FORUMS

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.

1,622 Vote(s)
64.03%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.

420 Vote(s)
16.58%
I don't know.

491 Vote(s)
19.38%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,428 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,932

Post Reply Email Thread
23rd March 2020, 12:19 PM |#44781  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,999

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

How come every emulation for Windows stopped when smartphones barely had 2 gigabytes of ram? I find it hard to believe some smartphones like S20 Ultra can't run it. I can imagine the coding needed to be done to make it work would be insane, but not impossible. Any idea if such projects are active?

If you are talking about an android emulator running on a windows system then that has not stopped. Developers do have emulators that are still running on windows. Look into Android Studio.

They are not easily rootable, but they are still emulators. I use them to test apps on official devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
23rd March 2020, 12:33 PM |#44782  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

Pf you are talking about an android emulator running on a windows system then that has not stopped. Developers do have emulators that are still running on windows. Look into Android Studio.

They are not easily rootable, but they are still emulators. I use them to test apps on official devices.

Thanks, but I am looking the other way around. Windows emulation running on Android systems. Any idea of these?
23rd March 2020, 12:41 PM |#44783  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Thanks, but I am looking the other way around. Windows emulation running on Android systems. Any idea of these?

Oh thats a lot harder. Windows is closed source. Even if the devices were powerful enough to run the latest version of windows source, someone would have to recode everything from scratch. Even on a PC, the equivalent of windows re-coded from scratch, is nowhere near windows. Its called ReactOS check it out on youtube. But it only runs on a PC, not an arm device; it would need to be re-coded again, and they are still in beta for a pc.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 02:18 AM |#44784  
Quote:

Oh thats a lot harder. Windows is closed source. Even if the devices were powerful enough to run the latest version of windows source, someone would have to recode everything from scratch. Even on a PC, the equivalent of windows re-coded from scratch, is nowhere near windows. Its called ReactOS check it out on youtube. But it only runs on a PC, not an arm device; it would need to be re-coded again, and they are still in beta for a pc.

If using an emulator, it shouldn't require recoding Windows, at least, not much, if any, should it? Isn't the point of using an emulator is to make it run on a system the software wasn't built for?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 05:30 AM |#44785  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

If using an emulator, it shouldn't require recording Windows, at least, not much, if any, should it? Isn't the point of using an emulator is to make it run on a system the software wasn't built for?

One of us has missed the point.

An emulator allows you to run software meant for the emulating OS. For example running excel on the Emulator.

I don't get where you mention "recording"? I can only guess you meant "re-coding"

As a software developer, an OS provides a standard guaranteed API that apps can use. eg In its simplest form, there is "draw a window" or "tell me when someone clicks on it and not somewhere else" etc etc etc etc etc. Now, these API's are expected by programs that run on the OS or they crash (ie calling a non-existent API, which I have done many times simply with a misspelling but is normally caught by the compiler). An OS like Windows, has countless API's, and each of these would need to be duplicated or software just wont run.

The closest I can think of is WINE on Linux, to run .Net windows applications. But, .Net is only used by some applications, the OS itself and apps that are not .Net, would require the base API's (.Net is a simplified layer into the base API's, of whatever OS your running on just like JAVA). ie. you would need to re-code all the standard and expected API's; its a contract with app developers as to what they can expect on that OS. And think for a second, do you not think the ReactOS developers are smarter than both me and you? obviously they are nowhere near finished, because of the need to duplicate each and every API. And its not just the API interface. Because its closed source, there will be some API interfaces that do more than can be garnered from their name or documentation. If it were easy, there would be many many more than ReactOS but there is not. People hate being tied to M$ but are stuck

And don't forget, we are talking OS, not apps.
24th March 2020, 07:34 AM |#44786  
Quote:

One of us has missed the point.

An emulator allows you to run software meant for the emulating OS. For example running excel on the Emulator.

I don't get where you mention "recording"? I can only guess you meant "re-coding"

As a software developer, an OS provides a standard guaranteed API that apps can use. eg In its simplest form, there is "draw a window" or "tell me when someone clicks on it and not somewhere else" etc etc etc etc etc. Now, these API's are expected by programs that run on the OS or they crash (ie calling a non-existent API, which I have done many times simply with a misspelling but is normally caught by the compiler). An OS like Windows, has countless API's, and each of these would need to be duplicated or software just wont run.

The closest I can think of is WINE on Linux, to run .Net windows applications. But, .Net is only used by some applications, the OS itself and apps that are not .Net, would require the base API's (.Net is a simplified layer into the base API's, of whatever OS your running on just like JAVA). ie. you would need to re-code all the standard and expected API's; its a contract with app developers as to what they can expect on that OS. And think for a second, do you not think the ReactOS developers are smarter than both me and you? obviously they are nowhere near finished, because of the need to duplicate each and every API. And its not just the API interface. Because its closed source, there will be some API interfaces that do more than can be garnered from their name or documentation. If it were easy, there would be many many more than ReactOS but there is not. People hate being tied to M$ but are stuck

And don't forget, we are talking OS, not apps.

But, emulating Windows on android has already been done before. At this point, it shouldn't be much more than a matter of making sure the emulator app is current to today's android and then installing one of the Windows OS's that have already been modified to run in an emulator on android, shouldn't it?

I've used Linux on android via emulator, they used modified versions of Linux, stripped down to run in less space, there are/were modified Windows.imgs that can run in emulator on android, I would think that those .imgs should still be usable provided that the emulator app is compatible with the android version being used.

24th March 2020, 08:44 AM |#44787  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:

But, emulating Windows on android has already been done before. At this point, it shouldn't be much more than a matter of making sure the emulator app is current to today's android and then installing one of the Windows OS's that have already been modified to run in an emulator on android, shouldn't it?

I've used Linux on android via emulator, they used modified versions of Linux, stripped down to run in less space, there are/were modified Windows.imgs that can run in emulator on android, I would think that those .imgs should still be usable provided that the emulator app is compatible with the android version being used.

I do not believe any comprehensive testing of windows on an android device would pass for daily use/replacement of a desktop PC. I repeat, ReactOS cant do so, what hope would any android attempt have. ReactOS have been trying it for years (on intel not arm) and are still in beta. Its relatively easy to mock something very limited up, that can only run specific things visually to fool people. A closed source that is GB's and GB's of code, and has been built and honed over 10's of years, is not going to be easily emulated. Any real usable emulation would probably not even physically fit on the current devices without huuuuge holes. Remember, Windows is MUCH more than a launcher app and the visual queues that makes it look like its working.

As for Linux on android, you are talking about an open source OS, and something that was even the starting point for Android. Windows is a different world universe. Just think, they still don't have windows, even M$, running on arm (ie bigger devices). Its a huge task. And if it were easy, M$ could open their market up to millions of new devices; although they may have their reasons to stay away from arm also on a marketing and not just technical position.

And we haven't even discussed the issue of if we are talking about simply running on arm devices, or as a true emulation running over android. Two completely different situations.An emulation would be the later, much more demand on a device to be running two OS's at the same time.
24th March 2020, 09:10 AM |#44788  
Quote:

I do not believe any comprehensive testing of windows on an android device would pass for daily use/replacement of a desktop PC. I repeat, ReactOS cant do so, what hope would any android attempt have. ReactOS have been trying it for years (on intel not arm) and are still in beta. Its relatively easy to mock something very limited up, that can only run specific things visually to fool people. A closed source that is GB's and GB's of code, and has been built and honed over 10's of years, is not going to be easily emulated. Any real usable emulation would probably not even physically fit on the current devices without huuuuge holes. Remember, Windows is MUCH more than a launcher app and the visual queues that makes it look like its working.

As for Linux on android, you are talking about an open source OS, and something that was even the starting point for Android. Windows is a different world universe. Just think, they still don't have windows, even M$, running on arm (ie bigger devices). Its a huge task. And if it were easy, M$ could open their market up to millions of new devices; although they may have their reasons to stay away from arm also on a marketing and not just technical position.

And we haven't even discussed the issue of if we are talking about simply running on arm devices, or as a true emulation running over android. Two completely different situations.An emulation would be the later, much more demand on a device to be running two OS's at the same time.

We are talking about true emulation.

I agree, it isn't the best at performance, due to having to run two OS's at the same time, but that isn't the point. My original point was that what the poster asked about is actually still currently possible. But, however possible, it isn't a truly viable option, that's why it has largely been left behind. It will probably come together in a viable manner eventually, though. The only reason I posted is because what you posted implied, "no, it can't be done without re-coding Windows", but that isn't quite true because there is already stuff available that can do this, it just isn't up to date and doesn't perform well enough to be truly viable for mobile platforms.

People have been installing 32bit Windows on x86 devices(especially Intel atom devices) for years with no issue, I've done it myself. Why is ReactOS having problems doing so?

24th March 2020, 11:16 AM |#44789  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:

People have been installing 32bit Windows on x86 devices(especially Intel atom devices) for years with no issue, I've done it myself. Why is ReactOS having problems doing so?

Do the research, I have already covered what I think would be their immediate issues. I have given you the entry point https://reactos.org/, for anyone who is really interested to understand why. Its not something I explicitly follow, so i would have to spend my time to answer any of your questions, any more than I already have., and then have to explain what my answers mean. I just don't believe its worth the time for me personally. I'll let ReactOS answer it, who will also have a clearer understanding of any current issues which they have many. They have a forum as well as list their current issues on their web page. I personally have installed it on VBox, and it was not stable nor ready to use as a daily OS.
24th March 2020, 03:02 PM |#44790  
Thanks Meter: 279

More
On my Galaxy Note 10+ I'm receiving texts with a time stamp that's ahead of time, for example

Sender: Hello (2:01pm)
Me: Hey! (1:56pm)

My time on my device is correct, and it's set to automatic, I've tried de selecting automatic then re selecting, I've always tried wiping the cache & data for the messages application, still happening

Any ideas please?

(Note: I imported my device, not sure if that makes a difference)
25th March 2020, 02:14 AM |#44791  
Flag Duitama
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Trying to flash ASUS ZenFone Go ZC500TG(Z00VD)
I'm having problems trying to downgrade my ASUS phone. It is stuck on a boot-loop and I never enabled USB debugging. I'm stuck on trying to get the command ./fastboot oem unlock because the operation is not allowed. I now know you can enable USB debugging through ADB but I can't get the drivers to install(I'm on win10 with signed driver enforcement turned off.)powershell error
device manager
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)