FORUMS

[ROM][For inactive devices]Ubersonic RC3 is HERE!!! (yes its ICS 4.0.4)

715 posts
Thanks Meter: 388

By frickinjerms, Senior Member on 24th August 2012, 02:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th March 2020, 04:43 PM |#311  
Here's a link to the latest Supersonic TWRP, the latest ICS Google Apps, Ubersonic ROM rc2, and Ubersonic ROM rc3 from my free Dropbox account: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzgbf5eqj...P-XD3y4wa?dl=0 I'll keep them available as long as I can, but with free accounts, space is at a premium.
9th March 2020, 07:43 PM |#312  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcaroth

Here's a link to the latest Supersonic TWRP, the latest ICS Google Apps, Ubersonic ROM rc2, and Ubersonic ROM rc3 from my free Dropbox account: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzgbf5eqj...P-XD3y4wa?dl=0 I'll keep them available as long as I can, but with free accounts, space is at a premium.

This is perfect @Charcaroth - Thank you kindly!
10th March 2020, 01:24 PM |#313  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Not for nuthin' but I decided to see what I can do with this perfect little player and was able to get KitKat 4.4.4. on this using the Team Nocturnal ROM. I also was able to get App2SD to work so my SK card gives it 3 gig memory now which will allow me to use this as a streamer, player, and use google voice so can even use it as a 'home phone'. I have had weird events as well with reboots if the battery gets down to 87% or so, but seems to all be battery related issues. Recently i decided to put in an extended battery and got 5 hours of video playback time on it!
10th March 2020, 01:51 PM |#314  
Flag Chicago

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidave199

Not for nuthin' but I decided to see what I can do with this perfect little player and was able to get KitKat 4.4.4. on this using the Team Nocturnal ROM. I also was able to get App2SD to work so my SK card gives it 3 gig memory now which will allow me to use this as a streamer, player, and use google voice so can even use it as a 'home phone'. I have had weird events as well with reboots if the battery gets down to 87% or so, but seems to all be battery related issues. Recently i decided to put in an extended battery and got 5 hours of video playback time on it!

Obliged - as of now this 4.0.4 ROM is working wonderfully --- its only job is to stream Pandora (paid) off of my home network from a powered dock.

For just streaming Pandora paid from the home wifi would you recommend jumping from 4.0.4 to 4.4.4?
10th March 2020, 03:18 PM |#315  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeeder

would you recommend jumping from 4.0.4 to 4.4.4?

no way! It is a small hassle to get it to run Kit Kat.... I would DEFINATELY keep with RC3!! Enjoy!
10th March 2020, 04:19 PM |#316  
Flag Chicago

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidave199

no way! It is a small hassle to get it to run Kit Kat.... I would DEFINATELY keep with RC3!! Enjoy!

Kindly, I thank you
10th March 2020, 07:21 PM |#317  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeeder

Obliged - as of now this 4.0.4 ROM is working wonderfully --- its only job is to stream Pandora (paid) off of my home network from a powered dock.

For just streaming Pandora paid from the home wifi would you recommend jumping from 4.0.4 to 4.4.4?

I ran the Evervolv KitKat 4.4 ROM for a while when it came out and it was unbearably slow with only 512mb RAM on the EVO 4G. I don't recall any apps that didn't take minutes to open and even then, they often crashed. Gingerbread worked great (there were/are many great GB ROMs on XDA), and there were no Honeycomb ROMs (though I had Android 3.0 on my late lamented GoogleTV), but I think ICS (4.0) is probably the latest Android that runs with any efficiency on the Evo 4G. Unless a new developer gets interested in doing a throwback ICS, JB, or KK ROM, I think you'll be better off running Ubersonic for the remainder of the life of the Evo 4G, though I wish it were otherwise.
10th March 2020, 07:55 PM |#318  
Flag Chicago

More
Quote:

Unless a new developer gets interested in doing a throwback ICS, JB, or KK ROM, I think you'll be better off running Ubersonic for the remainder of the life of the Evo 4G, though I wish it were otherwise.

Thanks, so long as Pandora paid continues to stream, and is relatively responsive, I'll gladly continue using this through the next decade (.... so long as pandora continues to be our music provider of course).

My fallback option was a $100 Android 9.0 tablet... but the Evo 4G fills this need so nicely as is.
Thanks for keeping up with these old devices forums folks
11th March 2020, 09:44 PM |#319  

More
Quote:

I ran the Evervolv KitKat 4.4 ROM for a while when it came out and it was unbearably slow with only 512mb RAM on the EVO 4G.

I hear ya, it was not really a treat to run on ICS either but was at least manageable. The secret is being able to load A2SD which is a bit of a hassle but as I learn more about Linux and partitioning, I was able to do it. In effect it turns a few Gig of your SD card into RAM and then allows you to have a reasonably functional phone. KitKat was Google's first foray into the 'modern' settings so you can use more of their features. I use my EVO as a 'take to the gym' phone since it slips into its holster on my arm so perfectly.. Not to big and not to small. I can also dump a much of shows from my TiVo onto the phone and on trips or flights watch my shows and the removable battery means I can just swap at my leisure and not depend on a charge bank.. so can play back my music, make phone calls over the wifi if needed and utilize some of the workout apps and fitness apps that are no longer compatible below 4.4.

Im not throwing shade at the RC3! I loved RC3 and think it is a GREAT use for the phone, I guess I just figured why not try and push this GREAT phone and see what it can really do.

Dave
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
time to wipe off the dust

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)