FORUMS

[APP][Root][OFFICIAL] AdAway v4.3.4 :: [2020-04-25]

627 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,201
 
Post Reply Email Thread
16th March 2020, 12:56 PM |#14441  
ktmom's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Deep Space Station K7
Thanks Meter: 3,532
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocciacoraggiosa45

It's possible to exclude one or two apps from adblocking?

If you log the DNS requests, then whitelist those requests for the apps, you can effectively remove them from blocking. See the Adaway DNS Logging wiki.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
19th March 2020, 04:10 PM |#14442  
PerfectSlayer's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,201
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

I doubt that it's possible. And as @PerfectSlayer calls it a "fallback method for non-rooted users" on Twitter my personal assumption is that he's going to implement a VPN method into AdAway for non-rooted users while rooted users are still able to edit the hosts file. At least I hope latter is true, as my VPN is already block by OpenVPN to the Raspberry Pi in our home network.

You guess it right. At the start up, you can choose between root and vpn blocking methods. Otherwise, the UI and behavior stays the same

Root blocking method is faster and battery friendly but require root and writable system, typically Magisk.
But with the possible coming limitations (SafetyNet, improved security in next Android versions) it could be the right time to provide an alternative option.
VPN blocking method provides a good compatibility as it is offered by the system but has some limitations like only one VPN at the time and it runs in background.
I also researched how to use the new private DNS settings and DNS over TLS the past years but nothing really works without root...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocciacoraggiosa45

It's possible to exclude one or two apps from adblocking?

It's a thing that will be easier to achieve with VPN blocking. I just finish the UI to exclude the app you want.
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
19th March 2020, 04:34 PM |#14443  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
More
@PerfectSlayer

Regarding Private DNS and VPN blocking mode:
Mayby the devs of Blockada know a way. I believe they have the same problem.

And thx that you offer the root method parallel to the vpn method in the next version. So every user can decide which method he prefers.
(I will remain with root method because i don't want to sacrifice the private dns).
19th March 2020, 04:42 PM |#14444  
PerfectSlayer's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,201
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacke

@PerfectSlayer

Regarding Private DNS and VPN blocking mode:
Mayby the devs of Blockada know a way. I believe they have the same problem.

And thx that you offer the root method parallel to the vpn method in the next version. So every user can decide which method he prefers.
(I will remain with root method because i don't want to sacrifice the private dns).

It's on my todo list to forward VPN intercepted DNS requests to a custom private DNS (chosen by user from settings).
The only limitation is you will have to disable it from Android preference as I don't want to intercept and break secure DNS requests then enable it in AdAway.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
19th March 2020, 05:07 PM |#14445  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

It's on my todo list to forward VPN intercepted DNS requests to a custom private DNS (chosen by user from settings).
The only limitation is you will have to disable it from Android preference as I don't want to intercept and break secure DNS requests then enable it in AdAway.

So the dns requests goes to the dns server which the user configured in AdAway. And are these requests then encrypted or not?
That part isn't completly clear to me yet.
19th March 2020, 10:20 PM |#14446  
rocciacoraggiosa45's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bari
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
@PerfectSlayer
Method from @ktmom work good[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

[/COLOR @PerfectSlayer
Method from @ktmom work good
23rd March 2020, 02:08 AM |#14447  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 971
 
More
Im on the latest build and update regularly but some ads are slipping through on certain apps. For example I use seetv (old phone cam app) and ads break through all the time, but are Google add while webpage ads are consistently blocked.

What can cause this? I can't figure it out.

OnePlus 7t, rooted running Android 10 and I have selected systemless on both magisk and adawa.

Search feature times out for me so I'm sorry if it's been asked before.
23rd March 2020, 12:22 PM |#14448  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh McGrath

Im on the latest build and update regularly but some ads are slipping through on certain apps. For example I use seetv (old phone cam app) and ads break through all the time, but are Google add while webpage ads are consistently blocked.

What can cause this? I can't figure it out.

OnePlus 7t, rooted running Android 10 and I have selected systemless on both magisk and adawa.

Search feature times out for me so I'm sorry if it's been asked before.

As far as i see it there are one of these reasons which can cause your problem:

1. The ad domains don't exist in one of blocking lists and you must add them manually in the custom entries menu of AdAway.

2. The ad domains are hardcoded over IP adresses. In that case AdAway can't help because AdAway only look at dns level. Better use AfWall+ as extra layer to block the unwanted IPs.
23rd March 2020, 03:38 PM |#14449  
MMN's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
So far I have used adaway with custom roms without any problems.
But on my new MIUI (v11) autostart of the web server does not work: I always have to start the web server manually.
Unfortunately I have not found a suitable solution so far. Does anyone know one?

Update:
I didn't see the possibility to "autostart" each app with the built-in appmanager.
Now it's working.
24th March 2020, 08:55 AM |#14450  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 200
 
More
As far as I know there is option to log dns requests but is it possible to add feature which shows if particular dns request is blocked or allowed so we can take action according to it ?
24th March 2020, 11:47 AM |#14451  
Account currently disabled
Flag Nantes
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
How to manage per-app with AdAway ? gotta find the hosts my apps use and delete them from the file ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes