FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,557 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,278

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th February 2020, 10:29 AM |#12041  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hello Guyz, please enlighten me in the diection of my new phone!
I usually buy midrange range phone and for that i have a budget of 200-300 USD +/-...... My previous phones , to give you an idea, are the Asus Zenfone 2, then the Redmi 3x, and latest was the mi A1.
I change phones every 2 years and now time has come to change the A1...
I live in Europe, but dont want brands as samsung og apple, and i've very much liked my experiences with Xiaomi.
What is important for me:
- Fluid functionality for daily day use
- Camera should at least be Decent!
- Good connectivity
- Good battery life
- Decent screen
- Clean OS

What is NOT important:
- I dont need much space.
- I do NOT game or multitask, its just for making calls and normal web/mail searches.
- Dont have the need of customs roms, blips and blops...

I was gonna get the xiaomi Mi A3, as i very much liked the clean android system, but i've heard that the screen has a very low Res, and looks pixelated...Then i thought i wait for the release of a mi A4...Its been rumoured, but no idea when its gonna happen

Other thoughts was the Note 8 pro, But i would rather have a Snapdragon...
So i guess i'm left with the Mi 9T? or maybe the Realme X2? i was looking at the Mi Max3, but its seems to have been around since 2018?
Any of these you would chose, or maybe have another suggestion?

Thank you in advance guyz, i'm having trouble making my mind....God i'm turning into my wife
27th February 2020, 09:21 AM |#12042  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperhla

Hello Guyz, please enlighten me in the diection of my new phone!
I usually buy midrange range phone and for that i have a budget of 200-300 USD +/-...... My previous phones , to give you an idea, are the Asus Zenfone 2, then the Redmi 3x, and latest was the mi A1.
I change phones every 2 years and now time has come to change the A1...
I live in Europe, but dont want brands as samsung og apple, and i've very much liked my experiences with Xiaomi.
What is important for me:
- Fluid functionality for daily day use
- Camera should at least be Decent!
- Good connectivity
- Good battery life
- Decent screen
- Clean OS

What is NOT important:
- I dont need much space.
- I do NOT game or multitask, its just for making calls and normal web/mail searches.
- Dont have the need of customs roms, blips and blops...

I was gonna get the xiaomi Mi A3, as i very much liked the clean android system, but i've heard that the screen has a very low Res, and looks pixelated...Then i thought i wait for the release of a mi A4...Its been rumoured, but no idea when its gonna happen

Other thoughts was the Note 8 pro, But i would rather have a Snapdragon...
So i guess i'm left with the Mi 9T? or maybe the Realme X2? i was looking at the Mi Max3, but its seems to have been around since 2018?
Any of these you would chose, or maybe have another suggestion?

Thank you in advance guyz, i'm having trouble making my mind....God i'm turning into my wife

I am using a Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Good battery life, you can even get 4 days on a single charge. Very good performance, the phone runs the very last Android 10, update dating 1st of January. The European version contains less to none ads. Like if you follow a 5 min tutorial on YouTube, you are getting rid of every ad available. Custom ROM problem aside, the mediatek runs OK, hadn't had any problem with resource hungry apps, like games or Adobe. The phone feels good in hand, corning gorilla glass, the camera is good. Let's say 8.5/10. The video recording is amazing. I do recommend.
27th February 2020, 09:54 AM |#12043  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

I am using a Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Good battery life, you can even get 4 days on a single charge. Very good performance, the phone runs the very last Android 10, update dating 1st of January. The European version contains less to none ads. Like if you follow a 5 min tutorial on YouTube, you are getting rid of every ad available. Custom ROM problem aside, the mediatek runs OK, hadn't had any problem with resource hungry apps, like games or Adobe. The phone feels good in hand, corning gorilla glass, the camera is good. Let's say 8.5/10. The video recording is amazing. I do recommend.

Thanks m8, I would probably have gone for it, if it wasn't a mediatek Chip

I would really prefer a snapdragon

The way it looks right now, i'm leaning more to the Mi 9T, but it seems the Mi A4 will be out in the middle of next month, and it looks really interesting, so i might just wait for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesperhla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jesperhla Ad-Free
6th March 2020, 04:54 AM |#12044  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi. My HTC 10 is in for repairs, & the shop seems to be putting up roadblocks to fixing it. I think I'm going to need a new phone. The HTC 10 was good, but it didn't last as long as I'd hoped (3.5 years). My perfect phone was my HTC Incredible S, which gave me 5 years of use, & it was easy to use one-handed.

So, what phone would you recommend given the following parameters:

- small enough to use one-handed (very important)

- long-lasting (very important)

- decent camera (doesn't have to be the best)

- fixable

- readily available worldwide (ie. not country specific)

- from a reputable manufacturer with no known security issues (I live in Taiwan, so no Chinese brands)

- as close to stock as possible (within reason)

Price is not a huge factor. Also, I have a spare phone to use in the meantime, so I can also wait for the new phones which will be announced this spring. Is there anything in the pipeline which would meet my needs?

Thanks for your help.
6th March 2020, 08:19 AM |#12045  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain

Hi. My HTC 10 is in for repairs, & the shop seems to be putting up roadblocks to fixing it. I think I'm going to need a new phone. The HTC 10 was good, but it didn't last as long as I'd hoped (3.5 years). My perfect phone was my HTC Incredible S, which gave me 5 years of use, & it was easy to use one-handed.

So, what phone would you recommend given the following parameters:

- small enough to use one-handed (very important)

- long-lasting (very important)

- decent camera (doesn't have to be the best)

- fixable

- readily available worldwide (ie. not country specific)

- from a reputable manufacturer with no known security issues (I live in Taiwan, so no Chinese brands)

- as close to stock as possible (within reason)

Price is not a huge factor. Also, I have a spare phone to use in the meantime, so I can also wait for the new phones which will be announced this spring. Is there anything in the pipeline which would meet my needs?

Thanks for your help.

No idea about your palm size. I have a Xiaomi Note 8 pro, about 7 inches screen and I use it one handed with ease. I would suggest instead of buying a expensive flagship that will satisfy you for 5 years to just go with mid-range ones for 3 years and renew. Cheaper on the wallet and you get very decent performance and battery. Now there are a few suggestions :

Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro
Samsung S20 Ultra
Redmi K20 Pro
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 8 Pro (releases around 14. April 2020)
6th March 2020, 11:51 AM |#12046  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

No idea about your palm size. I have a Xiaomi Note 8 pro, about 7 inches screen and I use it one handed with ease. I would suggest instead of buying a expensive flagship that will satisfy you for 5 years to just go with mid-range ones for 3 years and renew.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking for a small phone, so 7" is too big. My HTC 10 is almost at the upper limit, and it's 5.2" with noticeable bezels. If the bezels are reduced, it's possible a 5.5" may work; maybe even a 5.7" if there are absolutely no bezels. Also, no Chinese brands for security reasons.

Also, I want a long-lasting phone. Price isn't an issue for me. I don't find it very sustainable to get a new phone every 2-3 years. I'd like at least 4 years, but 5+ would be better. So reliability, longevity, and fixability are important to me.
6th March 2020, 12:13 PM |#12047  
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain

Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking for a small phone, so 7" is too big. My HTC 10 is almost at the upper limit, and it's 5.2" with noticeable bezels. If the bezels are reduced, it's possible a 5.5" may work; maybe even a 5.7" if there are absolutely no bezels. Also, no Chinese brands for security reasons.

Also, I want a long-lasting phone. Price isn't an issue for me. I don't find it very sustainable to get a new phone every 2-3 years. I'd like at least 4 years, but 5+ would be better. So reliability, longevity, and fixability are important to me.

It's hard to predict reliability of each model, since they all can have different problems that tend to pop up as they get older, but a good bet is to pick something that has a fairly easy to replace battery and charging port (most likely to fail within 5 years). You can check ifixit for repairability ratings. I'm sure I can get 5 years out of my OnePlus 5 (working great at 3 years and I'll replace the battery and charging port if required to keep it another couple years). That doesn't help you because it is Chinese.

Maybe check out the latest Samsung, LG and Sony top of the line phones and compare repairability?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
9th March 2020, 10:18 PM |#12048  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello,

I have been wavering on what phone to buy as my next development device. I'm torn between saving money with a OnePlus 6T, staying stock Google with a Pixel 4, or going all out with the latest tech in a S20. This is meant for development only and I'd like to get another device that'll be good for development over the next few years (my OnePlus 4 did well until last week when it died).

Any thoughts are appreciated to help me see something I'm leaving out.
9th March 2020, 11:29 PM |#12049  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,425

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by firrae

Hello,

I have been wavering on what phone to buy as my next development device. I'm torn between saving money with a OnePlus 6T, staying stock Google with a Pixel 4, or going all out with the latest tech in a S20. This is meant for development only and I'd like to get another device that'll be good for development over the next few years (my OnePlus 4 did well until last week when it died).

Any thoughts are appreciated to help me see something I'm leaving out.

Purely for development, or even just for daily driver purposes I'd recommend the Pixel 4XL over any of those.

You will be happy with it for at least 2-3 if needed. Good luck!

PS. There was no OnePlus 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to CamoGeko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CamoGeko Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 12:14 AM |#12050  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Purely for development, or even just for daily driver purposes I'd recommend the Pixel 4XL over any of those.

You will be happy with it for at least 2-3 if needed. Good luck!

PS. There was no OnePlus 4.

You're right it was a 3T. I'm just mainly split on if having the newer processor in the S20 is worth the extra cost. I don't really trust Samsung to keep it updated though.
11th March 2020, 03:49 AM |#12051  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Hello, any recommendations for an older phone that I can use for media? I just switched to my LG g8 but I can't root it and I don't want to root it as it is my primary phone. I just sold my sony xz premium, it was worth too much to keep for a media-only phone. I'm looking for an older (or cheaper) phone that I can easily root. I am addicted to the V4A sound mod. I was looking for one with running android 5.0+ and has 64+ gb of rom (or expandable memory) so I can download all my Spotify music to it and use it offline since it won't be used for much else. Recommendations I have seen so far the moto x4, moto g6, and Xiaomi redmi note 5/ pro. Any other maybe cheaper recommendations? I know I sound like a choosing begger, in sorry.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)