10th March 2020, 08:30 PM |#14421  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,353

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmysterygame

Great work on the app. Thanks a ton.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Is there any easy way to update the app. I know the definitions do get updated automatically. But since this is not present on the play store, it is very difficult to know when an update is available.

That's a point I try to solve with the next version. It will bundle a "check for app update" feature that will notify you from app homescreen and allow to check the changelog, download and install the latest version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Either use F-Droid or follow this thread.

IMHO, this is an app where the user does not suffer if not on the latest and greatest release. It does one thing (very well) and unless an OS update causes problems, you really aren't missing functionality of you are doing to update.

Thanks! Again, no update needed until you want some new features or some compatibility improvements. The check for update feature will only display a discrete label that a new version is available. It's up to you to care or not.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 08:55 PM |#14422  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,657

More
I care about not caring about updates.

But seriously, to channel some pertinent thoughts which have come up before regarding updating the app and lists:

AdAway is one of the least needy of apps regarding app updates, and this stands out in a world of updates for the sake of updates.

I install the newest version of Adaway on every device at flash then install the one minimal (AdAway) list and restore 30 or so manually added items. The aforementioned scenario will remain unchanged with no updates for many months on my primary device, over a year on secondary devices, without becoming less effective.

I have admittedly light requirements for the hosts list but even for those who require larger and more recent host entries, updating the list is what you want. No need to get update-happy about the app unless, as mentioned, there is a specific sought-after fix in the works.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
10th March 2020, 10:33 PM |#14423  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,375

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardonarico

Hey guys,
I searched the whole thread for "regex" and found only two mentions about it so I decided to put the question on the group.
Question is I tried add an entry on whitelist like *googleadservice.com but the button "apply" grayed out.
So the question is , is Regex is supported ? if yes how is the sintax.
tks

Joker (wild) chars are forbidden for blacklists but allowed on whitelists. So your example would work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200310-223155.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	4968617  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
11th March 2020, 09:15 AM |#14424  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks
Thanks! Didnt know about Fdroid. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

I use F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.adaway/

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Thank you.
Didnt know about F-droid. Will try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Either use F-Droid or follow this thread.

IMHO, this is an app where the user does not suffer if not on the latest and greatest release. It does one thing (very well) and unless an OS update causes problems, you really aren't missing functionality of you are doing to update.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Great! That will be an awesome feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfg

You must make sure that you every week or so force updating of hosts file (AdAway settings).
That has nothing to do with updating of the app itself (don't expect more than few updates of the app during a year)

There is a setting to force auto-pdating of hosts file on every reboot - but you probably don't reboot the phone every day.
There is also a setting to force auro-updating of hosts file every day - but there is a high chance that it won't work as expected

So better, take time like every weekend and force updating of hosts file and then reboot

11th March 2020, 06:04 PM |#14425  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
I've been using AdAway for years now and up until recently, ads were always replaced with blank space. Lately, I always get a red outlined box where the ad would be and the box always contains the following text:

Missing AdActivity with android:configChanges in AndroidManifest.xml

I don't know if this is an AdAway issue specifically but I was hoping someone might have some insight regarding a fix.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jp0469 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jp0469 Ad-Free
11th March 2020, 06:54 PM |#14426  
Thanks Meter: 1,393

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0469

I've been using AdAway for years now and up until recently, ads were always replaced with blank space. Lately, I always get a red outlined box where the ad would be and the box always contains the following text:

Missing AdActivity with android:configChanges in AndroidManifest.xml

I don't know if this is an AdAway issue specifically but I was hoping someone might have some insight regarding a fix.

With AdAway (or with DNS66, or similar tools) DNS resolving to pull the ad gets failed (resolved to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 or similarly for IPv6 - depending on the host sources you use and your AdAway settings)

What would the partiicular app do / present in the box the app wanted to use to show the ad is purely up to the given app

Otherwise, you would need to buy a paid version of each particular app (if available) that doesn't bother with ads, or look for the tampered versions of apps where displaying of ads is removed
The Following User Says Thank You to zgfg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zgfg Ad-Free
11th March 2020, 08:57 PM |#14427  

More
Quote:

With AdAway (or with DNS66, or similar tools) DNS resolving to pull the ad gets failed (resolved to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 or similarly for IPv6 - depending on the host sources you use and your AdAway settings)

What would the partiicular app do / present in the box the app wanted to use to show the ad is purely up to the given app

Otherwise, you would need to buy a paid version of each particular app (if available) that doesn't bother with ads, or look for the tampered versions of apps where displaying of ads is removed

Makes sense, it just seems odd that it started happening with several apps all around the same time and it's apps that never behaved this way before with AdAway in place.
11th March 2020, 09:30 PM |#14428  
Thanks Meter: 1,393

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0469

Makes sense, it just seems odd that it started happening with several apps all around the same time and it's apps that never behaved this way before with AdAway in place.

IMO, apps use Google API for ads.
Maybe apps were recently updated, and/or maybe it depends on updating Google Play Services or so
12th March 2020, 06:09 PM |#14429  

More
Quote:

IMO, apps use Google API for ads.
Maybe apps were recently updated, and/or maybe it depends on updating Google Play Services or so

Thanks for the replies. I've at least ruled out AdAway as the cause by disabling it and using Adguard DNS. The result was the same behavior.
12th March 2020, 06:15 PM |#14430  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 4,322

More
Will adaway someday be usable without root?
12th March 2020, 06:26 PM |#14431  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
Thanks Meter: 10,124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotkurtcobain

Will adaway someday be usable without root?

Negative; not as long as root is required to edit the hosts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)