FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,278

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th March 2020, 03:49 AM |#12051  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Hello, any recommendations for an older phone that I can use for media? I just switched to my LG g8 but I can't root it and I don't want to root it as it is my primary phone. I just sold my sony xz premium, it was worth too much to keep for a media-only phone. I'm looking for an older (or cheaper) phone that I can easily root. I am addicted to the V4A sound mod. I was looking for one with running android 5.0+ and has 64+ gb of rom (or expandable memory) so I can download all my Spotify music to it and use it offline since it won't be used for much else. Recommendations I have seen so far the moto x4, moto g6, and Xiaomi redmi note 5/ pro. Any other maybe cheaper recommendations? I know I sound like a choosing begger, in sorry.
11th March 2020, 05:40 AM |#12052  
Thanks Meter: 1,918

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJesri13

Hello, any recommendations for an older phone that I can use for media? I just switched to my LG g8 but I can't root it and I don't want to root it as it is my primary phone. I just sold my sony xz premium, it was worth too much to keep for a media-only phone. I'm looking for an older (or cheaper) phone that I can easily root. I am addicted to the V4A sound mod. I was looking for one with running android 5.0+ and has 64+ gb of rom (or expandable memory) so I can download all my Spotify music to it and use it offline since it won't be used for much else. Recommendations I have seen so far the moto x4, moto g6, and Xiaomi redmi note 5/ pro. Any other maybe cheaper recommendations? I know I sound like a choosing begger, in sorry.

htc m8. easily rooted. v4A or A.R.I.S.E. sounds awesome. what i had during ARISE testing days.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
11th March 2020, 09:15 AM |#12053  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,999

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJesri13

I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 gt-i9506 as my daily and also as 2 other dev phones., I think they do all your requirements, and are cheap second hand on eBay.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
13th March 2020, 11:14 PM |#12054  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hi,
The Screen of my Xiaomi Redmi 3S died today, so I am looking for a new phone currently.
It should be in the same dimensions-category like the Redmi 3S (139.3 x 69.6 x 8.5 mm | 5.48 x 2.74 x 0.33 in) but with better camera.

The Xiaomi Mi A3 caught my eye, but its glass-backpanel keeps me back, because it would shatter if i drop it once. So it would be maybe better to go with the older Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite?

I am open to any recommendations also other brands.
(Though headphonejack is a must-have)
13th March 2020, 11:36 PM |#12055  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon_Master

Hi,
The Screen of my Xiaomi Redmi 3S died today, so I am looking for a new phone currently.
It should be in the same dimensions-category like the Redmi 3S (139.3 x 69.6 x 8.5 mm | 5.48 x 2.74 x 0.33 in) but with better camera.

The Xiaomi Mi A3 caught my eye, but its glass-backpanel keeps me back, because it would shatter if i drop it once. So it would be maybe better to go with the older Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite?

I am open to any recommendations also other brands.
(Though headphonejack is a must-have)

First, you said you wanted a phone similar in dimensions with the Redmi 3S, but the Xiaomi Mi A3 has a noticeable difference.

For 6 inch smartphones you could go with the Samsung S10 or One plus 6.

Unfortunately, 5 inch phones from a reputable brand are a drying breed. You could go with an S6, the community is still alive, developing roms with Android 10 nowadays. Also, there is an option to swap the batteries with a S7 edge, giving you more battery life. So the S6 might be your best bet for 5 inches smartphones
16th March 2020, 06:18 PM |#12056  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Looking for a rootable Android tablet
I'd like to purchase an Android tablet that is rootable, I have heard that the Nexus series was easy to root, but I was wondering if there was anything more recent.
16th March 2020, 09:38 PM |#12057  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wstegema

I'd like to purchase an Android tablet that is rootable, I have heard that the Nexus series was easy to root, but I was wondering if there was anything more recent.

What do you want to do with root? Why do you want root?
16th March 2020, 09:42 PM |#12058  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

What do you want to do with root? Why do you want root?

First, I would like to do some testing with Lineage OS and use some root only apps, secondly for my brother to play PoGo while under quarantine
17th March 2020, 11:49 AM |#12059  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wstegema

First, I would like to do some testing with Lineage OS and use some root only apps, secondly for my brother to play PoGo while under quarantine

First, the makers of Pokemon Go have improved their root checking feature, therefore you might not be able to hide root from them anymore. And spoofing your location might guarantee your brother a ban.

Second, root apps aren't some extraordinary apps. Don't expect a huge increase in performance. If you get around 40% more performance, that's in the best case scenario.

I would recommend going for this tablet from 2016.
(https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galax...16)-8090.php), easily rootable, lots of custom roms, cheap. Have fun
19th March 2020, 05:03 AM |#12060  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Is it a good idea to get a Nova 5T now? It's a rebranded Honor 20. I like the high-end processor and it comes with Google services. The only Huawei phone I've had is the Honor 5X, which was slow at first and became unusable about a year later. Do Honor phones with better specs generally last longer?
19th March 2020, 09:42 AM |#12061  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsanjay19

Is it a good idea to get a Nova 5T now? It's a rebranded Honor 20. I like the high-end processor and it comes with Google services. The only Huawei phone I've had is the Honor 5X, which was slow at first and became unusable about a year later. Do Honor phones with better specs generally last longer?

Huawei no longer gives codes to unlock your bootloader. So no more custom roms for anyone using huawei. They might have better specs, but Huawei takes its time providing updates to firmware. I ve got a tablet, bought in 2019, still running Android 8, in a year of Android 11. I would stay clear of Huawei. Try Xiaomi. Heard the K20 Pro is quite good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)