FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,278

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th March 2020, 09:42 AM |#12061  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsanjay19

Is it a good idea to get a Nova 5T now? It's a rebranded Honor 20. I like the high-end processor and it comes with Google services. The only Huawei phone I've had is the Honor 5X, which was slow at first and became unusable about a year later. Do Honor phones with better specs generally last longer?

Huawei no longer gives codes to unlock your bootloader. So no more custom roms for anyone using huawei. They might have better specs, but Huawei takes its time providing updates to firmware. I ve got a tablet, bought in 2019, still running Android 8, in a year of Android 11. I would stay clear of Huawei. Try Xiaomi. Heard the K20 Pro is quite good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
19th March 2020, 02:46 PM |#12062  
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

First, you said you wanted a phone similar in dimensions with the Redmi 3S, but the Xiaomi Mi A3 has a noticeable difference.

For 6 inch smartphones you could go with the Samsung S10 or One plus 6.

Unfortunately, 5 inch phones from a reputable brand are a drying breed. You could go with an S6, the community is still alive, developing roms with Android 10 nowadays. Also, there is an option to swap the batteries with a S7 edge, giving you more battery life. So the S6 might be your best bet for 5 inches smartphones

I had the s6 for a while, it was probably the best Samsung phone I've ever had. It was also the best custom rom experience I ever had (xtrestolite rom on marshmallow), made the phone a lot faster and no glitches unlike most custom roms I've had. I still remember how good that phone felt in the hand.
20th March 2020, 12:45 AM |#12063  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,425

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

I had the s6 for a while, it was probably the best Samsung phone I've ever had. It was also the best custom rom experience I ever had (xtrestolite rom on marshmallow), made the phone a lot faster and no glitches unlike most custom roms I've had. I still remember how good that phone felt in the hand.

S6 is a great device, someone in my family was using it for years and years. Then it was passed down to another member who used it for another 2-3 years.

No issues ever with that device, although just running stock.
20th March 2020, 05:41 PM |#12064  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello XDA!
I'd like to buy a cheap (second hand is fine as long as they're not hard to find second hand), small tablet (7 inch/8 inch, 7 is better) that is supported by the custom ROM community (specifically, to run a degoogled ROM, even if microG isn't available) and supports USB host (connecting a wired keyboard).

LineageOS official doesn't seem to support almost any such devices, are there others that other ROMS/unofficial builds support?
Specs don't matter as long as it can run an up to date OS (or even an older OS that's still supported), this is mainly for notes/calendar and writing schoolwork.

Thanks!
20th March 2020, 10:18 PM |#12065  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilazo

Hello XDA!
I'd like to buy a cheap (second hand is fine as long as they're not hard to find second hand), small tablet (7 inch/8 inch, 7 is better) that is supported by the custom ROM community (specifically, to run a degoogled ROM, even if microG isn't available) and supports USB host (connecting a wired keyboard).

LineageOS official doesn't seem to support almost any such devices, are there others that other ROMS/unofficial builds support?
Specs don't matter as long as it can run an up to date OS (or even an older OS that's still supported), this is mainly for notes/calendar and writing schoolwork.

Thanks!

Hello, I would suggest this tablet
(https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_pad_4-9249.php). Active community, the latest rom and easy to root and flash a custom rom. Second hand or not, it is quite cheap as well
20th March 2020, 10:27 PM |#12066  

More
Galaxy A50 vs A51
I would to purchase one of these devices, in my country the A51 is appr. 80 USD more. I've seen the A51 got bad reviews regarding its day to day performance, and camera performance. The A50 reviews didn't mention sluggish performace but It seems Samsung made some key upgrades with their A51 so It left me baffled.
I would like to here your opinions regarding these phones. espeically from people who have experience with these phones.
thx.
25th March 2020, 05:56 AM |#12067  

More
I don't use my phone that much. I was thinking I could get a nicer second hand phone for the same price as a really low tier budget phone but I just don't know anything about what phones are good or safe to get without a warranty. The only touch screen phone I've ever had is this Moto G2 that seemed like it was starting to die, but I reset it and it's running OK. I paid $180 for it and I was hoping to spend less this time. I have no use for a huge screen and this is clearly the main option culling my selections, trying to keep the height under 6 inches. I want a phone with a 3.5mm that can run a fairly sensitive IEM without noticeable hiss and a storage expansion slot. GSM unlocked. A better camera than my Moto G2 which has a really shite one.

The options I have been considering around $110 or less:
* Whichever I can get cheapest and in best shape second hand between LG V30, V30s/+, V35, and G7 or Moto Z2 Play
* New/Open Box Huawei P Smart, LG Q7, Sony Xperia XA2, Nokia 6.1

The options around $140-$170:
* New/Open Box Moto Z2 Play, Sony Xperia XZ1, LG V30

Genuinely appreciate any input or suggestions.
25th March 2020, 08:52 AM |#12068  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by black*halo

I don't use my phone that much. I was thinking I could get a nicer second hand phone for the same price as a really low tier budget phone but I just don't know anything about what phones are good or safe to get without a warranty. The only touch screen phone I've ever had is this Moto G2 that seemed like it was starting to die, but I reset it and it's running OK. I paid $180 for it and I was hoping to spend less this time. I have no use for a huge screen and this is clearly the main option culling my selections, trying to keep the height under 6 inches. I want a phone with a 3.5mm that can run a fairly sensitive IEM without noticeable hiss and a storage expansion slot. GSM unlocked. A better camera than my Moto G2 which has a really shite one.

The options I have been considering around $110 or less:
* Whichever I can get cheapest and in best shape second hand between LG V30, V30s/+, V35, and G7 or Moto Z2 Play
* New/Open Box Huawei P Smart, LG Q7, Sony Xperia XA2, Nokia 6.1

The options around $140-$170:
* New/Open Box Moto Z2 Play, Sony Xperia XZ1, LG V30

Genuinely appreciate any input or suggestions.

I would suggest Xiaomi is a better alternative at that price range.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_pocophone_f1-9293.php

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_8-9800.php

https://www.google.ro/amp/s/m.gsmare...120.php?espv=1

Under 6 inches, there s the samsung s6. Wonderful phone, very active community
25th March 2020, 11:11 AM |#12069  

More
Hey guys ,

I have a simple question.
What Would you prefer ?
The realme x2 pro with 128gb and 8gb RAM .
Or the k30 pro with 128gb and i think 6gb RAM .

Im so confused what i should buy
25th March 2020, 12:21 PM |#12070  

More
Hi!

Need some advice to buy a tablet (netflix, films, comics, etc). I'm highly sensitive to PWM / flickering.

I'm between Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2019 vs Huawei MediaPad M5 lite vs Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab.
All these are more or less the same price, usb-c, same resolution, although huawei has android 8.0 and the others 9.0.

These tablets have not PWM, but I have read on notebookcheck that Tab A 2019 "However, the display does flicker at 60 Hz according to our oscilloscope, so this may still cause issues for some people.", even if later they say it has not PWM so...

What is your recommendation? Which one could be better? It's worth it to pay a little more for the 4Gb ram / 64 rom on Tab A and M5 Lite?

Thank you so much!
25th March 2020, 12:40 PM |#12071  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVB-Ger

Hey guys ,

I have a simple question.
What Would you prefer ?
The realme x2 pro with 128gb and 8gb RAM .
Or the k30 pro with 128gb and i think 6gb RAM .

Im so confused what i should buy

The chipsets deliver the same performance, the x2 has better screen and Dolby Atmos, lesser battery than the k30 pro. I would go with the x2 pro in this scenario. Would go with the k30 pro if the 8 gb ram version
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)