot up my magisk_patched.img for the first time after factory restting, Magisk Manager will show 'Magisk is installed'.
-However, after just a reboot, Magisk Manager will show 'Magisk is NOT installed'.
-Root functions are not working.
-The Google Drive Backup function is also not working. The backup button is just greyed out and labelled 'waiting to backup'.

Info:
-I have successfully rooted this same OnePlus 7T Pro previously.
-This device is on Oxygen OS 10.0.7, the last time it was rooted it was on 10.0.5. (Both are global ROMs).
-I did not unroot it myself, but when updating the Oxygen OS, I was alerted that 'the device will be unrooted'.
-I suspect the boot.img is damaged.
-I tried to install TWRP previously but ended up with a brick. I just flashed the old non-patched boot.img back to fix the brick.
-The Google Drive Backup is still able to restore after the factory reset

Anybody have any idea how to solve the root and backup issues?
Or is there any way that I can totally remove the root resources and start all over again?
Thanks in advance!
After booting the image you'll need to direct install magisk, then reboot.

To preserve root after an OTA;
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/blob/master/docs/tutorials.md

Google drive backup is not working for me either, probably something on Google side.

Sent from my OnePlus7TPro using XDA Labs

radx

Jun 22, 2008
I had to re-root my phone. And I noticed there were some issues with OPs thread so here are the steps I took in order to get a successful root on the 10.0.7.

1. Unlock your phone.
2. Download twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img from here: https://xdaforums.com/7t-pro-mclaren/how-to/how-to-guide-root-oneplus-7t-pro-t4021325 (step 5)
3. Put your phone in fastboot-mode and type: fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img
4. Go inside TWRP (Swipe right)
5. Run these commands while your phone showing TWRP recovery normally and connected to your pc.
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img
adb pull /boot_a.img c:\android\
Note: You'll now get a boot_a.img on your pc at c:\android\boot_a.img
6. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone
7. Copy the c:\android\boot_a.img over to your phone
8. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then check these:
> Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity
> Preserve force encryption"
Then select the top "Install" button -> Tap "Install" -> Tap: "Select and patch a file" and select the boot_a.img from earlier.
9. on your phone you'll see where the magisk creates a new patched boot image. Transfer this file over to your pc. You'll likely need to reconnect the cable in order to refresh folder data to locate the new file.
10. Put your phone in fastboot-mode
11. Run these commands:
fastboot --set-active=b
fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
12. Phone will now boot with no wifi working. That's normal. Open Magisk and tap top "Install"-button again. Now click Direct Install. Then Reboot.
Note: If for some reason Magisk hangs during step 12 above you'll need to restart from step 11 again. Dont rush it when you start Magisk. Leave the phone alone for a minute after booting up and you should succeed.

That's it. Worked for me.

lowrider82

Jan 26, 2012
I had to re-root my phone. And I noticed there were some issues with OPs thread so here are the steps I took in order to get a successful root on the 10.0.7.

1. Unlock your phone.
2. Download twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img from here: https://xdaforums.com/7t-pro-mclaren/how-to/how-to-guide-root-oneplus-7t-pro-t4021325 (step 5)
3. Put your phone in fastboot-mode and type: fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img
5. Run these commands while your phone showing TWRP recovery normally and connected to your pc.
8. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then check these:
Then select the top "Install" button -> Tap "Install" -> Tap: "Select and patch a file" and select the boot_a.img from earlier.
9. on your phone you'll see where the magisk creates a new patched boot image. Transfer this file over to your pc. You'll likely need to reconnect the cable in order to refresh folder data to locate the new file.
11. Run these commands:
fastboot --set-active=b
12. Phone will now boot with no wifi working. That's normal. Open Magisk and tap top "Install"-button again. Now click Direct Install. Then Reboot.
Note: If for some reason Magisk hangs during step 12 above you'll need to restart from step 11 again. Dont rush it when you start Magisk. Leave the phone alone for a minute after booting up and you should succeed.

Hi, I am on OP7T Pro Mclaren Edition. I did step by step exactly what you describe, and now my phone hangs in the boot splash image right after step 11, it doesn't boot anymore. Any tip to revert it back to normal?

EDIT: I managed to start the phone again by switching to slot a with fastboot --set-active=a....however why is the problem happening in the first place? It gets stuck at the splash screen when it reboots right after I give it the fastboot boot magisk_patched.img ...... I waited for 5 minutes and it doesn't get past the splash. Basically now my slot b does not boot the phone anymore, I don't know how to fix it...any advice?

Last edited:

madcable

Aug 30, 2012
I've been following the thread. Seems like some people are losing root after restarting their phone. Now I'm hesitant to root.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!

2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

adb pull /boot_a.img pathinyourpc

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command

adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!
    Here are the files for 10.0.4 update-
    Magisk patched boot img
    Original boot img

All procedures are the same. Press Thanks if this helped you!
    Edit: This works well for 10.0.7 (tested). I had a bootloop on 10.0.8 and uses MSM Download Tool to restore 10.0.7.

To help people that did not understand how to do everything (like me the first time 👼), here how I done it :).

Prerequisites:

While the phone is on, reboot to fastboot using the advanced reboot menu or the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

Now the phone is on fastboot, temporarly boot on twrp (only boot, not flash):
    Code:
    fastboot boot ./twrp.img

This will reboot the phone to TWRP after few seconds.
    TWRP is not working (no decryption) BUT it allows to use adb commands (on the computer).

To get the boot image from the phone:
    Code:
    adb pull /boot_a.img "C:\Users\YOUR SESSION NAME\Desktop"

Now click on TWRP: reboot > system. The system will reboot to Android.

Note: boot_a.img size is around 98 Mb for 10.0.7. If you have something below like 20 Mb, then you do not have a full boot image! You have to restart the procedure.

Next follow steps 3 to 8 (download magisk, then patch the boot image, then flash it to the phone).
    Note: The magisk patched boot.img will be on download folder (android side, not PC)

How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!
    2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command
    Code:
    adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!

1. Unlock your phone.
    11. Run these commands:
    fastboot --set-active=b