608 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,353

Post Reply Email Thread
4th March 2020, 08:48 PM |#14411  
Thanks Meter: 1,393

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

I always (hard) reboot; it just takes maximum a minute - so what. And as I only update AdAway once a week, I think that's pretty decent.

For the matter of fact, I used to set AdAway to update automatically every day, and only over WiFi, but it really properly worked for me like three or more years ago on some Lollipop phone - although I did try various things (keep it working in background, disabling battery optimization) on various newer phones and Android versions

But as you say, updating hosts manually once every or every second weekend (as part of some hygiene, when you get time) is good enough

Effectively, you can turn off auto-starting AdAway, running in background, auto-updating - just start AdAway once a week or so, let it update hosts, reboot the phone and forget till next time

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacke

@Ultramanoid

I agree totally regarding your statements in the brackets and that are the reasons why i run all my phones (including my current pixel 4 xl) only with Roms which don't include Gapps and Google Play Services.

Good to see that i'm not the only one who thinks about this in that way

Off topic
8th March 2020, 11:30 AM |#14412  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I want to whitelist this website plzz help me

MOD EDIT:

Attachment showing links to warez/ppc/ppd removed.
8th March 2020, 01:13 PM |#14413  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonkhan826

Use Logcat, try to login/download in your app/whatever, inspect the log to find where it wants to go but DNS resolving fails

Enter that domain to Whitelist in AdAway, reboot and try again - there might be it that wants to go to several sites that are blocked, and you must whitelist them all
8th March 2020, 01:23 PM |#14414  
Forum Moderator
Flag Deep Space Station K7
Thanks Meter: 3,528

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonkhan826

There's a Wiki for that
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 01:48 PM |#14415  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks
Great work on the app. Thanks a ton.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Is there any easy way to update the app. I know the definitions do get updated automatically. But since this is not present on the play store, it is very difficult to know when an update is available.
10th March 2020, 01:56 PM |#14416  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
Thanks Meter: 10,122

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmysterygame

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Is there any easy way to update the app. I know the definitions do get updated automatically. But since this is not present on the play store, it is very difficult to know when an update is available.

I use F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.adaway/
The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 01:56 PM |#14417  
Forum Moderator
Flag Deep Space Station K7
Thanks Meter: 3,528

More
Quote:

Either use F-Droid or follow this thread.

IMHO, this is an app where the user does not suffer if not on the latest and greatest release. It does one thing (very well) and unless an OS update causes problems, you really aren't missing functionality of you are doing to update.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 02:15 PM |#14418  

More
Quote:

You must make sure that you every week or so force updating of hosts file (AdAway settings).
That has nothing to do with updating of the app itself (don't expect more than few updates of the app during a year)

There is a setting to force auto-pdating of hosts file on every reboot - but you probably don't reboot the phone every day.
There is also a setting to force auro-updating of hosts file every day - but there is a high chance that it won't work as expected

So better, take time like every weekend and force updating of hosts file and then reboot
The Following User Says Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 02:55 PM |#14419  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Question about Regex and IPtables
Hey guys,
I searched the whole thread for "regex" and found only two mentions about it so I decided to put the question on the group.
Question is I tried add an entry on whitelist like *googleadservice.com but the button "apply" grayed out.
So the question is , is Regex is supported ? if yes how is the sintax.
tks
10th March 2020, 03:32 PM |#14420  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 849

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardonarico

Hey guys,
I searched the whole thread for "regex" and found only two mentions about it so I decided to put the question on the group.
Question is I tried add an entry on whitelist like *googleadservice.com but the button "apply" grayed out.
So the question is , is Regex is supported ? if yes how is the sintax.
tks

Regex would be great, but alas, no. It is an issue with DNS on phone, it does not accept regex expressions in the hosts file. AdAway can put them in, but it would be confusing when they didn't work. Better to not allow them so there's an indication that they won't work right away.
The Following User Says Thank You to githyanki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift githyanki Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 08:30 PM |#14421  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,353

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

That's a point I try to solve with the next version. It will bundle a "check for app update" feature that will notify you from app homescreen and allow to check the changelog, download and install the latest version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Either use F-Droid or follow this thread.

IMHO, this is an app where the user does not suffer if not on the latest and greatest release. It does one thing (very well) and unless an OS update causes problems, you really aren't missing functionality of you are doing to update.

Thanks! Again, no update needed until you want some new features or some compatibility improvements. The check for update feature will only display a discrete label that a new version is available. It's up to you to care or not.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)